Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2019 12:03:50 PM EDT
I've been busy too busy to notice, but apparently it reopened in late September.

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/programs-resources/recreational-opportunities/maine-shooting-ranges.html

Has anyone checked it out since they finished construction?
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
In for info. I plan to check it out soon
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Shows how out of touch I am. I didn't even know the State owned its own shooting ranges. Huh.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]
It was an unofficial place to shoot for many years and really wasn’t safe in my opinion.
People dumped trash there, ATVs would be ramming around in the same pits people liked to shoot in.
I think the State took notice and took over.
I’ve heard it’s cleaned up, and pretty nice there now. I think the Game Wardens practice there. Possibly State Police too, but I haven’t been there or to Capitol City range in several years.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Just checked it out. Very nice clean new facility. Lots of overhead cover and available lanes.
Target stands available to be placed at different distances.
One side rifle and one side pistol. A dude was shooting a bolt gun on the pistol side so I assume rifle actually means greater than 25yds.
A couple of things I'm not used to:
Concrete everywhere. Enhances the report quite a bit.
RSO just standing 4ft behind watching me shoot. Never shot at a range with RSOs before so maybe I'd get used to it.
Can't drink a coffee while I shoot
Flashing red lights over the lanes=range is cold
Lights off =range is hot. Seems backwards.
Every trip to my targets means I wait for the RSO to peek at my gun.
RSOs seemed very nice overall. Had to sign in and out.
The price is right (free) and they had pretty good hours listed on the state site linked in the OP.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just checked it out. Very nice clean new facility. Lots of overhead cover and available lanes.
Target stands available to be placed at different distances.
One side rifle and one side pistol. A dude was shooting a bolt gun on the pistol side so I assume rifle actually means greater than 25yds.
A couple of things I'm not used to:
Concrete everywhere. Enhances the report quite a bit.
RSO just standing 4ft behind watching me shoot. Never shot at a range with RSOs before so maybe I'd get used to it.
Can't drink a coffee while I shoot
Flashing red lights over the lanes=range is cold
Lights off =range is hot. Seems backwards.
Every trip to my targets means I wait for the RSO to peek at my gun.
RSOs seemed very nice overall. Had to sign in and out.
The price is right (free) and they had pretty good hours listed on the state site linked in the OP.
View Quote
Sounds about like what I would expect. Personally I do not like shooting at places like this where it is very regimented.

I get the need for it, people do a lot of really stupid stuff, but it does suck to go to a range and basically have to just sit at a bench shooting holes in a stationary paper target. This type of shooting is fine for sighting in but I much prefer something more casual where you can do different positions. Shoot while moving.. etc. Shoot at several targets...shoot from behind objects and so on. Real world stuff.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Me too. Glad to have lots of options around though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I've gotta find some more places/ranges near me.
Getting sick of indoor stuff.
All the outdoor "spots" have been shut down around here. Mainly because of people leaving a mess. Too bad. I brought out everything I brought in with me. I evened piled up my brass and set it off to the side. There were a couple guys that would come around once a day or 2 and grab it all. I would have taken it with me if not for the guys coming to grab it daily.
(I'm talking about unofficial places. Sand pits, gravel pits etc.... I really miss that place in steep falls)
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish some of you folks were closer to "down east"
I can get 100 yards off the back deck AND....
I have a 30 AC lot in another town that is bordered by a elec distribution line..
I can get ~400 out there but it's snowed in in the winter.
If'n you happen to come this way hit me up & I'll show ya where it is.
Feel free to pitch a tent..
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
@names
Thanks for taking the time to check it out and share the review.
I’d be happy to meet you over there some time and check the place out too.  I have a few rifle and scopes that need to be sighted in.
Always good to meet fellow arfcommers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish some of you folks were closer to "down east"
I can get 100 yards off the back deck AND....
I have a 30 AC lot in another town that is bordered by a elec distribution line..
I can get ~400 out there but it's snowed in in the winter.
If'n you happen to come this way hit me up & I'll show ya where it is.
Feel free to pitch a tent..
View Quote
I wish I was closer to DownEast too!
But mainly for fishing reasons.......
They do a lot better up there than we do down here.

Used to be the opposite 20 or more years ago.
Oh well, every dog has it's day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top