Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2018 2:25:28 AM EDT
Hello AZ;
I love food. I also love to make silly YouTube videos like this. I want to learn to make epic tacos. Beef (Asada) is my favorite, but in full disclosure. I am planning on making tacos out of a giant rat called a Nutria. They are an invasive species here in the PNW, and we can shoot the buggers all year long. I think Nutria tacos would be a fun video to make. Can any of you give me some guidance?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello AZ;
I love food. I also love to make silly YouTube videos like this. I want to learn to make epic tacos. Beef (Asada) is my favorite, but in full disclosure. I am planning on making tacos out of a giant rat called a Nutria. They are an invasive species here in the PNW, and we can shoot the buggers all year long. I think Nutria tacos would be a fun video to make. Can any of you give me some guidance?
View Quote
First off, eww. Secondly, just follow a beef carne asada recipe. That should get you pretty damn close to edible.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off, eww. Secondly, just follow a beef carne asada recipe. That should get you pretty damn close to edible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello AZ;
Do you have one that you are partial to?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thin cut the meat and marinade, then cook on a grill using Mesquite wood.

My marinade is beer, soy sauce, onion, garlic, cilantro, pepper, and fresh lime juice.

Leave it to marinade at least 4 hours, 8 is better.

ETA...

I like it with a green salsa and a side of refries.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thin cut the meat and marinade, then cook on a grill using Mesquite wood.

My marinade is beer, soy sauce, onion, garlic, cilantro, pepper, and fresh lime juice.

Leave it to marinade at least 4 hours, 8 is better.

ETA...

I like it with a green salsa and a side of refries.
View Quote
How much of each of those? Do you have a written recipe to share?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Since nutria is more pork like in flavor, I would go the carnitas direction.

You can do it three ways.. in lard, in coke, or in water with spices.

here is a simple coke verison, but if it is a lean meat, I might opt for the slow cook in lard!

I would top it with pico de gallo or mexican relish(onion, cilantro, lime juice) and maybe a dallop of guacamole.

https://cafedelites.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooked-pulled-pork/

Pork Carnitas (Mexican Slow Cooker Pulled Pork)
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
10 hrs
Total Time
10 hrs 10 mins

Crispy Pork Carnitas (Mexican Slow Cooked Pulled Pork) is a winner! The closest recipe to authentic Mexican Carnitas (NO LARD), with a perfect crisp finish!

Course: Dinner
Cuisine: Mexican
Servings: 12
Calories: 228 kcal
Author: Karina - Cafe Delites

Ingredients
Carnitas
4 pounds (or 2 kg) skinless, boneless pork butt (or shoulder)
3-4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano (or Mexican oregano)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 large brown or white onion , cut into wedges
8 cloves garlic , smashed
2 limes , juiced
2 large oranges , juiced (or 3/4 cup natural orange juice)
3/4 cup coke (Original or Mexican coke is ideal)*
2 bay leaves

Instructions

Rinse and pat dry pork with a paper towel.
In the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker, add pork, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, onion, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, coke, and bay leaves.
Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat for 5-6 hours (until the meat falls apart).
Remove pork and shred with two forks (DO NOT DISCARD THE LIQUID!)

TO CRISP IN THE OVEN:
Transfer the pork to a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking oil spray (or lined with aluminium foil or parchment paper).
Pour 1 ladle full (about 1 cup) of the liquid from the slow cooker over the pork to season. Broil for 5-10 minutes on high heat until the meat becomes golden browned and crispy on the edges.

TO CRISP ON STOVE:
Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a non stick pan or cast iron skillet over high heat. When pan is hot, add pork in batches of two or three, and sear until just beginning to crisp. Ladle over about 1/2 cup of left over liquid, and continue cooking until the juices begin to reduce down and the meat is nice and crispy!

TO SERVE:
Season with a little extra salt and pepper if desired. Pour over more of the slow cooker juices once the meat has crisped for added flavour, just before serving! Serve in Tacos, Burritos, or in a salad!

Recipe Notes
*Coke with cane sugar instead of corn syrup is ideal, however you can use any coke. Alternatively, substitute with chicken broth (chicken stock).
**If you don't like the sound of this particular carnitas recipe, try my tomato based crispy pulled pork!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I will do the lard method. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
and please don't deep fry the shells into taco bell tortilla chip garbage
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Rat racos

Seriously man, GD this for a dinner pic. Don't reveal the meat source! Go all out on this and then give the recipe at the end for maximum trolling power
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rat racos

Seriously man, GD this for a dinner pic. Don't reveal the meat source! Go all out on this and then give the recipe at the end for maximum trolling power
View Quote
I like where your head is at. That sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How much of each of those? Do you have a written recipe to share?
View Quote
Depending on amount of meat, this is for several pounds...

1 can of cheap beer, soy till the beer looks Black, 3 cloves of Garlic crushed, Limes (fresh) at least 3 for juice, pepper and cilantro to taste.

As to the onion, depends on what you use, half a full white, or Two handfuls of chive type.

Meat should be completely covered, let sit for 8 hours.

It'll work on pork, cheap cuts of beef, or even river rat.

Serve with corn tortillas and refried beans.

ETA...

Extra points for grilled chilies!
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate Tacos, I refuse to eat more than a dozen a day.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a conversation with my brother this weekend about eating Nutria. I have decided it is not worth the effort. I will be using the guidance from this post to hopefully make some tasty tacos. Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]
There went my dreams of someone masterfully trolling GD

Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There went my dreams of someone masterfully trolling GD

View Quote
Just share my "Epic Biscuits, and Sausage Gravy" video with them. Tell them how much you love it. You will get to see me receive 6 pages of abuse for cutting my biscuits square (also under mixing them), and putting mushrooms, onions, and spices in gravy. You sir, could be a troll master!
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
and please don't deep fry the shells into taco bell tortilla chip garbage
View Quote
...shells go in shotguns.  Tortillas go under tacos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top