Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2021 4:55:16 PM EDT
Wife has a possible opportunity in Blacksburg, I’m familiar with the topography but not the town. Care to enlighten me?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
They just passed the strictest gun control they can.

Not unexpected in a liberal college town.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I guess I won’t be living in town.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Born and raised. I live in NC now but the family still lives there. I lived outside of town, and recommend it. Whitetail Outfitters is the only gun shop nearby, that I know of. Also, check out the Isaac Walton League. They have decent ranges and host shoots every weekend or so.
Blacksburg is beautiful, yes there are hippies and college libs, but the surrounding area is outstanding and the town itself isn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I swing by every few months.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It's one of the least liberal college towns you will find, but yes, there are commies in every school now.   Few colleges would have responded to the worst shooting massacre(at the time) in our history with as much class.  Still a night and day difference from Cville.  Go enjoy the mountains/caves,  the tech,  and may be run against the antifreedom peeps.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd be a nimrod to even consider it.

Blacksburg has been a victim of being a great place and now may as well be Berkeley or Frisco compared to the surrounding the area. Lots of NY and NJ transplants, very few people there who are actually from there. Over zealous town council and fun new gun laws. Christiansburg has the rot now too as people are priced out of Blacksburg. I'd suggest land in one of the adjacent counties. Please don't bring any more D voters with you.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Blacksburg has been a victim of being a great place and now may as well be Berkeley or Frisco compared to the surrounding the area. Lots of NY and NJ transplants, very few people there who are actually from there. Over zealous town council and fun new gun laws. Christiansburg has the rot now too as people are priced out of Blacksburg. I'd suggest land in one of the adjacent counties. Please don't bring any more D voters with you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fear of that brother.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
As VT alumni, Blacksburg and the surrounding area will always hold a special place in my heart. However, as already mentioned, it does have a fairly strong liberal influence, especially relative to the region, but it is a college town, so that should be expected these days. Still, I can think of a lot worse places to live. Go Hokies.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much like everyone said....it is a college town so restaurants and shops get crowded when school is in, but it is a very nice area! I'm in Roanoke County so I'm not going to push the commie lib thing since Roanoke City is worse if you ask me. One thing I will say is that it is very easy to go out say 20 minutes or so and find some nice property! Not sure where you are in NY, but I'm betting when you sell there your money will buy you way more here!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
You want to be in Montgomery County, Virginia.

Though the population in Bleaksburg is liable to drag the whole county around.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
There is less bars than when I went to VT but then you could legally drink at age 18
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm there usually multiple weekends a month.  I'd shy away from a commute on I-81 if at all possible when looking for housing.  You also will want to verify internet as it varies greatly when you get into the more rural areas.  Blacksburg/Christiansburg has plenty to offer but your cost of living/taxes will be higher in Montgomery and Roanoke Counties.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Christiansburg. My wife works for VT. Aside from the liberal college crap, it's a nice area with lots of outdoor activities. I'm a member at the local Izaak Walton. There's also a nice public range 5 minutes from downtown Blacksburg. I've been happy with the area for theost part. But the anti gun shit spewing out of Blacksburg is now spilling into Christiansburg.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As VT alumni, Blacksburg and the surrounding area will always hold a special place in my heart. However, as already mentioned, it does have a fairly strong liberal influence, especially relative to the region, but it is a college town, so that should be expected these days. Still, I can think of a lot worse places to live. Go Hokies.
View Quote

The engineering school tends to be a little more right leaning.

The College of Arts and Sciences (and  a number of other Colleges)
are left like just about every other University.

There are plenty of paces to shoot that are just a short drive.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s good to hear since I have a BS in Civil Engineering. I graduated in ‘01, and when I was there we would shoot at a range in Jefferson National Forest, off Craig Creek Rd just off 460.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That’s good to hear since I have a BS in Civil Engineering. I graduated in ‘01, and when I was there we would shoot at a range in Jefferson National Forest, off Craig Creek Rd just off 460.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sound like the same one we used in the early 1980s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#17]
There was another place to shoot off of McCoy Rd, on the way to New River Junction (the tubing place on the river).  This was back in the late 80's, early 90's.  I remember there was an open mine shaft there also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top