Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2022 12:20:44 PM EDT
We’ve never been to Idaho, want to do some exploring, going to take the family on a road trip spend a couple nights in Utah to break the drive up, then head up to Idaho for another 3-4 nights.

Really open as to where we stay, any city’s, towns or areas we should stay at and check out?  

Any must see/ locations or activity’s?

Kids are 2, 5 and 9 so nothing too Physically demanding but we’re open.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep in mind a lot of the great things to see in ID require a lot of driving to get to.  

However, my kids around that age loved Craters of the Moon NM.  Some neat volcano stuff and easy to reach.  

https://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm

Depending on time of year it is not unusual for things to still be snow covered in June.  Sometimes July.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind a lot of the great things to see in ID require a lot of driving to get to.  

However, my kids around that age loved Craters of the Moon NM.  Some neat volcano stuff and easy to reach.  

https://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm

Depending on time of year it is not unusual for things to still be snow covered in June.  Sometimes July.
View Quote

It's a 12 hour drive to get from Craters to my neck of the woods
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Coming from Utah, craters of the moon is a good choice, but that's about it off the top of my head. Sun Valley isn't *that* far away from Craters of the Moon. What kind of destinations are you checking out in Utah and when do you plan to come?
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Coming from Utah, craters of the moon is a good choice, but that's about it off the top of my head. Sun Valley isn't *that* far away from Craters of the Moon. What kind of destinations are you checking out in Utah and when do you plan to come?
View Quote

Maybe Over to Idaho Falls then to West Yellowstone?

To the OP be warned! Plan around your hotel or camping destinations and plan on the actual driving taking way longer than what the map shows you! Hotels can fully book by noon… We’ve spent many of extended driving hours just trying to get to the next available place to stop and sleep on road trips up here. Many times only to find a spot at a rest area - kids do NOT love it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Great tip, thank you.  Please keep any other suggestions coming.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the drive between Sun Valley and Stanley. The Sawtooth mountains are a sight to behold.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about other areas in Idaho, but if you're thinking Idaho Falls and Yellowstone/Grand Teton parks, you better get your reservations now.  Summertime fills up quick.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do the drive between Sun Valley and Stanley. The Sawtooth mountains are a sight to behold.
View Quote

DillyDilly gets it! The big loop is an absolutely beautiful drive in the summer! Stop at Redfish lake lodge for a margarita slushy, you WILL NOT be disappointed!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last time I drove that it was fog and rain the whole way.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Tons to see in southern Idaho, weather pending, hit up Blue Heart Springs!  Also, the Hagerman horse and fossil beds.  There is a bunch of cool things, especially waterfalls in the southern part of the state.  if you're coming towards Boise, go to the sand dunes at Bruneau.  Check this site out.

https://visitsouthidaho.com/blue-heart-springs-the-hidden-oasis/
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
There are a few ice caves in the southern bit of the state.  I wouldn't necessarily go put of your way to see them but if you happen to drive by they are a neat stop to stretch your legs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like we found a place to rent in Fish Haven, anything within 4 hours of that area worth checking out?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Coming out of Utah, you have City of Rocks, the Bear Lake area with Minnetonka Cave.  You have Shoshone Falls which is pretty much the Niagra Falls of the West.  As others have said Craters of the Moon is something else.  Theres also the Ice Caves near Shoshone.  With enough digging theres plenty of things to do and see if you want.  

For more info go to visitidaho.org and onlyinyourstate.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top