Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2019 3:45:23 PM EDT
Background: Cincinnati native, currently in IA but looking to move back to Cincinnati area in next 12 months and want to end up in Dearborn County on 5-15 acres. I looked through the Indiana code online and can't find anything that says you cannot discharge a firearm on your own property. Usually there are some types of ordinances regarding the distance to a dwelling or property line but I can't find anything. What do I need to look for when selecting land? Any pitfalls to watch out for?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
There are no state laws on the subject. The state doesn't restrict it in any way as long as the bullet doesn't leave your property.

You need to check county ordinances in the county you want to move to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to know. I called the county sheriffs office and they also have none. Well this works out quite nicely.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]
You can shoot on your own property, but your property MUST be out of city limits.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot at my dad's place and he has a lot of land (can't quite remember how much he has sold off)
Anyway I set up a range on about 5 acres and built a nice safe backstop. I only go to a public range twice a year for a get together with some other people I know.
It's nice being able to shoot when I feel like it and it's just me so no idiot's to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're out in the township area, you should be able to shoot if you're allowed to hunt.  Townships seem to be more reactive to things that they can tax the value of.

One thing that is more of a good neighbor thing and than an ordinance thing is finding reasons why your neighbors may oppose you having a range or backstop on your property.  If a neighbor has horses,  be aware you may get calls when the horses go apeshit from the noise.  There may be no legal or ordinance reasons for you not to shoot on your property, however noise complaints may cause trouble, especially if you plan to improve your property or build more structures.   The guy who doesn't give a shit what his neighbors think will not be happy when his neighbors creatively find reasons for the township to deny building permits or ask for other permissions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top