Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2021 8:48:04 AM EDT
i'll be working in the greater San Marcos/New Braunfels/San Antonio area for two weeks.

what do i need to see and do?

i'll be driving down and will have a vehicle.

buc-ee's in new braunfels is already on the list.

TIA.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Gruene TX is worth visiting - The Gristmill Restaurant has decent food (and a nice view of the Guadalupe River), and the Gruene Dancehall (located next door) often has good live music. ZZ Top recently recorded several videos there.

There are also some interesting (albeit tourist-heavy) shops in the surrounding several blocks.

The town of Gruene intersects with River Road, which follows the Guadalupe River through some great country - makes a nice afternoon drive.

Floore's Country Store in Helotes (just Northwest of San Antonio) often has good entertainment in a small venue.

The Missions of San Antonio are interesting - They're scattered throughout the southern side of the city, mostly located along the old San Antonio River.

I would suggest avoiding the Tower Of The Americas - The admissions price has been raised to over 20 bucks apiece (just to ride the elevator to the top), and the tower restaurant serves pricey, mediocre food.

Mi Tierra is often recommended for Mexican food, but is mediocre, IMO.

Other good food in the area:

Taco Taco
Panchito's (Excellent for breakfast!)
Taco Garage
225 Urban Smoke Barbecue - Quite possibly the best BBQ in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Muck and Fuss in New Braunfels for that burger with bacon jam and Havarti cheese.

ETA:spelling
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gruene TX is worth visiting - The Gristmill Restaurant has decent food (and a nice view of the Guadalupe River), and the Gruene Dancehall (located next door) often has good live music. ZZ Top recently recorded several videos there.

There are also some interesting (albeit tourist-heavy) shops in the surrounding several blocks.

The town of Gruene intersects with River Road, which follows the Guadalupe River through some great country - makes a nice afternoon drive.

Floore's Country Store in Helotes (just Northwest of San Antonio) often has good entertainment in a small venue.

The Missions of San Antonio are interesting - They're scattered throughout the southern side of the city, mostly located along the old San Antonio River.

I would suggest avoiding the Tower Of The Americas - The admissions price has been raised to over 20 bucks apiece (just to ride the elevator to the top), and the tower restaurant serves pricey, mediocre food.

Mi Tierra is often recommended for Mexican food, but is mediocre, IMO.

Other good food in the area:

Taco Taco
Panchito's (Excellent for breakfast!)
Taco Garage
225 Urban Smoke Barbecue - Quite possibly the best BBQ in San Antonio.
View Quote

cool.  thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank God you'll only be here 2 weeks.

Order brisket from Franklins TODAY, they are back ordered by almost 2 weeks for brisket and yes it's worth it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank God you'll only be here 2 weeks.

Order brisket from Franklins TODAY, they are back ordered by almost 2 weeks for brisket and yes it's worth it.
View Quote

i'll working so it's not like i'm a tourist or anything.  

BBQ is a whole nother topic.

i figure i'll ask around with the hotel front desk girls.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
A little bit east of San Antonio, Black's in Lockhart also has excellent BBQ.

If you get there just a little bit before they open, there's usually little or any waiting in line.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i'll be working in the greater San Marcos/New Braunfels/San Antonio area for two weeks.

what do i need to see and do?

i'll be driving down and will have a vehicle.

buc-ee's in new braunfels is already on the list.

TIA.
View Quote

Buc-ees?    It is a big convenience store...  I don't get it.  Nothing against it other than they are usually too crowded, but not what I'd consider a tourist destination.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A little bit east of San Antonio, Black's in Lockhart also has excellent BBQ.

If you get there just a little bit before they open, there's usually little or any waiting in line.
View Quote

I don't like going into Austin but Terry blacks bbq is my favorite so far. I haven't tried the other blacks, but the inlaws said they were not impressed.  Who knows, I just need to sample it myself I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top