Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2021 10:54:42 PM EDT
I've looked at moving to Idaho for a while, off and on. Today I looked at craigslist... Holy shit! Your real estate prices are crazy! I thought I was looking at SoCal. 2 bedroom/850~sqft for $850,000. It didn't seem that high a year or 2 ago. I'd like to live withing an hour or so of boise. Enjoy being able to go to a large city now and then, but don't need to work. Would like to be close to hospital. Where would you suggest to buy acreage that meets criteria or close to it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It's gotten crazy around here in the last few years.  Every house that comes up in my area is gone that day - got a flyer from a realtor the house down the street went for 80K over asking, and they were asking a lot already.  IN A DAY.  it's nuts

If I wanted to be around Boise, but kind of away, I'd look at Robie Creek, it's east of Boise.  Unfortunately it's getting expensive up there too, but you can still get 10-20 acres.  Other than that, maybe towards Mt Home, or Horseshoe Bend.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've looked at moving to Idaho for a while, off and on. Today I looked at craigslist... Holy shit! Your real estate prices are crazy! I thought I was looking at SoCal. 2 bedroom/850~sqft for $850,000. It didn't seem that high a year or 2 ago. I'd like to live withing an hour or so of boise. Enjoy being able to go to a large city now and then, but don't need to work. Would like to be close to hospital. Where would you suggest to buy acreage that meets criteria or close to it?
View Quote

You should read all the coming to Idaho threads for the past 2 years.

It's a wealth of information.

Use google for the forum thread search.

In a nutshell.....find the hospitals you will likely use, and create a search radius around them.

And don't use CL for serious real estate research......get a realtor that was born/raised in the area, and have them send you MLS reports.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Almost serious around here. I’m in North Idaho-Sandpointish area. 2 homes. $525k is the lesser of the two.

We had a “house” Re: 1970’s double wide with a porch, well, electric, 5 acres, and some out buildings that need torn down in my neighborhood go on the market for 1 day at $165k cash offers only. Don’t know what it sold for but there are no more tracks in the snow to the property.

So, how much money do you have?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like living in Caldwell.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hehe. That's cute.

As everyone's said: land is scarce, property goes fast, bring cash.

I know someone who just scored a sweet deal - less than a third of an acre, single wide already on-site, $700k

eta: it wasn't that collapsing shack above, I swear.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You're probably 10 years too late, when we initially began our search you regularly found 10 + acres with a 3000 sq ft +/- home for $300k now that money will buy a 1500 sq ft home in the city on a small lot.

We bought our current home 2 years ago and it has increased in value by $250k - $300K.

Once the home loan payment covid moratorium expires I imagine there will be a flood of foreclosures hit the market which should drive prices down since inventory will go up. On the other hand interest rates are on the rise and I don't expect the economy to improve under the current administration.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Very glad I bought 2 years ago.  No inventory plus insane demand = crazy prices.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Mountain Home hasn’t gone completely crazy yet. It’s about 45 minutes east of Boise.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I forgot to add; besides being ridiculously expensive up here in North Idaho the Power frequently goes out when the wind blows, when it snows, when it rains and when it’s too dry. The other 17 days of the year it’s fine. Our hospitals up here are pretty ghetto and I’ve seen better medical services in Haiti. Our roads are either dirt or so poorly designed that you are likely to end up in a ditch, pond, river, or lake as you slide off the mountain on your way to the Piggly Wiggly. 4X4 high clearance vehicles with a winch are recommended and in a couple months you can wash the 400 extra pounds of mud off without your doors and windows freezing shut. The bears are waking up but I haven’t heard a wolf all year so we have that going for us. Oh, and great coffee.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Went and looked at this place today. Private seller. No well, no electric. Creek on property. 6 acres.....stupid amounts of $$$

Nice kitchen/dining room though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife and I went out to North Idaho 3 years ago and fell in love with the place. We drove all over and decided we might want to retire there - until we started looking at real estate prices - holy crap!

We have a nice 40 acre farm in Kentucky, but if we sold it I think we could only afford 5 acres or less with a turd house in North Idaho.

We will visit every few years and spend money there but no way could we move there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The Salmon area is great if you don't need to work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Most regular working people are not going to be able to move here and keep up with the cost of living. Even rent is high and leasing companies are demanding yearly increase to current tenants -  pay more or move out - there’s someone else in line that will pay more if you can’t... By any measure this is the worst housing bubble, ever. And there are still plenty of people that can just throw money at it! There are still masses lying in wait due to covid fear and mandates that are going double down here soon.

Basically you have to:
1) Be low income and live off food stamps and unemployment from the state you are coming from and then and take advantage of Idaho taxpayers as well by living in a low income apartment
2) Have bought 5 years ago if you want to be close to a city that has any semblance of a function local economy and a decent hospital - Keep in mind that a healthcare worker can no longer afford to live here if they don’t already have a head start as far as the cash they bring with them... Your typical RN is a “traveler” coming here, single or a couple both “travelers” and renting a room or a small bachelor / in-laws type apartment.
3) Live off grid and do the food stamp thing... Remember they will eventually run out of other peoples money...
4)  Buy with cash. I think the numbers are somewhere around 90% in our area of people buying land and housing with cash in hand and they are outbidding each other - they are from out of state and in many cases buying what they see online.
5)Move to a bigger city in a state that borders Idaho

The only real tip I can think of is to maybe search Indian Reservation housing. I haven’t looked at pricing but those areas typically stay pretty depressed and you might find a hidden gem...They typically have a small hospital or medical center - it is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
There’s a ton of people on the West Coast buying in Idaho, mostly cash buys powered by tech stock money. Most of the ones that I know are conservative leaning that have had it with WA or CA. Since many companies went remote, pulling a tech salary in Idaho is very attractive. At least until the first big snow.

Prices in CDA area are up big in the last two years. I saw one place near me relisted for 30% more than 2019.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
stupid amounts of $$$
View Quote

How much is stupid?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How much is stupid?
View Quote

Wouldn’t budge off 650k.

Another friend just sold a $35k 5 acre lot (2 years ago) for....300k.

It’s like panic buying ammo up here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#18]
WOW.  He knows what he has!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Can confirm, thread is all true.

I bought my Meridian home in June last year for 680k, and at that price I thought the timing was terrible.  We had been looking for the last 5 years and have been watching the prices creep higher and higher.  By the time our escrow closed in September the builder's agent let us know that they would be selling the same floorplan for 100k over what we paid due to increased demand and increase in lumber/materials.  He said we should feel very lucky!

Fast forward 6 months to today - we've recently seen a similar house in the neighborhood sell for 900k, and the neighbors 2 doors down with near identical specs as my property just listed at 1.1m.  It's been on the market for a few weeks now so it's probably a little high.  I don't know what to make of it all.  I've been meaning to walk over there and ask them if they are shooing the moon or if it is based in reality, but things are really crazy around here!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Latest real estate news from North Idaho.

Attachment Attached File

A neighbor down the street said the best time to buy in Idaho was 10 years ago. The next best time is tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup market be crazy. In 2014, we bought our home for $150k and just this past weekend, a neighbor sold theirs for $415k. We are building a new one in the next town. By the time we sell this one, getting $450k for it won’t be out of the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Prices have gone up 50,100, or more percentage even since we moved here in 2018.

If you can afford to build, I see some small acreage pop up around Payette. Weiser too, but that's really pushing your travel time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I purchased my last home in 2004 for $140k.  Modest ranch style 3bed 2 bath on 5 acres.  Sold it in July 2020.  Listed it for 80K more than my realtor wanted to at 400K.  Sold it the day it listed for 5k more than the asking price.  Never seen anything quite like it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#24]
We got a smoking deal on our house last November, it was worth more than a 100k more than we paid. Seller needed out quick and we could pay cash, but the house is now worth well north of $600k.

We paid $375, but if we sold we couldn't afford to buy again.

We've considered selling out and moving to Alaska, but who knows.

Idaho is awesome if you have a lot of money, and we don't.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Prices have gone up 50,100, or more percentage even since we moved here in 2018.

If you can afford to build, I see some small acreage pop up around Payette. Weiser too, but that's really pushing your travel time.
View Quote

With construction costs trending the way they are, and gas beginning to rise quickly, building will become much less attractive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wouldn’t budge off 650k.

Another friend just sold a $35k 5 acre lot (2 years ago) for....300k.

It’s like panic buying ammo up here.
View Quote

Wow. Idaho prices are insane. I was looking at an old house in town somewhere near boise and they wanted $850,000, so I went to orange county california craigslist and could buy a nicer home for $200,000 less. That's insane. Orange county used to be like the most expensive place in the US.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Nebraska.It just ain’t happening here again... They are doing major highway expansion up here and there are too many stupid people with stupid money... It is like the 80’s in CA where they would go to the most redneck neighborhoods and build a tract of shotgun houses that would completely sell out before they had a foundation in but it ain’t cheap and it’s the whole state.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With construction costs trending the way they are, and gas beginning to rise quickly, building will become much less attractive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that you're right. If it wasn't run by Kate Brown and Portland I would suggest buying in Malheur county over across the border. Dual state income tax sucks, but the land and houses over there haven't gone full real estate tard yet. If Malheur, Baker, Lake, and those other two counties were able to actually join Idaho there's going to be a little time window to grab land before the rush. But that's just slightly more probable than me waking up tomorrow with purple scales for skin.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Mountain Home isn't fairing any better. Yes, prices are better than the Boise area, but they are going up fast here. Bought my current house with 11.5 acres and water rights south of MH in 2015 while I was still enlisted for $240K, now it's up to $450K or more! There are houses around me for sale with land, but you will pay for it. My son lucked out buying his first house in town, a small 1950's ranch for $100K from our realtor who is getting out of the rental business. It appraised for $146K last fall, and that's before we started doing some renovations to it and cleaning it up! My wife works for the Sheriff at the license department and she is issuing a lot of licenses daily to people moving from the Boise area and Kali.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#30]
First off, we're not actively looking since we have a house. But, we are always sort of passively looking I guess you could call it.

One popped up this weekend on Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon. My wife really liked it, I liked it but we were caught flat footed. Listed at $350k 3 bed, 3 bath, 3k sf. We got our guy to get us out there yesterday afternoon.

Already had 5 offers, we put one in too.

Not sure what the price was finally, but ours was north of asking up to 385k.

The offer the seller accepted was all cash, 10k earnest money, no inspection and close in two weeks.

Holy shit, whoever bought that place was not fucking around!

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
First off, we're not actively looking since we have a house. But, we are always sort of passively looking I guess you could call it.

One popped up this weekend on Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon. My wife really liked it, I liked it but we were caught flat footed. Listed at $350k 3 bed, 3 bath, 3k sf. We got our guy to get us out there yesterday afternoon.

The offer the seller accepted was all cash, 10k earnest money, no inspection and close in two weeks.

View Quote

What city?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What city?
View Quote

Nampa, Caldwell, Kuna take your pick.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What city?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What city?

Fruitland actually.

Heh
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
The “place” next door with a 70’s vintage double wide and some out buildings with a well was offered at $165k cash.

Sold for $222k in days.

It’s a tear down on 5 acres.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The “place” next door with a 70’s vintage double wide and some out buildings with a well was offered at $165k cash.

Sold for $222k in days.

It’s a tear down on 5 acres.

View Quote

Land goes for primo guap.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#36]

It'll sell for more than asking price too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

And then go where?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And then go where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then go where?

Argentina maybe?

But, that's the real problem.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Our “resort” campgrounds and mobile trailer parks are full of year round residents now.

Tons of people living out of travel trailers now full time up here waiting for a hunk of ground to become available.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#40]
My home in Nampa is now valued at over double what we paid 5 years ago and Nampa isn't considered anywhere near as desirable of an area compared to Kuna, Eagle, Meridian, Boise or Star.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My home in Nampa is now valued at over double what we paid 5 years ago and Nampa isn't considered anywhere near as desirable of an area compared to Kuna, Eagle, Meridian, Boise or Star.
View Quote

But it's working on being cool and trendy. Caldwell too for that matter. A couple years ago you could buy a place out around Melba for cheap (comparatively) if you could find a place for sale. Now you can find places for sale but they sure as hell ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm in Georgia and was bored, decided to look in the Idaho hometown section to see what was going on since I have a friend who has lived there and was thinking about going back. He bought a house in Idaho recently and has decided to stay in Georgia. From what he told me he is letting this house go at a steal. Four bedrooms, three bathrooms, over 3000 square feet, a little over an acre of land, located in Horseshoe Bend. Will need some paint, flooring, and maybe roof. $359,000. 40 minutes and 27 miles from Boise. The house next to his is only 2200 square feet and listed for $759,000.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm in Georgia and was bored, decided to look in the Idaho hometown section to see what was going on since I have a friend who has lived there and was thinking about going back. He bought a house in Idaho recently and has decided to stay in Georgia. From what he told me he is letting this house go at a steal. Four bedrooms, three bathrooms, over 3000 square feet, a little over an acre of land, located in Horseshoe Bend. Will need some paint, flooring, and maybe roof. $359,000. 40 minutes and 27 miles from Boise. The house next to his is only 2200 square feet and listed for $759,000.
View Quote

What's wrong with it that he's letting it go at a steal?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]
The two car garage is not included and is now gone. The house was built in 1989, moved to it's current location a few years ago by the previous owner before he passed away. My friend bought it from his estate. House is fully payed off. During the move, some of the sheetrock was damaged, needs to be nailed, mudded, and painted. The house is sitting on it's permanent foundation but needs a few support blocks under house in crawl space to fully complete. There is no sag in house as it sits but still needs to be done. My friend is in Georgia and just wants to sell quickly so he can build his house here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I know the picture is horrible, a friend of his from Boise is going to take more pictures in the next week or two. It's not even listed anywhere to sell yet, just decided to sell. I have some poor quality interior pictures I can email if interested.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:16:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The two car garage is not included and is now gone. The house was built in 1989, moved to it's current location a few years ago by the previous owner before he passed away. My friend bought it from his estate. House is fully payed off. During the move, some of the sheetrock was damaged, needs to be nailed, mudded, and painted. The house is sitting on it's permanent foundation but needs a few support blocks under house in crawl space to fully complete. There is no sag in house as it sits but still needs to be done. My friend is in Georgia and just wants to sell quickly so he can build his house here.
https://i.imgur.com/BY6zm8x.jpg
View Quote

Quoted:
I know the picture is horrible, a friend of his from Boise is going to take more pictures in the next week or two. It's not even listed anywhere to sell yet, just decided to sell. I have some poor quality interior pictures I can email if interested.
View Quote

What you describe is not $400k worth of improvements.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:50:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I forgot to add; besides being ridiculously expensive up here in North Idaho the Power frequently goes out when the wind blows, when it snows, when it rains and when it’s too dry. The other 17 days of the year it’s fine. Our hospitals up here are pretty ghetto and I’ve seen better medical services in Haiti. Our roads are either dirt or so poorly designed that you are likely to end up in a ditch, pond, river, or lake as you slide off the mountain on your way to the Piggly Wiggly. 4X4 high clearance vehicles with a winch are recommended and in a couple months you can wash the 400 extra pounds of mud off without your doors and windows freezing shut. The bears are waking up but I haven’t heard a wolf all year so we have that going for us. Oh, and great coffee.
View Quote

someone is sick of invaders.  Can’t say I blame you, northern Idaho is great.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying that he made up that stuff to dissuade me from moving there? It didn't sound bad to me. Sounded about like where I live now actually.
Anyways, now that I've been digging deeper I'm finding some affordable places. I think the area I'm looking at is treasure valley? The area from boise to the oregon border. Up to weiser and up to Idaho city. I really like idaho city.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you saying that he made up that stuff to dissuade me from moving there? It didn't sound bad to me. Sounded about like where I live now actually.
Anyways, now that I've been digging deeper I'm finding some affordable places. I think the area I'm looking at is treasure valley? The area from boise to the oregon border. Up to weiser and up to Idaho city. I really like idaho city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Treasure Valley. Weiser isn't technically part of the TV though, but it's not super far depending on your destination. Caldwell freeway exits are about an hour in good weather but maybe not counting traffic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/BY6zm8x.jpg
View Quote

House sold to investor today for $250,000. 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3016 square feet, no well or septic tank. Address is 46 Hanson Drive, Horseshoe Bend, ID. Keep an eye out for it in the future, he will probably spend $30,000 on it and sell for $600,000.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top