Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 6:50:03 PM EDT
This SBR sticky in this forum is great, I’m almost sure the answer is no but I’m going to ask due to my sheer desire to own one.

Is there any licensing in this state that makes it legal for a person to own and use suppressors?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This SBR sticky in this forum is great, I’m almost sure the answer is no but I’m going to ask due to my sheer desire to own one.

Is there any licensing in this state that makes it legal for a person to own and use suppressors?
View Quote
No.   One bill has been filed this year but I expect it to die in assignments.  With the latest ILGA makeup of excess Dems...thanks voters!...IMO we lost any progress that was made a few years ago regarding suppressors.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.   One bill has been filed this year but I expect it to die in assignments.  With the latest ILGA makeup of excess Dems...thanks voters!...IMO we lost any progress that was made a few years ago regarding suppressors.
View Quote
I'm knowingly about to do the arf equivalent of eating from the forbidden tree ... because I'm going to contradict @interested ...

IANAL - *BUT* - I got really serious about this and found one possible legal way. Become a manufacturer.

If you get an FFL (07 ?) that allows you to legally manufacture a suppressor via Federal law, you can have one in IL. The catch is if you close your FFL then you must transfer to another FFL in IL. So before you seriously investigate this, be prepared to spend coin every year until you don't want to own one anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm knowingly about to do the arf equivalent of eating from the forbidden tree ... because I'm going to contradict @interested ...

IANAL - *BUT* - I got really serious about this and found one possible legal way. Become a manufacturer.

If you get an FFL (07 ?) that allows you to legally manufacture a suppressor via Federal law, you can have one in IL. The catch is if you close your FFL then you must transfer to another FFL in IL. So before you seriously investigate this, be prepared to spend coin every year until you don't want to own one anymore.
View Quote
You are quite right.  Didnt think about that.  I think I remember a grand total of two, maybe 3 people posting here that have 07s, although I expect that are several more.

BTW, the 2020 "silencer" bill so far is http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=5078&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=125345&SessionID=108&GA=101

2019 "silencer" bills also awaiting assignment
http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1626&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=116167&SessionID=108&GA=101

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3912&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=122073&SessionID=108&GA=101
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless the coronavirus wipes out Crook County we will never have suppressors or restoration of our 2A rights
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless the coronavirus wipes out Crook County we will never have suppressors or restoration of our 2A rights
View Quote
Plenty of folks said similar things about concealed carry.  I think we're a ways from having these but suppressors are becoming more mainstream across the country.  I believe we're now surrounded by states that allow them.  That may have a positive effect on us . . . I hope.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The difference between suppressors and concealed carry isn't based on states around us...it is based on self protection which is covered in the constitution and an gun accessory (as seen by both some pro and anti-gun folks.)  It was a court case that put a clock on CC.  I don't see the courts ruling we have a constitutional right to posses suppressors.  When we were pushing for suppressors in Springfield, folks on our side couldn't appreciate the reasons.  They couldn't figure why you wouldn't want someone shooting to make a noise so you wouldn't shoot toward them (while hunting).  Why don't you just put plugs in your ears.  In Chicago, pro-gun folks said they would be used to kill police officers.

We know how much better it would be for the shooting public and protections for hearing but, if you aren't a serious gun person, it is hard to get the concept.  
Their understanding of suppressors has been defined over and over from a lifetime of seeing them used in the movies and completely removing all sound from a gun shot.
As long as democrats rule this state, we won't get suppressors   If I could, I would have one on my AR Tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
If you look at the maps of states that allow suppressors, the number is in the low 40s I believe so IL is on its way to being last again.  Without a court order or a massive voter turnout to replace the Dem majority in the ILGA and Gov it will probably be awhile.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Instead of focusing on the reasons why we don't have them and just throwing our arms in the air, why don't we focus on educating?  Not many folks realize that suppressors are nothing like shown by hollywierd.  Those for centerfire rifles and most handguns still need require some hearing protection to be worn.  I'm constantly surprised how many of our own shooters don't know this.  Of course, you then have the guys with the attitude of "why'd ya want un of those fer?" floating around.  I've stepped up my game of talking about these whenever the subject comes up.  These conversations are with legislators, hunters, and folks that are 2A but ignorant on the subject.  I'd prefer we do that then constantly dwell on the negative.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
That was how we made progress a few years ago when Todd was working for the NRA as an IL lobbyist.  They held events for legislators and the press demonstrating what they thought they knew was incorrect.  Sadly, I think all of that progress has been lost.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Just like most all of our state problems, it is Cook and Northern counties that are the problem.
It is hard to educate the masses when it is illegal for nearly everyone to own one to demonstrate.
There was a lot of misinformation put out about the progress that was made a couple of years.  That progress was simply Madigan playing games.  He had the pro-gun folks (like us and others) chasing our tails as bills were allowed to move in one house to never be called in the other.  It was all planned.  There wasn't any support from either side in the northern part of the state.  It is sad that there is such goofy regulation over such a benign tool!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]

There was a lot of misinformation put out about the progress that was made a couple of years. That progress was simply Madigan playing games. He had the pro-gun folks (like us and others) chasing our tails as bills were allowed to move in one house to never be called in the other. It was all planned.
View Quote
Well, that is disappointing to hear.

And with the Northern part of stare and apathy from gun owners and others not voting, getting a change in ILGA majority will be quite challenging.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Illinois makes tons of money on gambling and drugs. Might as well add in some suppressors.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Illinois makes tons of money on gambling and drugs. Might as well add in some suppressors.
View Quote
Not that I'm looking to give the state any more money but perhaps this is an avenue we can use to sell these as well?  Do we have any Class 3 dealers willing to step up and help educate?  Surely our reps (such that they are) realize that these are NFA requiring $200/per and approval by ATF?

It appears that the Feds are circling Madigan now.  Perhaps his reign is beginning to fracture.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate being a Debby Downer but, it just isn't going to happen here with democrats in control.  We would stand a better chance Federally if it wasn't for the whack jobs shooting up schools and giving the national democrats things to squeal about.  And then, there is the Bloomberg $$$ funding anti-gun groups everywhere including IL.
Crap!  A bump stock is used by a crazy one time and they are banned by everyone...both democrat and republican!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
it just isn't going to happen here with democrats in control
View Quote
With 2M+ FOID Holders and 320K+ CCL holders, we need to get those supportive of firearms to be more involved and VOTE.   And get others to VOTE.  And hold some of these GOP candidates accountable.  Granted, its difficult with the Chicago urban Dem population but they do not all vote.  Downstate Dems who are different than Northern Dems but still vote Dem does not help.  Although looking at election result maps IL overall looks to be a red state.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hate being a Debby Downer but, it just isn't going to happen here with democrats in control.  We would stand a better chance Federally if it wasn't for the whack jobs shooting up schools and giving the national democrats things to squeal about.  And then, there is the Bloomberg $$$ funding anti-gun groups everywhere including IL.
Crap!  A bump stock is used by a crazy one time and they are banned by everyone...both democrat and republican!
View Quote
This is one reason why 2A is in trouble in this state - there are too many of us willing to accept the negative defeatist attitude and play defense instead of offense.  The statement in bold may be right but that doesn't mean we simply have to accept it.  Had the 2A community risen as a whole and said "FU" to redefining a piece of plastic as NFA then the bumpstock thing might have turned out differently.  As it turned out, plenty of gun owners were too willing to call it "a useless toy" and let it fall.  That was pretty short-sighted on their part but that's human nature, I guess.

Suppressors are legal at the Federal level so that hurdle has already been crossed.

It's looking more and more likely that we'll be moving out of state in 5 years so at least I have that to look forward to.  It'll be nice to not only leave the democrap corruption but also a 2A group that generally only worries about their shotguns.  I'm not suggesting that Swan or IB are like those guys but I run into plenty of them in this state.  It's pretty frustrating.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a way.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#18]
If a guy had unlimited budget resources, is there a known path to challenge state level nonsense?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is one reason why 2A is in trouble in this state - there are too many of us willing to accept the negative defeatist attitude and play defense instead of offense.  The statement in bold may be right but that doesn't mean we simply have to accept it.  Had the 2A community risen as a whole and said "FU" to redefining a piece of plastic as NFA then the bumpstock thing might have turned out differently.  As it turned out, plenty of gun owners were too willing to call it "a useless toy" and let it fall.  That was pretty short-sighted on their part but that's human nature, I guess.

Suppressors are legal at the Federal level so that hurdle has already been crossed.

It's looking more and more likely that we'll be moving out of state in 5 years so at least I have that to look forward to.  It'll be nice to not only leave the democrap corruption but also a 2A group that generally only worries about their shotguns.  I'm not suggesting that Swan or IB are like those guys but I run into plenty of them in this state.  It's pretty frustrating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If a guy had unlimited budget resources, is there a known path to challenge state level nonsense?
View Quote
There is a way around your current road blocks at least.

How do you feel about outdoors clubs?

What about ones that issue suppressors and MGs to their members?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me clarify  ...

In IL a guy can become a manufacturer and own a suppressor until he gives up his manufacturer license. But this only helps him.

My inquiry above was (supposed to include) quoting a prior post about legislatively challenging it in IL ... so my question is better asked as: instead of getting arrested and sitting in prison to make the point that it's a state-level 2A infringement, anyone know how other state's laws have been reversed?

If your answer is a club that issues suppressors to its members ... tell me more
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Let me clarify  ...

In IL a guy can become a manufacturer and own a suppressor until he gives up his manufacturer license. But this only helps him.

My inquiry above was (supposed to include) quoting a prior post about legislatively challenging it in IL ... so my question is better asked as: instead of getting arrested and sitting in prison to make the point that it's a state-level 2A infringement, anyone know how other state's laws have been reversed?

If your answer is a club that issues suppressors to its members ... tell me more
View Quote
Soon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me clarify  ...

Soon.
I don't know the ARF equivalent to 'blue balls' but I need to find a name for this ...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Soon.
View Quote

Still waiting....

In the meantime I’m interested in seeing how much money yearly ownership would be with an ffl 07.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Still waiting....

In the meantime I’m interested in seeing how much money yearly ownership would be with an ffl 07.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soon.

Still waiting....

The number of projects on hold due to current events is huge...sorry.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Still waiting....

In the meantime I'm interested in seeing how much money yearly ownership would be with an ffl 07.

View Quote
Were I you, I'd reach out to Sven at Maticore Arms. He bootstrapped himself into a successful firearms related business here in this state. He should be able to give you current information as to fees and licensing.

Apart from the FFL, and the 07, there are additional ITAR annual fees. And now Illinois has lots of new requirements for FFLs in regards to security and fees.

@dawg180  I think...
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Guys we are never going to get suppressors in Illinois.

Do you think WGN is ever going to run the story “Silencers legal in Chicago after XX shootings this weekend”?

Lowest. Common. Denominator.
150 year old political machine shaping the narrative to fit the bread and circus /FSA Crowd.    

That and all the rich white Karens in the suburbs who fear Chicago because of guns and not the savages behind them.

The fact we got “SBRs” is a shock. Still nothing better than a 16” AUG with the 26” minimum.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Were I you, I'd reach out to Sven at Maticore Arms. He bootstrapped himself into a successful firearms related business here in this state. He should be able to give you current information as to fees and licensing.

Apart from the FFL, and the 07, there are additional ITAR annual fees. And now Illinois has lots of new requirements for FFLs in regards to security and fees.

@dawg180  I think...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still waiting....

In the meantime I'm interested in seeing how much money yearly ownership would be with an ffl 07.

@dawg180  I think...

Those who hold a license strictly for research, development, and educational purposes are exempt from the ITAR requirement.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:20:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Question....

If there is a company in IL that has the proper FFL to sell/make suppressors...can someone be an employee of said company and be in possession of a suppressor?  

Asking for a friend....
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By smitty1283:
Question....

If there is a company in IL that has the proper FFL to sell/make suppressors...can someone be an employee of said company and be in possession of a suppressor?  

Asking for a friend....
View Quote

Federally an employee listed as a responsible person may possess an NFA item owned by an FFL.

I don't know about IL state law.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Soon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sendit14:

Let me clarify  ...

In IL a guy can become a manufacturer and own a suppressor until he gives up his manufacturer license. But this only helps him.

My inquiry above was (supposed to include) quoting a prior post about legislatively challenging it in IL ... so my question is better asked as: instead of getting arrested and sitting in prison to make the point that it's a state-level 2A infringement, anyone know how other state's laws have been reversed?

If your answer is a club that issues suppressors to its members ... tell me more

Soon.

@Ben ... you and I have different definitions of the word 'soon'

Any update?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#32]

@Ben ... you and I have different definitions of the word 'soon' 

Any update?
View Quote

Unfortunately a lot of stuff went on hold the past few months, and the people needed to make some things happen have been diverted to other projects-

Will let you know.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Unfortunately a lot of stuff went on hold the past few months, and the people needed to make some things happen have been diverted to other projects-

Will let you know.
View All Quotes

@Ben ... you and I have different definitions of the word 'soon' 

Any update?

Unfortunately a lot of stuff went on hold the past few months, and the people needed to make some things happen have been diverted to other projects-

Will let you know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Federally an employee listed as a responsible person may possess an NFA item owned by an FFL. 

I don't know about IL state law.
View All Quotes
Question....

If there is a company in IL that has the proper FFL to sell/make suppressors...can someone be an employee of said company and be in possession of a suppressor?  

Asking for a friend....

Federally an employee listed as a responsible person may possess an NFA item owned by an FFL. 

Does anyone know about IL?

Theoretically a company could be started that sells/builds suppressors....have multiple employees for research and development that all have suppressors for testing and we all happen to be in IL?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Does anyone know about IL? 

Theoretically a company could be started that sells/builds suppressors....have multiple employees for research and development that all have suppressors for testing and we all happen to be in IL? 
View All Quotes
Question....

Asking for a friend....

Does anyone know about IL? 

Theoretically a company could be started that sells/builds suppressors....have multiple employees for research and development that all have suppressors for testing and we all happen to be in IL? 

Need REALLY good E&O insurance for this business model ...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

Theoretically yes, but there are some real world hurdles to this.

ATF expects if you have an FFL 02 that you have an actual business license and manufacturing space.  Could you do it in a garage, assuming your local city is OK with it?  Technically yes, but most zoning will not allow manufacturing in a residential area.  Also, the owner of that garage has now put himself in the position of being responsible for everything that goes on in his garage, and ATF is going to be allowed to come onto his property to inspect.  And if you have 15 "employees" for your garage FFL 02/SOT that has no bathroom, etc. they are going to shut you down ebcuase it is obvious you are simply using the license as a workaround and not a functioning business.

Also, the ATF looks very dimly on a business having everyone being a "person of responsibility" on the FFL.  And I GUARANTEE one of the guys on that is going to be irresponsible and get the whole thing shut down.  I know of a business in the local area that tried this very thing and a couple of suppressors were not accounted for and ATF pretty much went after them with no lube.

You could limit it to maybe 1-3 persons of responsibility on the license and employees can be issued letters stating they have permission.  But now those those guys are responsible for everything the other people do.  

In a legal sense, you can do what is being suggested, but in reality, either the local zoning board, ATF, or the one guy you know who becomes an irresponsible f**kup the moment you get the license is going to turn it into a world of pain.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be honest about how this likely will pan out if a couple of guys want to go this route.  Having an FFL and SOT is NO JOKE and even I held off for the first several years on getting one until it was absolutely necessary.  The government has no sense of humor of "oops, we don't know what happened to that"  when it comes to FFL and NFA items.  

Caveat Emptor guys.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Follow-up question about practical application of theory - if IL residents cannot own suppressors, why are there any 07 FFLs in IL? Practically speaking, there is no business model with revenue to support continued operations, right?

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Follow-up question about practical application of theory - if IL residents cannot own suppressors, why are there any 07 FFLs in IL? Practically speaking, there is no business model with revenue to support continued operations, right?

View Quote

They can sell to law enforcement and also so business with out of state customers.

Sven....I met you at a bullpup shoot a few years back...can I be a person of interest at your respected business?  I’m joking.   Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Much respect for you and Manticore!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know how I start a suppressor business?  I’m kidding!! If I wasn’t so rooted here and if I didn’t absolutely love my job I’d leave.

But..when you land a job and grew up here and love the community you live in it’s hard to leave.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#40]

They can sell to law enforcement and also so business with out of state customers.

Sven....I met you at a bullpup shoot a few years back...can I be a person of interest at your respected business?  I’m joking.   Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Much respect for you and Manticore!!!!!
View Quote

Thanks ... but I was hoping for an answer from a guy with a, ya know, actual business doing it

@Manticore_Arms - Follow-up question about practical application of theory - if IL residents cannot own suppressors, why are there any 07 FFLs in IL? Practically speaking, there is no business model with revenue to support continued operations, right?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I would assume you would have the right to protect your hearing under the constitution.  So there may be help in the future.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#43]
What about sworn peace officers....legal to own a personal suppressor in IL? Not limited to actual police officers, but also think arson investigators. Just trying to find another angle on this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:
What about sworn peace officers....legal to own a personal suppressor in IL? Not limited to actual police officers, but also think arson investigators. Just trying to find another angle on this.
View Quote

Department would have to purchase.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone know how I start a suppressor business?  I’m kidding!! If I wasn’t so rooted here and if I didn’t absolutely love my job I’d leave.

But..when you land a job and grew up here and love the community you live in it’s hard to leave.

View Quote

The ONLY thing keeping us here is our kids (15,14,9)  The earliest we could leave w/out causing a major disruption in their lives is 9 years.  By then the youngest will graduate HS
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Tagged like a motherfucker.

@Ben is there anything we can do to help? Accepting volunteers?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tagged like a motherfucker.

@Ben is there anything we can do to help? Accepting volunteers?
View Quote

The shitshow that has been 2020 has delayed a lot.

A corporation that has an FFL seems to be the simple solution.

Could also have MGs then...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top