Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2022 11:55:19 AM EDT
Wife & I have always had plans to move halfway back.
Seeing a few nice parcels that I could subdivide with other conservative family members with the same idea.
Is it too close to Ashville?
I don't mind being out in the sticks.
Would like to find a part time gig with my construction backround.

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely not too close to Asheville, it can get touristy in the summer.  Get behind one of those rafting buses for miles and miles and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Wife has found a few properties up for sale that have us interested. One on a nice creek
Curious if those creeks in the area get any major flooding?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Curious if those creeks in the area get any major flooding?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Pretty much any and all freestone creeks in WNC get major flooding at times.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
To further explain about flooding in mountain areas, no matter what state (NC, TN, KY, VA, WV) when a thunderstorm parks itself over a mountainous area the threat of flooding is real. Look at the rains that hit Eastern KY a few months ago along with the rains in SW VA. WV had some serious flooding just a few years ago. There’s simply no where for the rain to go except in creek bottoms. When several inches fall in a short timeframe, you’ve got serious flooding. The creeks can only handle so much water and it can only rise.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To further explain about flooding in mountain areas, no matter what state (NC, TN, KY, VA, WV) when a thunderstorm parks itself over a mountainous area the threat of flooding is real. Look at the rains that hit Eastern KY a few months ago along with the rains in SW VA. WV had some serious flooding just a few years ago. There’s simply no where for the rain to go except in creek bottoms. When several inches fall in a short timeframe, you’ve got serious flooding. The creeks can only handle so much water and it can only rise.
View Quote

I suppose I'll take that into consideration if I'm looking at a parcel with a home on it.
We still like FL hurricanes & all but a change of surroundings has been calling us.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I get what you’re saying. Can’t blame you a bit!

I would recommend a few things:

Always have a chainsaw with you.
Have a good, whole house generator and fuel supply.
Have a good well stocked pantry.
Have as much vertical elevation as you can close to a creek or river.
If and when bad weather hits, be prepared for it being awhile before getting relief of course depending how remote you end up being.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
1788 Upper Cove Rd cabin and 36+ acres is mine if you see the listing for it.

Beautiful area, extremely conservative populace.  Lots of rain annually.  Closest grocery store is in Robbinsville proper so it can be a haul depending on where you wind up.  Closest Lowes is in Murphy but the hardware store in Robbinsville is pretty stocked up on general supplies.  

Near Tail of the Dragon so keep an eye out for motorcycles, rice burners, and "race" cars on the roads.  

Only reason we're selling is that it's too far from my home in Charlotte for a quick trip.  Bout 4.5 hour drive for us.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Beautiful area, extremely conservative populace.  Lots of rain annually.  Closest grocery store is in Robbinsville proper so it can be a haul depending on where you wind up.  Closest Lowes is in Murphy but the hardware store in Robbinsville is pretty stocked up on general supplies.  

Near Tail of the Dragon so keep an eye out for motorcycles, rice burners, and "race" cars on the roads.  

Only reason we're selling is that it's too far from my home in Charlotte for a quick trip.  Bout 4.5 hour drive for us.  

View Quote

Nice looking place!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife sent me that listing this morning LOL
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#11]
OP today would be a good to check the creeks on any of the land you are looking at LOL

Edit: this is river close to our place. 20 ft is the highest we have seen it during the time we owned it

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top