Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2022 8:23:44 AM EDT
I've been hit up by recruiter for a position in the Beaumont / Port Arthur area.  What can anyone tell me? Should I run, do I need a 20g for skeeters...Tell me everything.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You do not want to live in either one.
Nederland,Pt.Neches and Groves are in between the two.
They are great places to live,with good schools.
Sort of a modern Mayberry.
Tons of work here too.

ETA: Beaumont is the 4th. most dangerous city in Texas.
The hood rats in Beaumont and Pt.Arthur kill each other
at an amazing rate.Daily thing in the news.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I am in Nederland. Agree with Bigthicket. I grew up in Port Arthur. I dont there anymore unless I have to.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Born and raised in Beaumont. Live in way, way, way north PA now. It's a shit hole. None of us stay here for the beauty though.

The suburb cities aren't bad. My wife is from Port Neches. Beaumont has done a lot to be nicer but the crime is bad. PA is just a dump now. It's sad watching it spiral further and further into a third world shit hole.

But like anywhere, stay out of crime areas and don't be a drug addict and you're most likely gonna be ok. But be on your toes. It's violent to be a small area. PA has several shootings a week counting drive by's and same for Beaumont. The mid county cities are full of meth and heroin. Orange County also is full of heroin and meth. We get a lot of spill over crime from Houston too. The average person isn't victimized much. Other than idiots in mid county leaving their guns in unlocked cars.

There isn't much to do if you aren't into waterfowl hunting or fishing though. Houston isn't far though. Cost of living isn't bad. We can use more conservatives too. Two very good gun clubs nearby too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Live in Lumberton and commute
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Live in Lumberton and commute
View Quote

This. I lived in Beaumont for 2 years in the early 2000’s as my wife and I got started in life. It didn’t take us long to realize that we wanted to move. Ended up in Lumberton for the next 7 years and loved it.  FWIW, the one thing I routinely hear from co-workers who are still in the Beaumont area is if you’re already married and like outdoor things Beaumont isn’t a bad place to be. If you’re young, single and want a more active social life you likely won’t be as happy.  

We’ve moved around a lot, and are back in Texas now, just not the Beaumont area.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in Lumberton but currently live in Beaumont. Best school district is Hardin Jefferson if you have kids. Worst is Beaumont. My dad always called SETX the arm pit of the universe since it’s hot and humid 10 months out of the year with a hurricane every 8-10 years, floods, mosquitoes that will carry you away. Plenty of fishing and the beach sucks with the brown water. Good money to be made thanks to the refineries. Golden Triangle gun club has 600 yard range and good pistol ranges and matches but run by old men and has gotten expensive. Orange gun club has a 500 yard rifle range and run better.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have said, live in Lumberton, Sour Lake, even Liberty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lumberton and Sour Lake I can get, but Liberty? It's always struck me as a run down dump.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
The area is home for me, as I was born and raised here. Lived in Conroe for 15 years and moved back this year so kids could be closer to grandparents (currently live with InLaws). Love where I work, but I wouldn’t live in Beaumont or Port Arthur proper. No way.

We are looking in Orange or Vidor. I want 4-10 acres.

If you like to fish or duck hunt, you’re gonna love the area. If you like night life, it’s boring.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a surprising number of us around here. We need to have a range day one time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I love SE Tx
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a surprising number of us around here. We need to have a range day one time.
View Quote

Agreed. I would be open for a meet-up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed. I would be open for a meet-up.
View Quote

Same here.I belong to OGC.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same here.I belong to OGC.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#15]
If Texas had am asshole.  It'd be Beaumont/Port Arthur
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Depending on where you are working, I would try to live in a county that doesn’t touch the gulf so you don’t have to buy windstorm insurance.

Any idea on you budget for housing and what you are looking for in a house?  How far are you willing to commute?

Kids and schooling interests? (I would only live in Beaumont if I was wanting to send my kids to private school or if I sent them to a different district like Hardin Jefferson or Hamshire/Fannett…)

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depending on where you are working, I would try to live in a county that doesn't touch the gulf so you don't have to buy windstorm insurance.

Any idea on you budget for housing and what you are looking for in a house?  How far are you willing to commute?

Kids and schooling interests? (I would only live in Beaumont if I was wanting to send my kids to private school or if I sent them to a different district like Hardin Jefferson or Hamshire/Fannett )

View Quote
Being off the coast isn't gonna help that. Jasper and Newton got rocked hard during Rita.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Being off the coast isn't gonna help that. Jasper and Newton got rocked hard during Rita.
View Quote

Actually, if you don't live in a coastal county in Texas, you aren't required to have  separate windstorm coverage policy.  I live in Hardin county, and my normal homeowner's policy covers windstorm and/or hurricane damage.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Actually, if you don't live in a coastal county in Texas, you aren't required to have  separate windstorm coverage policy.  I live in Hardin county, and my normal homeowner's policy covers windstorm and/or hurricane damage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly..
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#20]
My sister’s first husband worked at JD Murphree wildlife area for a while. They lived in PA and their house kinda sucked. But man, if you loved to fish, this was the place.

We did some crabbing too with a string and a chicken leg. My mother claimed a crab had her string and wouldn’t let go. I grabbed the string and pulled up a 4 ft alligator who promptly broke the line. My mother crawled on top of the truck.

But the fucking flies would chase and bite you. Hard. Almost like getting pinched with pliers. And the burning tire smell was pretty common. Glad I visited but wouldn’t stay. Maybe if you could live a bit further inland.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. I just thought he meant going without.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lumberton and Sour Lake I can get, but Liberty? It's always struck me as a run down dump.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live between Liberty and Raywood. It’s quiet and rural. The town might be a dump, but it’s got that small town feel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Lumberton and Silsbee both are just a hop and a skip from Beaumont and things are pretty laid back here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top