Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2020 9:52:23 AM EDT
Talk to me about obtaining a nonresident Mass permit.  
I want to start fishin the shore from Maine south.  
Mass and RI are my biggest hurdle.  I can skip RI and be happy fishing the Cape/Canal.  

Give me everything u got.

Other than carrying, my car is a concern.  While they won't find drugs. They'll definitely find ammo & brass. I probably have atleast 100 mixed loose rounds and empties floating around in it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean your car....problem solved
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting (and keeping) it are a bit of a pain in the ass, but not so much so that it's not worth the effort.  Jump through the hoops and enjoy the flexibility of carrying in the great Commonwealth to the north.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The process of obtaining and maintaining an MA non-resident LTC isn't too horrible, but it involves some steps that can be inconvenient. It can also be epensive for some.

You will need a Mass BFS certificate. ie. it's not enough for the course to be on the Mass approved list; you need to take it from a Mass certified instructor who submits your name to MSP and awards you a certificate from the Commonwealth. There are some people in Connecticut who hold MA instructor credentials (e.g. I hold MA instructor credentials but can't teach an MA course/sign MA certificates until my LTC renewal is done being processed). As an experienced shooter, you might find going up to Mass and Taking NRA Home Firearm safety to be the easiest way to get a certificate.

The application process is straightforward. Many non-residents do end up with restricted license. In addition to the restriction classifications on the letter, they can sometimes come up with custom restrictions. Unrestricted licenses require an explanation and how one articulates it can impact whether they get a restricted or unrestricted license.

Renewals are usually efficient for time purposes, but this year has been a pain. I mailed mine in early April (I received my email receipt from FRB acknowledging receipt on 8 MAY 2020, nearly a month after mailing) and am still waiting for my renewal to be processed.  Obviously, that's a much longer than usual turn-around- especially on a mail-only renewal. This year has been my longest wait- even longer than my initial issue which took 7 months. Renewals are $100 per year.

The good news is that you only have to go to Chelsea every six years. The annual renewals in between can currently be accomplished by mail. It's important to send in renewal applications way before expiration.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Clean your car....problem solved
View Quote

No.
Quoted:
Getting (and keeping) it are a bit of a pain in the ass, but not so much so that it's not worth the effort.  Jump through the hoops and enjoy the flexibility of carrying in the great Commonwealth to the north.
View Quote

Quoted:
The process of obtaining and maintaining an MA non-resident LTC isn't too horrible, but it involves some steps that can be inconvenient. It can also be epensive for some.

You will need a Mass BFS certificate. ie. it's not enough for the course to be on the Mass approved list; you need to take it from a Mass certified instructor who submits your name to MSP and awards you a certificate from the Commonwealth. There are some people in Connecticut who hold MA instructor credentials (e.g. I hold MA instructor credentials but can't teach an MA course/sign MA certificates until my LTC renewal is done being processed). As an experienced shooter, you might find going up to Mass and Taking NRA Home Firearm safety to be the easiest way to get a certificate.

The application process is straightforward. Many non-residents do end up with restricted license. In addition to the restriction classifications on the letter, they can sometimes come up with custom restrictions. Unrestricted licenses require an explanation and how one articulates it can impact whether they get a restricted or unrestricted license.

Renewals are usually efficient for time purposes, but this year has been a pain. I mailed mine in early April (I received my email receipt from FRB acknowledging receipt on 8 MAY 2020, nearly a month after mailing) and am still waiting for my renewal to be processed.  Obviously, that's a much longer than usual turn-around- especially on a mail-only renewal. This year has been my longest wait- even longer than my initial issue which took 7 months. Renewals are $100 per year.

The good news is that you only have to go to Chelsea every six years. The annual renewals in between can currently be accomplished by mail. It's important to send in renewal applications way before expiration.
View Quote

Thank u.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.

Thank u.  
View Quote

Actual photo of your car.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]

No. Mines white
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No. Mines white
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#9]
One part I find annoying is they don't send you renewal reminders like they do in CT and other places - it's on you to remember, print your own forms, and send them in on time.

It also doesn't seem that they are allowing for any grace period this year.

Btw, it's ridiculous that it's taking them 8+ months to turn over an annual renewal.  Maybe this prompts them to do 2 or 3 year permits instead.  

Anyway, the bottom line is that the process is designed to be user unfriendly, but it's manageable if you're modestly organized.  There's a decent deli around the corner from the popo station if you want to grab a sandwich for the ride home from Chelsea.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One part I find annoying is they don't send you renewal reminders like they do in CT and other places - it's on you to remember, print your own forms, and send them in on time.

It also doesn't seem that they are allowing for any grace period this year.

Btw, it's ridiculous that it's taking them 8+ months to turn over an annual renewal.  Maybe this prompts them to do 2 or 3 year permits instead.  

Anyway, the bottom line is that the process is designed to be user unfriendly, but it's manageable if you're modestly organized.  There's a decent deli around the corner from the popo station if you want to grab a sandwich for the ride home from Chelsea.

Good luck.
View Quote

The 8+ month renewal is not typical. Usually my renewals have been in the 4 month or so range- especially with the mail in process. The downside is that they really haven't given me any information- even though I know that there is a staffer there who has put some effort into getting things addressed.

My initial was 7 months. At that time, I was able to get some very direct answers. The delay on that one was related to Mass DMH not responding to requests that were sent to them to confirm that applicants did not have psych records with them.

As far as places to grab a bite when your up there- there is quite a few places on Broadway (a main thoroughfare around the corner from the state bldg), including a decent burger restaurant.  Keep in mind that legal on street parking can be a little difficult to get. I say this for 2 reasons- one is that sometimes the visitor lot for the state building does fill-up, and 2d that if you do go somewhere after, be prepared to walk a little.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#11]
A Mass Non-Res permit is almost worthless.  You can carry but that's it.  You CAN NOT buy one single round of ammo anywhere from any place with a non-res license.  As mentioned above you can get into big trouble with empty brass and/or live ammo in your car.  You'll get arrested, period.  I know.....why empy brass cases are dangerous is absolutely ludicrous to even think about but there you have it.

I had every non-resident license MASS offers at one time: Fishing, firearm hunting, carry permit, and even a C&R.  Still, I could not buy shotgun shells to hunt with, period.

Add that to the fact that you have to reapply every year without a renewal reminder and.....well.....they make it difficult on purpose.  What if you lived in Florida and wanted a non-res?  How to you handle the face- to-face interview?

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A Mass Non-Res permit is almost worthless.  You can carry but that's it.
View Quote

I would think that being able to carry is the BIGGEST benefit of the non-resident permit.  I can get ammo here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Have had a MA permit for several years as I belong to a great range in Agawam and have family in MA which I see often as well as pleasure trips over the border.  As stated, being able to carry like here is the real benefit and fortunately I have had unrestricted since the beginning.  

The greatest frustration is not only having to renew annually with a full application like new and of course the 100 bucks but the necessity to give them a "justifiable reason" in their minds why you wish/need to carry.  2A, self protection, carry valuables (like guns!) crime statistics etc. not good enough.  They may give you a restricted carry like target shooting, hunting or recreational like hiking/cross country skiing.  But you better keep your firearm locked and unloaded until you get to those locations.  So I guess you can protect yourself skiing but not when you stop for gas, eat, shop, get a flat in Springfield in the wrong neighborhood etc.  Hard to justify the logic for any of this bs.  

I know there's varying opinions on a National carry permit but trying to stay legal because you cross a line on a map is a PIA and certainly not what the founders intended.  We will be moving soon to South Carolina and despite having 4 current permits, CT resident, MA, PA and FL non-resident none are accepted there and now they require another class by a SC instructor to sign off on your application and another wait for months to carry legally.  Ironically there you can legally have a pistol in your covered unlocked glovebox or console without a permit.  Just don't take it out of the car... Hold on bad guy, I need to get back in my car.

Sorry for the semi rant.  If you feel you will personally benefit from a MA permit go for it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Fun Fact...I bought my first machinegun in Mass in 1989.  Ayer, Mass CLEO...looked at me funny, but signed the F4.  Can you even own NFA in Mass anymore?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fun Fact...I bought my first machinegun in Mass in 1989.  Ayer, Mass CLEO...looked at me funny, but signed the F4.  Can you even own NFA in Mass anymore?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Machineguns are still possible. You need a machinegun license, in addition to an LTC-A. For residents, those are issued by the local CLEO who have varying levels of willingness.

See the excerpt from MGL c. 140 s. 131
(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:

(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;

(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license.

[Second sentence of paragraph (o) applicable as provided by 2017, 110, Sec. 53.]

Clauses (i) and (ii) of this paragraph shall not apply to bump stocks and trigger cranks.

(p) The executive director of the criminal history systems board shall promulgate regulations in accordance with chapter 30A to establish criteria for persons who shall be classified as bona fide collectors of firearms.

500 CMR 6.02 defines the meaning of the term 'bonafide collector of firearms.'

Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms. A “bona fide collector of firearms,” for the purpose of issuance
of a machine gun license, shall be defined as an individual who acquires firearms for such lawful
purposes as historical significance, display, research, lecturing, demonstration, test firing, investment
or other like purpose. For the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license the acquisition of firearms
for sporting use or for use as an offensive or defensive weapon shall not qualify an applicant as a bona
fide collector of firearms. An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. c. 44, §§ 921-929 and 27
CFR Part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of501 CMR 6.00.

There is also a provision of MGL c. 140 s. 131F that does allow the state to issue a machine gun license to non-residents who are employed by machinegun manufacturers (for transportation and testing purposes).

A license, otherwise in accordance with provisions of this section, may be issued to a nonresident employee, whose application is endorsed by his employer, of a federally licensed Massachusetts manufacturer of machine guns to possess within the commonwealth a machine gun for the purpose of transporting or testing relative to the manufacture of machine guns, and the license shall be marked ''temporary license to possess a machine gun'' and may be issued for any term not to exceed two years and shall expire in accordance with the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one.

Disguised firearm AOWs and and short barreled shotguns are banned in Massachusetts.

The various handgun transfer requirements (EOPS roster, AG's regulations) effectively bar dealers from transferring SBRs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top