Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2021 2:45:58 PM EDT
We are flying into Dallas and visiting friends and family in McKinney, Mansfield, and Conroe. What are the must see's in the areas? Is it worth the drive to San Antonio to see the Alamo?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m in Mckinney. Nothing must see here. Some good bbq close by. There is plenty to do within reasonable drive. Ft worth stock yards, museums etc. I personally liked visiting the Alamo. But I don’t think I would drive to San Antonio just to see it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We are flying into Dallas and visiting friends and family in McKinney, Mansfield, and Conroe. What are the must see's in the areas? Is it worth the drive to San Antonio to see the Alamo?
View Quote

Conroe is a fairly long drive from DFW, it is closer to Houston.  San Antonio on the other hand is a much longer drive yet.  It is 6-8 hours from DFW, depending on the route you take and what time you go through some areas traffic wise.  So I am not sure I would drive just to see the Alamo.

That is not to say the Alamo is not worth seeing.  But it is worth taking maybe 2-3 days as a separate vacation just to see the San Antonio area, and possibly go as far as Austin if you want to see some of the worthwhile things there (Texas State Capitol, Bob Bullock Museum, etc.).  Perhaps Fredericksburg, the Nimitz WWII Museum is pretty fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Conroe is a fairly long drive from DFW, it is closer to Houston.  San Antonio on the other hand is a much longer drive yet.  It is 6-8 hours from DFW, depending on the route you take and what time you go through some areas traffic wise.  So I am not sure I would drive just to see the Alamo.

That is not to say the Alamo is not worth seeing.  But it is worth taking maybe 2-3 days as a separate vacation just to see the San Antonio area, and possibly go as far as Austin if you want to see some of the worthwhile things there (Texas State Capitol, Bob Bullock Museum, etc.).  Perhaps Fredericksburg, the Nimitz WWII Museum is pretty fantastic.
View Quote

Yes, if I was just sight-seeing it would be Austin/ San Antonio area.

Dallas/ Fort Worth, well there's plenty of places to eat, shop, go to Six Flags and a water park, but you can do that in just about every other major American city.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it worth it drive to NASA from Conroe?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

San Antonio on the other hand is a much longer drive yet.  It is 6-8 hours from DFW, depending on the route you take and what time you go through some areas traffic wise.
View Quote

You do know that they got rid of the 55 mph speed limit like 40 years ago? It should be around a 4 hr drive.....in a car or truck.

As others have said San Antonio is great but I would spend 2-3 days there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it worth it drive to NASA from Conroe?
View Quote

NASA is cool. I would drive down to see it and from there you could always bebop on down to Galveston.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Houston area:
Museum District
Zoo
NASA
Kemah Boardwalk
Galveston(strand and sea wall). Stay away from the boardwalk. It's just a tourist trap and you pay just go on the thing.
Moody Gardens
Battleship Texas (might be closed right now)
San Jacinto Monument
Theres other stuff to do but it's not anything greatly specific to Houston. Just to a big city.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on how old the kids are, the Perot museum in Dallas. Dallas Aquarium is nice as well if you’re downtown. 6th floor museum or at least go by where jfk was shot. Reunion tower visit. Train museum in Frisco, near McKinney. Ft Worth Zoo (better than Dallas). Several air museums around DFW. And, my wife says to mention art museums. Ther. I’ve mentioned them.

Agree with the other comments on San Antonio. Good, but more than a day trip.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You do know that they got rid of the 55 mph speed limit like 40 years ago? It should be around a 4 hr drive.....in a car or truck.

View Quote

The problem isn't the speed limit.. its how f'd up 35 can be with traffic and accidents... when the speed limit was 65 over 20 years ago, I could make it to san antonio from DFW in less than 4 hours... now? 5 hours if I'm lucky during the day...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Just understand that Texas is a large state.  Driving across a city can sometimes be bad enough - The drives between Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston are day killers.  Ok, maybe not necessarily that bad - but without googling it, I think they are all roughly 4hrs at the speed limit.  Plus driving through any of them is another 1-2hrs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Should be" are the key words there.  You are lucky to get anywhere near the speed limit in traffic half the time.  Maybe 4-5 hours if you start at like 3am.  But during the day it can take over an hour just to get through Austin if you take IH35 from DFW to San Antonio, longer if there are accidents which are frequent.  It has taken me that long to get through Waco when IH35 has had construction.  IH35 is always under construction somewhere it seems.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just understand that Texas is a large state.  Driving across a city can sometimes be bad enough - The drives between Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston are day killers.  Ok, maybe not necessarily that bad - but without googling it, I think they are all roughly 4hrs at the speed limit.  Plus driving through any of them is another 1-2hrs.
View Quote
How are cops and the speed limit? I know when I work in Kommifornia, I can usually safely go 10 mph over the speed limit on the freeway and not worry about getting pulled over. Az is pretty good about it to. Not sure about Texas.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How are cops and the speed limit? I know when I work in Kommifornia, I can usually safely go 10 mph over the speed limit on the freeway and not worry about getting pulled over. Az is pretty good about it to. Not sure about Texas.
View Quote

I will usually do about 5 over. Or if in big city just go with the flow. Seems like they tend to get people who stand out. As long as you are not doing crazy stuff like tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic they will usually leave you alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top