Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2021 6:02:33 PM EDT
I sent the e-mail below to the House and Senate Judiciary Committee members, and also the House and Senate Leadership Teams.  In addition, sent a copy to Lt. Gov McKee, our next Governor.  Names and addresses available on http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Pages/Default.aspx

Have also written my RI State Rep. and Senator.

If you are a Constituent of any of these people, make CERTAIN to mention it right up front.  Your vote/opinion means much more to them than the vote/opinion of anyone else.

The reason for doing so quickly is to reach them before they make up their minds.  Easier to persuade someone than change their mind.

The Leadership Teams are the key people, as they will tell Committee Chair people what to do with a Bill.   ALL of the above people need to hear from you, and your like-minded friends and relatives.

This is a GENERIC Letter, so read it, and change it appropriately.  Be polite, but pointed.  Note that a "Carrot-And-Stick" approach was used; Give them reasons to vote Against the Bills, and give them something reasonable to vote For.

Month, Day, Year

Dear (Title and name of recipient):

I am writing you concerning the recent spate of Firearms legislation recently proposed, and sent to Committee.

According to Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, RI is already among the States with the most stringent firearms laws.

None of the proposed Bills specifically address the Number One cause of firearms injury, that being the illegal use of stolen Handguns.

The Federal Bureau of Justice Statistics states that 86% of firearms related crime involves Handguns, and that 90% of such Handguns are not obtained at normal retail outlets; in other words, most of them are stolen.  Also, Handguns are 19 times more likely to be used in homicides than any other type of firearm.

What's worse, some of the bills, if enacted as written, will make Instant Felons out of many of your Constituents.  The US has seen an upsurge in firearms ownership in the last few years, and some of your Constituents are new firearms owners.  I doubt they will appreciate being made Instant Felons if some of these Bills are enacted, and they will remember it come next election.

The entire US had a National "Assault Weapons Ban" from 1994 to 2004.  The US Dep't of Justice reported in 2004 that the Ban caused no decrease in gun crime, or gun deaths.

If you wish to be truly effective in reducing gun violence in RI, may I suggest not wasting time on the proposed Bills, and "go where the numbers are: "Illegal Handguns".

Submitted with respect:

Name, address, e-mail, and phone number.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!

Gonna change a few things and use it next time I email...
View Quote
I suggest the sooner the various Committee Members and Leadership teams get your e-mail, the better.  That way, they have time to ponder it, hopefully before they have made up their minds completely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top