Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2020 7:39:29 PM EDT
Merry Christmas!  I hope you all and your families are having a good holiday.

Speaking of holiday.  While cleaning up after Christmas dinner, my wife dropped a knife, and the blade broke off at the tang.  It was my parents  silver set, and my wife is really upset she accidentally broke it.

It is constructed out of stainless, with a round pin tang that gets cemented into a silver handle.  I was able to dig out the pin and cement.  Now I need someone who can weld the pin back on.  The blade material is way too tough to drill and tap.

Anyone know of a good welder/knife maker/jeweler who can re-attach the pin?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It might be cheaper to replace it than repair it. Try replacements.com. They specialize in discontinued silver and China tableware. Another option is eBay. My mother purchased 6 place settings of silverware before she was married. That was 60 years ago. 6-8 years ago I doubled it to 12 place settings plus plenty of serving pieces, all off of eBay. For 2 years that's all she received for gifts. Birthday, anniversary, Christmas, she was thrilled. My mother loves to set a proper table for the holidays. And I did it for just over melt value.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can't drill it it means it has carbon in it and has been hardened in it. You would have to anneal it then heat treat it again after repair
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Silver solder?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  Turns out EBay had quite a few listing for the same pattern silver.  Amazing that a pattern from the early 1950’s is so common!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top