Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2022 6:20:44 PM EDT
Alrighty,
So me and the fam are going on vacation in a couple of weeks to TC (Empire really).  It's probably our favorite place.  Anyway, are there any good distillery tours in that area?  I don't mean the various tasting rooms on Front st. and downtown.

Also, of the various distilleries which ones have the best product?  A couple of years ago I bought a bottle of the Cherry Vodka (yeah, I fell for the tourist marketing) that Grand Traverse distillery makes, and it was "meh" at best.  I'm all about buying local etc, but not if it's not a good product.

I like Gin, Bourbon, Vodka so which are the ones to tour?  Ethanology?  Grand Traverse?  Northern Latitudes?  TC Whiskey Co?  Iron Fish?  Mammoth Distilling?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Alrighty,
So me and the fam are going on vacation in a couple of weeks to TC (Empire really).  It's probably our favorite place.  Anyway, are there any good distillery tours in that area?  I don't mean the various tasting rooms on Front st. and downtown.

Also, of the various distilleries which ones have the best product?  A couple of years ago I bought a bottle of the Cherry Vodka (yeah, I fell for the tourist marketing) that Grand Traverse distillery makes, and it was "meh" at best.  I'm all about buying local etc, but not if it's not a good product.

I like Gin, Bourbon, Vodka so which are the ones to tour?  Ethanology?  Grand Traverse?  Northern Latitudes?  TC Whiskey Co?  Iron Fish?  Mammoth Distilling?
View Quote

A bit of a drive but Iron Fish Distellery has an awesome tout and property. Most things are farm to bottle all on the property. Decent food and lots of variety in booze.  If you go get a bottle of their maple syrup. Ypu won't regret it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Been a couple years but Jolly Pumpkin Cafe/restaurant is also a Brewery/Small Batch Distillery. Excellent bbq too.

https://www.traversecity.com/listings/jolly-pumpkin-restaurant-brewery-%26-distillery/134/
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well.....there's Traverse City Distillery.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean Traverse City Whiskey Co or Grand Traverse Distillery?  TC Whiskey Co, isn't doing tours.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're into Meads this place has some good stuff.  Just south of TC.

https://www.stambrose-mead-wine.com/qr-menu/
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Ethanology is totally worth the drive. If you're into beers swing by Shorts since you'll already be in that general area.

Grand Traverse Distillery is my preferred local whiskey. But I'm with you, the cherry focused products do lack a little bit of something.

I refuse to spend money on the TC Whiskey Co. line on principal - until recently (2020ish) they were putting their labels on product produced by a contract distiller, and when they first started marketing their whiskey had no presence in TC, they were based in Comstock Park IIRC. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way as a TC native.

Iron Fish makes good stuff, I really enjoyed their gin but I've never visited them in person.

Haven't had a chance to sample any of Mammoths products yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ethanology is totally worth the drive. If you're into beers swing by Shorts since you'll already be in that general area.

Grand Traverse Distillery is my preferred local whiskey. But I'm with you, the cherry focused products do lack a little bit of something.

I refuse to spend money on the TC Whiskey Co. line on principal - until recently (2020ish) they were putting their labels on product produced by a contract distiller, and when they first started marketing their whiskey had no presence in TC, they were based in Comstock Park IIRC. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way as a TC native.

Iron Fish makes good stuff, I really enjoyed their gin but I've never visited them in person.

View Quote

Excellent info, thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Take m22 south to this place. Never been, they just opened their doors this summer.

https://www.furnacestreetdistillery.com/

Personally, I’d skip any special trips to TC on your vacation but would visit ironfish, 5 shores brewery in Beulah, st Ambrose, or be brave and try this new distillery in Elberta…..and tell us your review
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Don’t know if I’ll get a chance to go to distilleries while I’m up here.  I did pick up a bottle of Ironfish bourbon aged in maple syrup barrels at Anderson’s in Glen Arbor a few minutes ago
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ll second the Shorts recommendation.  Order the ultimate flight. It’s 40 bucks and has a sample of every beer they have on tap
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I gotta check out the Iron Fish distillery. I tried a bottle of their whiskey, it was very good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top