Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2021 8:02:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:24:01 PM EDT
I've always enjoyed that area. Good healthcare, any store you want nowadays, the lakes. Might be a higher COL being a big tourist area though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:43:54 AM EDT
I'm about 45 miles west of there. It's where we do most of our shopping. You have Fleet Farm, Menards, Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, Cub, etc.

There's an indoor gun range, now Bills, that has a USPSA style league, I go there in the winter, fun times. Made some good friends.

But I'm a rural kind of guy, only go there for shopping or shooting.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:46:05 AM EDT
Sort of center of MN Not to far to the twin cities, Duluth, or Fargo Moorhead for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:53:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:44:47 AM EDT
I'm more familiar with the area to the east of Brainerd, roughly halfway between Brainerd and Aitkin.

The land there is a weird mash-up of farm land, rolling hills, and swamp. I own a 23 acre patch east of Brainerd that is mostly underwater (thin strip of rolling land and woods sandwiched between a big swamp and a county road. Right across that county road is a big flat field. My land was pretty cheap, largely because most of it is useless. I'm sure that the neighbor's land would go for a much higher rate. That being said, I know a few people who purchased relatively large lots in the area for a song.

Cell phone coverage is very hit or miss. I've been told that iron deposits in the ground have something to do with that. I have no idea how true that really is. I can stream video on my phone at my cabin. I can't make an emergency call at my friend's house 10 miles away. Keep that in mind when you are looking at a place there.

I usually take 169 up from the cities. Traffic sucks going through Elk River, but it's almost always very open after that. I've heard that taking 10/ 371 is pretty easy going, but it would be a long backtrack for me. Driving through Brainerd reminds me of driving through some of the outer ring suburbs. Traffic flows well but the main roads are busy most of the time. Road construction can really throw a wrench into the works, and finding back ways between towns when a large section of road is closed can be tough. Detours get long fast. Hwy 210 was re-paved between Brainerd and Crosby a year or two ago, so that should stay open for a long time.

If you start wandering southeast of the Brainerd area, especially past Garrison, you start getting close to a reservation. I don't think that it is nearly as sketchy as the Red Lake reservation, but I definitely keep in mind where I am when I'm passing through.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:32:34 AM EDT
This is tourist season, the traffic is at it's heaviest. You should have seen it on a Friday night of a holiday weekend before the 371 bypass and before 371 became four lane!

I avoid going there on the weekend, Monday through Thursday it ain't bad, though if it rains it seems like all the summer lake people go shopping.

It is pretty sandy around there. Unless you're buying a farm you will be paying recreational prices, which at some points in time have been higher than farm land in that area. Not sure where it stands now.

I'm mostly familiar with west of Brainerd. Pillager is a growing community and seems to be doing well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2021 7:28:34 PM EDT by eagle308us]
Wife and I are in the process of selling and moving to Staples/Motley/Pillager area

I love the area. Spent best part of childhood there. Looking forward to being back permanently.

We always avoided town on weekend during summer. Its typically crazy with city people and they tend to be more rude. But locals are great and helpful
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:39:34 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:

I usually take 169 up from the cities.

View Quote

I usually run 35 up to North Branch and then cut over on 95 to Princeton to get to 169.  But that works for me since I'm on the east side of the twin cities.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:17:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
We would be living rural on acreage.

Coming from Minnesota, further south.
View Quote

Pro: It's a nice area, good conservative people and as you said, you'll be on your own acreage.
Con: It's still MN so you're subject to the crazed liberals in the metro passing ever more draconian laws and taxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE ARFCOM Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive one email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Only subscribers with a registered ARFCOM account are eligible to win.
Top Top