Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Standing is whatever a judge wants it to be.  If they don't want to rule on a case, they just whip that out from under their robes.

Universities filed challenges to President's Trumps immigrant restrictions with the idea that they were going to lose out on students coming in from other countries and thereby lose high dollar out of state tuition - a thin reed of standing but good enough for a judge who wanted to say Yes.

Abortion shops have blanket standing to file lawsuits against abortion laws, on behalf on unnamed clients who the court just assumes will be impacted.

You're a dumb ass if you don't understand the standing game that judges play.  

A Texas business could simply say they were going to lose money by not being able to make and sell Texas only suppressors, if not allowed.

No one knows how it'll play out in court, and you're a fool if you think you do.  As before, the most important aspect of gun rulings in court is who's the judge.  Were they appointed by a Dem or a Republican?  Are they conservative if a Republican or a RINO?  We'll see what happens.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Guys in KS never went to jail and the state refused to defend them under the law they made... As of Sept 1 cans are decriminalized as far as TX is concerned. So just be smart about it, like all those pot sellers and smokers that didn't get raided by the feds. The feds do not have unlimited resources and rely heavily on state authorities to bring charges or sniff out law breakers. Don't make the feds job easy like the guys in KS (found by feds on social media).

Unless there is a convention of the states to kick the rabid fed overreach in the teeth, civil disobedience will continue to be key in taking our rights back from the machine. Here's to hoping they decriminalize SBRs and SBSs in TX next session... (doubtful, I know)
Remove:

• (10)  "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

from the penal code this time around.

ETA: the manufacturers should be pinned to the Texas forum in a Texas manufacturers post.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Standing is whatever a judge wants it to be.  If they don't want to rule on a case, they just whip that out from under their robes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not true on the federal level. If you had read the link above:
In Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife (90-1424), 504 U.S. 555 (1992), the Supreme Court created a three-part test to determine whether a party has standing to sue:

The plaintiff must have suffered an "injury in fact," meaning that the injury is of a legally protected interest which is (a) concrete and particularized and (b) actual or imminent
There must be a causal connection between the injury and the conduct brought before the court
It must be likely, rather than speculative, that a favorable decision by the court will redress the injury

Universities filed challenges to President's Trumps immigrant restrictions with the idea that they were going to lose out on students coming in from other countries and thereby lose high dollar out of state tuition - a thin reed of standing but good enough for a judge who wanted to say Yes.

Abortion shops have blanket standing to file lawsuits against abortion laws, on behalf on unnamed clients who the court just assumes will be impacted.

You're a dumb ass if you don't understand the standing game that judges play.  

A Texas business could simply say they were going to lose money by not being able to make and sell Texas only suppressors, if not allowed.

And as described above, the plaintiff would have to show they were harmed by the defendant.

Again, the law says the Texas AG is the one to seek the declaratory judgement. Can you show how he would have standing?
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Again, the law says the Texas AG is the one to seek the declaratory judgement. Can you show how he would have standing?
View Quote

Following the previous line of logic for university standing, he could argue suppressor sales would boom in the state and Texas would be the beneficiary of sales tax revenue related to that boom? There is already case law regarding revenue as someone mentioned. I would assume lawmakers already have a 'plan of attack' since they wrote that section into law... But it's hard to bring myself to assume anything good about government.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
New law signed today.
Sorry if dupe.
View Quote
\

None and it has nothing to do with the new law signing.  The prices demanded by Texas suppressor MFG are outrageously expensive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

None and it has nothing to do with the new law signing.  The prices demanded by Texas suppressor MFG are outrageously expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New law signed today.
Sorry if dupe.

I have put off buying suppressors, or any NFA item, because I refuse to give money, and wait months or more to get my product. I guess I have trust issues.
I am told by people in the gun biness that the funds are safe. I am skeptical. Whatever. I will wait for now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have put off buying suppressors, or any NFA item, because I refuse to give money, and wait months or more to get my product. I guess I have trust issues.
I am told by people in the gun biness that the funds are safe. I am skeptical. Whatever. I will wait for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New law signed today.
Sorry if dupe.

That's the way it is, probably not changing anytime soon; gotta pay to play. Just buy from a reputable dealer, capital armory or silencer shop.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]

/thread

Don’t be “That” guy unless you have MILLIONS to spend on a court case you won’t win, and in the end will still be a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Guys in KS never went to jail and the state refused to defend them under the law they made... As of Sept 1 cans are decriminalized as far as TX is concerned. So just be smart about it, like all those pot sellers and smokers that didn't get raided by the feds. The feds do not have unlimited resources and rely heavily on state authorities to bring charges or sniff out law breakers. Don't make the feds job easy like the guys in KS (found by feds on social media).

Unless there is a convention of the states to kick the rabid fed overreach in the teeth, civil disobedience will continue to be key in taking our rights back from the machine. Here's to hoping they decriminalize SBRs and SBSs in TX next session... (doubtful, I know)
Remove:

• (10)  "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

from the penal code this time around.

ETA: the manufacturers should be pinned to the Texas forum in a Texas manufacturers post.
View Quote

I wish that would have been part of this bill.  Should have been.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wish that would have been part of this bill.  Should have been.
View Quote

Can be teed up for next session, especially if there's some foolish pistol ban brace rule that ATF comes up with, after years of saying they're OK to make and sell.

No reason for the state of Texas to have the same SBS and SBR laws as the Federal government if ATF changes what's considered those on a whim.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can be teed up for next session, especially if there's some foolish pistol ban brace rule that ATF comes up with, after years of saying they're OK to make and sell.

No reason for the state of Texas to have the same SBS and SBR laws as the Federal government if ATF changes what's considered those on a whim.
View Quote

I hope more people can now see (even the low IQ masses) just how stupid NFA laws are.

The BATFE makes them even more laughable every year with arbitrary decisions and contrary "rulings".
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hope more people can now see (even the low IQ masses) just how stupid NFA laws are.

The BATFE makes them even more laughable every year with arbitrary decisions and contrary "rulings".
View Quote

Also, the NFA was originally supposed to include handguns as well.  The one of the reasons to put SBR's into NFA status was to prevent a rifle from being shorten and used in the role of a handgun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Originally, pistols and revolvers were to be regulated as strictly as machine guns; towards that end, cutting down a rifle or shotgun to circumvent the handgun restrictions by making a concealable weapon was taxed as strictly as a machine gun.[7]

Conventional pistols and revolvers were ultimately excluded from the Act before passage, but other concealable weapons were not.[7]

So for all of ATF's panic huffing about braced pistols, the original idea behind putting SBR's into NFA status was the unconstitutional idea of putting handguns into that status as well.  

Regardless of the success of the Texas only suppressor idea, it's good for states to move to decriminalize NFA items on a state leve, and say to the Federal government they're out of the business of putting measuring tapes to barrels anymore.  

We can lobby for this in 23.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How many you want?

Folks seem to think you cannot make a Fed Legal silencer AND also stamp it "MADE IN TEXAS" so it also complies with Texas Law. You can unless I missed something.
View Quote

I didn't know you made them.  I'll buy one from you if we can agree on a price.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the goal of this effort? If it stands the legal mumbo-jumbo test, will we be able to buy a shiny new "Made in Texas" can without waiting for a fed stamp or getting sherrif dept sign-off?

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is the goal of this effort? If it stands the legal mumbo-jumbo test, will we be able to buy a shiny new "Made in Texas" can without waiting for a fed stamp or getting sherrif dept sign-off?

View Quote

Basically. Buy it like any other firearm accessory.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is the goal of this effort?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What is the goal of this effort?

To show constituents how much their legislator supports the Second Amendment.
Same legislators then disappear when its time to eliminate other restrictive state gun laws that aren't affected by the Supremacy Clause.

If it stands the legal mumbo-jumbo test, will we be able to buy a shiny new "Made in Texas" can without waiting for a fed stamp or getting sherrif dept sign-off?

The CLEO "signoff" disappeared five years ago this week.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the legal mumbo jumbo. The Hearing Protection Act will be passed any day now.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Hearing Protection Act will be passed any day now.

View Quote

As hard as this idea gets me, I can only assume you are being facetious...
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As hard as this idea gets me, I can only assume you are being facetious...
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top