Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2020 2:17:44 PM EDT
Talk to me about knife laws in Florida.

Can you “concealed carry” a fixed blade KA-BAR TDI knife? Carry it as a tool? I have an out-of-state concealed carry permit that is recognized by Florida, if that means anything.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Knife laws are not statewide, but are local city/county. So you'll have to look each area up separately.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Knife laws are not statewide, but are local city/county. So you'll have to look each area up separately.
View Quote
Great.. another state with no preemption.

Would I be better with a simple folder? What’s a “commonly accepted” blade length for that in FL?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Local authorities have made a mess of knife laws.
Each city/county has there own. Prolly, the local cops can't figure out knife laws either.

State says any knife over 4" needs a CWP to conceal.
I throw a 6" bowie in my backpack all the time or wear it open.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Local authorities have made a mess of knife laws.
Each city/county has there own. Prolly, the local cops can't figure out knife laws either.

State says any knife over 4" needs a CWP to conceal.
I throw a 6" bowie in my backpack all the time or wear it open.
View Quote
Does an out-of-state permit cover this?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does an out-of-state permit cover this?
View Quote
I would only assume.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Great.. another state with no preemption.

Would I be better with a simple folder? What’s a “commonly accepted” blade length for that in FL?
View Quote
Case law defines a "common pocketknife" as a folding knife with a blade of 4 inches or less.

A common pocketknife is not a weapon per F.S.790.001

(13) “Weapon” means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.001.html

That's the most help I can give due to the lack of preemption.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Florida Does have preemption, Just firearms.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Florida issues a concealed "weapons and firearms" license which covers a multitude of non firearms weapons. Carrying on an out of state concealed "Firearms" license you could find yourself in serious trouble carrying a concealed "weapon" if you got stopped by the wrong LEO. Best bet is to either open carry the TDI or go to a folder with a blade 4" or less.
View Quote
Appreciate the good response! Unfortunately, due to all of this nonsense, we canceled our trip to the Sunshine State.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top