Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2021 3:53:29 PM EDT
I am visiting my parents in tarpon springs for vacation. Today my father shows me his new G17 and asks me to go to the range with him to show him how to use it. I agree and ask him how many rounds he has and he pulls out 1 box of HST.  I think no problem and call “Reload” the local range to see if they have 9mm for range purchase. They say they don’t have any and are unsure if they will get some this week.

Now this is completely my dad’s fault as I have been warning him for years to get himself situated. If I knew he bought a gun I would have shipped some of my stash down to him.

I am here for a week and am looking for advice on where to find anything in the area north of Tampa so that I can go through the basics on his new pistol with him. I am willing to pay current crazy prices for a few boxes. I just would sleep better if I can get at least one range session in with him to cover the basics.

Tl;Dr
Father buys new gun and has no 9mm to test it.
I am looking to get a few boxes to go over the basics with him.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am visiting my parents in tarpon springs for vacation. Today my father shows me his new G17 and asks me to go to the range with him to show him how to use it. I agree and ask him how many rounds he has and he pulls out 1 box of HST.  I think no problem and call “Reload” the local range to see if they have 9mm for range purchase. They say they don’t have any and are unsure if they will get some this week.

Now this is completely my dad’s fault as I have been warning him for years to get himself situated. If I knew he bought a gun I would have shipped some of my stash down to him.

I am here for a week and am looking for advice on where to find anything in the area north of Tampa so that I can go through the basics on his new pistol with him. I am willing to pay current crazy prices for a few boxes. I just would sleep better if I can get at least one range session in with him to cover the basics.

Tl;Dr
Father buys new gun and has no 9mm to test it.
I am looking to get a few boxes to go over the basics with him.
View Quote

Shooter’s World on Fletcher Avenue in north Tampa had 9mm range ammo the last time I was there a few weeks ago.  You will pay for it, of course, but the place sounds like it will help you out with training Dad as the have by far the nicest range facility in Tampa there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Second the suggestion for Shooter's World. I am a member of the one in the Villages, great place for newbie's. They offer pretty low cost training sessions if interested. As of last Thursday the Villages location had plenty of ammo, especially 9mm. It was $40 a box of 50 for no-name/house brand, more for name brands, generally $1 per round for defensive/JHP.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Check it see if you have a Bass Pro nearby.  The other week they had 9mm Blazer Brass for $14.99, limit two .
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check it see if you have a Bass Pro nearby.  The other week they had 9mm Blazer Brass for $14.99, limit two .
View Quote

There's a Bass Pro in Brandon
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
ReLoad hasn't had Ammo since around Oct 2020. Place is totally empty of ammo and guns. Nice huge store...no stock of really anything  at all. I hope their business will be OK.

Shooterwold has ammo. Also right down US19 is TakeAim on the left (east side) as you head south. They have had ammo guns, accessories small cool store.

If you really get in a bind... I live in Palm Harbor Trinity area...I will sell you a box or 2 of 9mm brass shells target ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
give shoot straight in tampa (but closer to brandon, US 301 and MLK intersection) a call and see if they have ammo.

ETA disregard. i missed the north tampa part
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I just left Shooters World in Tampa off Fletcher....they have a lot of 9mm in stock... its $1.20 a round.... .45acp and 5.56 were all $1 a round in various brands.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you find some?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for the responses, the community on this site is amazing.
A local member reached out to me and helped me out. I went to reload this morning and was able to cover most of the basics with my father. I was disappointed they don’t allow drawing from a holster but understand the reasoning. It was crazy seeing a store that large basically empty of guns and ammo. Really nice place though.

Now that I know my father is all set I am going to work on getting a few more Spanish Mackerel with my boys before we head back to the frozen tundra.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you got hooked up. If ever in need again my local store usually has something in most calibers. If he's in need of more stock hit me up and I'll pass along the info. Probably an hour drive north from tarpon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top