Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2020 7:53:40 PM EDT
Thanks to all who contribute to the site. It's been a great source of wisdom and entertainment. I hope y'all are where you want to be at this time. Anyways, I joined to post this.

Family Background: My wife's great grandparents settled in Elk River and she ended up in Boise. We realized we were happiest outside the city/suburbs and are constantly purging possessions to fit in a 1/1, single wide or cabin. My background is in general contracting, mostly remodel work. I was a conductor, engineer and still have a Class A CDL from working construction. We also do web design, which operates anywhere.

Our Goal: Escape from Boise! and start life in rural Idaho. Our list of requirements is short. I will be your tenant/sharecropper, you will be my neighbor/landlord. Moving anywhere we're strangers is no good; we want someone who needs help with chores/projects/bills and will appreciate the extra company. Any place in Idaho so long as the population density is low. We're eager to try no-till gardening, small animal husbandry and soil building.

If you or someone you know might go for this, let's be neighbors.

Edited to read better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
This summary of Joel Salatin's book Fields of Farmers crystallizes our intentions:

"America’s average farmer is sixty years old. When young people can’t get in, old people can’t get out. Approaching a watershed moment, our culture desperately needs a generational transfer of millions of farm acres facing abandonment, development, or amalgamation into ever-larger holdings. Based on his decades of experience with interns and multigenerational partnerships at Polyface Farm, farmer and author Joel Salatin digs deep into the problems and solutions surrounding this land- and knowledge-transfer crisis. This book empowers aspiring young farmers, midlife farmers, and nonfarming landlords to build regenerative, profitable agricultural enterprises."
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t even......um welcome?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You can always go east...I'm just south of MH and it's not too bad here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t even......um welcome?  
View Quote

So, uh, you wanna be boog bros?

I got a freezer full of crab and elk...
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can always go east...I'm just south of MH and it's not too bad here.
View Quote

Anywhere around MH would be nice.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a farmhouse that I wanted to restore for years and just moved a guy a lot like you into it, well about a year ago. He's trading rent for restoration work as well as doing his own jobs and working for me as farm labor part time. About the most ambitious white kid I've met in years. Even taught him and his wife to drive truck and both of them were a real boon during harvest.

View Quote

That’s pretty cool. How old are they?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Late 20's.
View Quote

Good on them and good on you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top