Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2020 12:18:24 AM EDT
Yes I know I should process my own deer but I was just never taught how to. With that said I’ve never taken my deer to the taxidermist either. Just tag and to butcher shop.

This year I’m taking my son hunting and he really wants his deer on the wall even if a doe and I figure his first deer I want to do this for him.

My question is how does that work tagging wise. Do I put the tag in and go to the meat processor first and just leave the body there? Then take the head and cape to the taxidermist with the tag in? The taxidermist is only two miles from my parents house we will be hunting and the butcher shop maybe 20 min away. Didn’t know if I could drop off at taxidermist first.

Also does the butcher shop or taxidermist remove the head/cape the deer? I’m sure I can figure it out via YouTube just never had to do it before and not sure when it gets done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The tag stays with the head. It’s supposed to be attached to the ear. The butcher does not need the tag to process the meat. I’d have the butcher cape it out or the taxidermist if you have never done it before. If you do if yourself just try not to puncture the hide when skinning the animal. Use a good knife and leave a little more hide with it than you think you’ll need. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube on how to do it. The tag will stay with the head and hide. Where in PA are you located or hunt at?

https://youtu.be/0TT3sy6p0pw
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The tag stays with the head. It’s supposed to be attached to the ear. The butcher does not need the tag to process the meat. I’d have the butcher cape it out or the taxidermist if you have never done it before. If you do if yourself just try not to puncture the hide when skinning the animal. Use a good knife and leave a little more hide with it than you think you’ll need. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube on how to do it. The tag will stay with the head and hide. Where in PA are you located or hunt at?

https://youtu.be/0TT3sy6p0pw
View Quote

Perfect info thank you. I’m now in Berks near Fleetwood but hunt my parents in Lancaster, near middle creek, Denver area.

I didn’t know you could take the deer to the butcher without a tag. I may try to do my own this year because I really want to teach my sons how to do it.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I never got around to butchering my own deer.

As stated, the tag stays with the deer. I tell my butcher if I’m going to have the deer mounted and he’ll cape out the deer for a shoulder mount.

When I come back to pick up my meat, the caped head....with tag is in a different box. I’ll then drop that box off at my taxidermist.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never got around to butchering my own deer.

As stated, the tag stays with the deer. I tell my butcher if I’m going to have the deer mounted and he’ll cape out the deer for a shoulder mount.

When I come back to pick up my meat, the caped head....with tag is in a different box. I’ll then drop that box off at my taxidermist.
View Quote

Nice, I didn’t know they could go that long. I thought they had to go to the taxidermist right away. Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top