Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2023 3:10:49 PM EDT
I'll be traveling to Chicago for the ASCO conference.  I've connected through Chicago with firearms many times, just never as my destination.

I'm only going to be at the conference center and around the river north hotel area and most likely just leave the G26 with a 24 rnd backup mag locked in my hotel room for the most part.

Any issues you think I may have with this?

Thanks

-P
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not let your carry weapon, magazines, even loose rounds of ammo be seen by hotel housekeeping staff. You will get a visit from Chicago PD whether it is warranted or not. Even though your hotel room is considered your domicile while you occupy it, CPD always investigates firearm reports.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't possess pistol mags over 15 rounds in IL under the new AWB.

If you are in Chicago or surrounding burbs with such a mag and get caught be prepared to be loved tenderly.

Flying into an airport with such checked in is asking to be charged with a felony.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:21:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sendit14] [#3]
You're flying into Chicago? You're hoteling in the city? Your venue is McCormick Place? You're surrounded by healthcare professionals? And you want to bring a weapon?

No good will come from this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, good to know 15 round backup mag max.  I travel with my G26 in a v-line mechanical lock safe in a locked pelican suitcase so should be fine for curious housekeeping.

sendit14, this is not reddit and given the current downward slide of Chicago a level of personal protection is very much warranted there.

Thanks!

-P
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Being from out of state, I'd be cautious of bringing standard capacity magazines that hold over 15 rounds. That being said, mere possession of one is not a felony because they were grandfathered in. Where it gets sticky is if you buy, sell, import or carry a loaded one after the bill was signed into law January of this year. The penalty for doing so is a petty offense with the possibility of a $1000 fine..........it literally says that on page 110, section F.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pikachu:
Okay, good to know 15 round backup mag max.  I travel with my G26 in a v-line mechanical lock safe in a locked pelican suitcase so should be fine for curious housekeeping.

sendit14, this is not reddit and given the current downward slide of Chicago a level of personal protection is very much warranted there.

Thanks!

-P
View Quote

Hey pikachu, I'm unclear about the reddit piece but my comment is genuine and intended to help. Perhaps my pointed brevity could have been softened a bit.

Chicago used to be the place where cops carried blackjacks and criminals knew the cops would use them. Now, Chicago cops - literally - stand and watch while the criminals - literally - riot, start fires, and gang assault a lone female (they took video). Unfortunately, the solution is not personal responsibility, mostly due to Chicago and IL appetite to aggressively prosecute perceived infractions.

I would dissuade residents and nonresidents alike from violating the myriad no-gun policies at most Chicago locations. Given that you are attending an oncology event versus, say, a Chicago version of Shot Show, there is higher likelihood of someone reporting you if you choose to ignore McCormick Center policy. I submit that transporting a weapon which will not leave it's case but can possibly result in felony charges out of state is unwise.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to the IL folks for your advice and sendit14 I'll most likely leave the handgun locked in the hotel.  I don't really need it at the congress with a bunch of other scientists and doctors for sure they largely super left wing nutters.

Last year's meeting I was accosted by some homeless guy while eating a steak dinner alone outside.  It was truly unnerving.

-P
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have to use it, the city of Chicago will spend limitless money to make an example of you.

Imagine Rittenhouse, but with a much less friendly judicial system, and you aren't a good looking 18yo boyscout.

There's a reason many, many Illinoians stay out of the city.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Cook County has a 10 round mag limit, far as I know if you dont have a CCL its 10 rounds as the state AWB doesnt overide the crooked county AWB ban.  IMO

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Yore353:
Cook County has a 10 round mag limit, far as I know if you dont have a CCL its 10 rounds as the state AWB doesnt overide the crooked county AWB ban.  IMO

View Quote

Here's where it gets annoying.

That Cook County Ban only applies to unincorporated cook, or cities that embrace the ban. There is essentially a minefield/checkerboard of cities where 10+ is legal, and others where it is illegal.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

That Cook County Ban only applies to unincorporated cook, or cities that embrace the ban. There is essentially a minefield/checkerboard of cities where 10+ is legal, and others where it is illegal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
Originally Posted By Yore353:

And Chicago has its own separate AWB as well.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck with shooting a street urchin bugging you while eating outside. Otherwise, roll the dice and take your chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top