Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/1/2019 11:05:34 PM EDT
Probably going to be travelling to/through Iowa a bit this year and have some ccw questions.  I've read some various sites on Iowa ccw laws and it seems pretty standard for the most part.  I'm curious about this, though:

Where Can't I Carry a Concealed Firearm in Iowa?
"In, on or within 100' of weapons-free zones, including public or private elementary, secondary schools and public parks;"

Does this mean that it's illegal to drive by a school while carrying because the road is within 100' of a school?

What is the definition of "public parks" as opposed to state and national parks which appear to be okay to ccw in?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
if you have not already done so, check out https://www.handgunlaw.us/
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks to our Iowa Attorney General, it varies from county to county. His opinion is that counties and municipalities can make their own rules.

In Wright county, you cannot carry on county property, or any city property in certain towns.

Gun free zones vary from county to county.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks to our Iowa Attorney General, it varies from county to county. His opinion is that counties and municipalities can make their own rules.

In Wright county, you cannot carry on county property, or any city property in certain towns.

Gun free zones vary from county to county.
View Quote
Not quite. If they have a metal detector then you won't be able to carry there. I would avoid court houses though. Signs in this state carry no force of law. City and county parks or other properties are not off limits. Use of a weapon and brandishing is prohibitedbut possession and carry is not. The only thing these counties have are resolutions which do not have a penalty attached and are not law. The AG's opinion does not overrule preemption law. Now I wouldn't open carry in any of those places just to avoid attention but I carry in my counties Admin building even though there is a sign and an armed officer there. All he could do is ask me to leave same as any other posted place. If I refuse then I could be charged with trespass but that is it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Good info.  Thank you everybody.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top