Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 4:12:41 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can get relatively inexpensive straw in the panhandle? I'm building a lawn/soil from scratch and I cant get much of anything started without daily water expenditures on astronomical proportions. I'd like to put down straw to help keep the moisture near the seeds and to eventually become soil when it rots.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:25:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Dave’s hardware downtown has straw but we just bought 5 yards of “wood shavings” from panhandle post for next to nothing. They are 10 miles north of you on SpiritLake cut off.

We tried the straw/grassseed thing and it didn’t work out very well. Good topsoil is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dave’s hardware downtown has straw but we just bought 5 yards of “wood shavings” from panhandle post for next to nothing. They are 10 miles north of you on SpiritLake cut off.

We tried the straw/grassseed thing and it didn’t work out very well. Good topsoil is your friend.
View Quote

The wood shavings work for bolstering the soil? I was looking at a mulch type option but was worried it wouldnt have the needed effect
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The wood shavings work for bolstering the soil? I was looking at a mulch type option but was worried it wouldnt have the needed effect
View Quote

Soil supplements up here have to be pretty “organic”. Soil here has been described as moon dirt. The wood shavings will hold water and eventually break down-we are using it now in our garden boxes as filler and to hold water. The families up here who have good soil for gardens/grass have been working it for 15 years. If you’re trying a lawn are there sod farms nearby?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Soil supplements up here have to be pretty “organic”. Soil here has been described as moon dirt. The wood shavings will hold water and eventually break down-we are using it now in our garden boxes as filler and to hold water. The families up here who have good soil for gardens/grass have been working it for 15 years. If you’re trying a lawn are there sod farms nearby?
View Quote

Yea, we are trying to build some semi decent top soil from that "moon dirt" that we started out with. I realize it'll be many years before it is any good. I'll give the wood shavings a try. Thanks!!

I will be planting some deciduous trees too. The leaves should help provide organic material.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top