Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2020 12:38:34 PM EDT
I have been working form home the last two weeks and am getting pretty restless, so I am looking for places to go this weekend. I don't mind driving a ways or to other states even so I am looking for suggestions on places to go and things to see, maybe somewhere off the beaten path or different?

I have already covered a lot of AZ and seen a lot of things. Places I have already been are:

Grand Canyon
Oatman
Tombstone
Bisbee
Tucson - zoo and mission
Sedona
Hoover Dam
Petrified Forest
Strawberry / Pine
Mormon Lake / Happy Jack
Jerome
Prescott
Phoenix - Aquarium / Museums Shopping
Monument Valley
Sequoia NP

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Head out east on the 60. Take a few hours, or the day, and walk through Boyce Thompson arboretum. When you get to Globe take the 70 south and follow the Gila River for a while. Detour to Morenci and take the mine tour or just look in the pit. If it wasn’t winter I’d say take the old 666 hwy, now called 191, up to Hannagan Meadows then loop back to Phx on the 260, but it’s cold up there and I don’t like cold.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Grand Canyon covered with snow, at night with a full moon. Just missed the full moon, but something to keep in mind for the future.
North rim of the Grand Canyon.
Snowbowl
Lake Powell
Lake Powell Antelope Canyon
San Francisco Peaks Loop (might not be fun in the snow) https://www.arizonahighways.com/explore/scenic-drives/san-francisco-peaks-loop
Mt. Graham and Riggs Lake - these might be closed for the winter.
KOFA National Wildlife Refuge and the palm trees
Verde River hot springs
Bearizona Wildlife Park
Out of Africa Wildlife Park
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
Pima Air & Space Museum
Titan Missile Museum
Chiricahua National Monument
Coronado National Memorial
Hike to Miller Peak
Hike to Carr Peak
Dragoon Mountains - Council Rocks, China Camp and China Peak, Soren Pass, Cochise Stronghold
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought of a few more:

Lava Tubes near Flagstaff
The ice caves near Flagstaff.  These may not still be open and they are dangerous as hell.
Sunset Crater
Colossal Cave
Kartchner Caverns State Park - make reservations

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I think we are going to try to hit the Pima Air Museum, I didn't know there was a Blackbird was there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think we are going to try to hit the Pima Air Museum, I didn't know there was a Blackbird was there.
View Quote

The ladder tour at Colossal cave is a lot of fun, and it's a 20 minute drive from the Air and Space museum. Just make sure you make reservations.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The Air & Space Museum was incredible and the wife and I both really liked it. It was $16 a person to get in, we had plenty of distance and room to ourselves and we spent about 4 hours there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The Convair B-36 Peacemaker on site is equally impressive.  

No better day than this one:

That car I built for the wife.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Might be a drive or justify a hotel in Wilcox, Douglas, or Bisbee depending on where you're coming from

the Chiricahuas are a great place and a regular destination for us

Fort Bowie has a 1.5 mile walk/hike in that's well worth it and the National Monument itself is tremendously underrated and under traveled

I took a couple pictures last weekend, others are from previous trips

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This gives an overview, the building to the lower left is the ranger station.  Zooming in you'll get a good idea of the "new" fort.  The old fort is off to the right.
Attachment Attached File

MoH recipient.  Geronimo's son is buried about 20' away.
Attachment Attached File

This doesn't even begin to do it justice, it's surreal
Attachment Attached File

just grabbed this screen shot from a short video, the hoodoos are awesome
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The Titan Missile Museum outside of Tucson is pretty cool.

https://titanmissilemuseum.org/museum/directions-and-hours/

Also Montezuma Castle is a fun visit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top