Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2018 8:13:06 PM EDT
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted here, but I thought this was too important to keep to myself.

I recently traveled on American Airlines on a non-stop flight from PDX.  I properly checked my bag with a firearm in it, and that’s where the shit show began.  When I arrived at my destination, the AA baggage office couldn’t find my bag, but they did find a different bag with my bag tag on it.  After a couple of hours at the airport with AA, TSA, and local law enforcement, I decided to move on with my vacation.  Later that night, I received a call from Mexico notifying me that my bag had traveled out of the country and was in Mexico City.  All said and done, I got the bag back without the firearm.  The current theory is that the firearm was stolen out of my bag in PDX and bag tags were switched with another bag.

I typically remove the firing pin and send it in a different suitcase, but failed to do it this time.  There is now a functioning firearm in the wrong hands.  If you’re traveling through PDX with a firearm, please be aware that this activity is taking place behind the scenes and, if possible, please make the firearm unusable in case it’s stolen.  Also, take your serial numbers with you so you can immediately file a police report.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the airline going to replace it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
AA said they'd compensate me for the current value, which won't replace it.  The bigger issue is that there's now another firearm in the wrong hands.  TSA told me that, though this is a rare occasion, it does happen and they have limited video in the handling area.  This isn't a "poor me" post, rather a heads up that if you travel with a firearm, there's a chance that you will lose it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AA said they'd compensate me for the current value, which won't replace it.  The bigger issue is that there's now another firearm in the wrong hands.  TSA told me that, though this is a rare occasion, it does happen and they have limited video in the handling area.  This isn't a "poor me" post, rather a heads up that if you travel with a firearm, there's a chance that you will lose it.
View Quote
There is always a chance you will lose items when traveling.  When it comes to firearm, rarely will I put them in checked baggage anymore because of situations like this, I normally ship them to myself at my final destination.  That way I can fully insure them for full replacement cost and they are handled differently than checked baggage is in flying with them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go out on a limb and say, if a firearm was sent to Mexico by American Airlines...  it was confiscated by the Mexican customs authorities when they screened the luggage.

There is no way they would accept a bag with a firearm into the country and then send it back out.  I'm sure it would violate a shit load of Mexican laws to just stick a firearm back in a suitcase and fly it out of the country on a common carrier.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd go out on a limb and say, if a firearm was sent to Mexico by American Airlines...  it was confiscated by the Mexican customs authorities when they screened the luggage.

There is no way they would accept a bag with a firearm into the country and then send it back out.  I'm sure it would violate a shit load of Mexican laws to just stick a firearm back in a suitcase and fly it out of the country on a common carrier.
View Quote
I suspect current thought is a Pdx baggage handler stole the weapon and swapped tags to confuse things. Pretty smart actually.

Sorry for the op’s loss and here is hoping for an nd into the perps nuts...
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I suspect current thought is a Pdx baggage handler stole the weapon and swapped tags to confuse things. Pretty smart actually.

Sorry for the op’s loss and here is hoping for an nd into the perps nuts...
View Quote
I used to fly almost monthly and I would bring a firearm to / from every time.  And I did this for 5 or so years and I never had an issue.

I think I got lucky.   Alaska Air changed my flight and sent my bag on the flight without me.  I asked about it before they did it and they were like, "no, it will be secured and waiting for you."  when I got to my destination it was out in the middle of the floor in the baggage claim area w/ 10 or so other bags with a little rope around them.  I just walked up and took my bag from the pile and walked away.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I used to fly almost monthly and I would bring a firearm to / from every time.  And I did this for 5 or so years and I never had an issue.

I think I got lucky.   Alaska Air changed my flight and sent my bag on the flight without me.  I asked about it before they did it and they were like, "no, it will be secured and waiting for you."  when I got to my destination it was out in the middle of the floor in the baggage claim area w/ 10 or so other bags with a little rope around them.  I just walked up and took my bag from the pile and walked away.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got the same song and dance when I checked a pistol in. I show up at PDX and it's just sitting there, unwatched and unsecured.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
@Tacer

Maybe they caught the cocksucker that stole your gun?

Thief busted at PDX, get a rope.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
How do the baggage handlers know a firearm is in a bag? Does the airline set these bags aside for special treatment?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
They got him!  Scary to think that he likely would've gotten away with it if he hadn't gotten greedy.  So relieved that my gun is off the streets...
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How do the baggage handlers know a firearm is in a bag? Does the airline set these bags aside for special treatment?
View Quote
TSA tags it for special handling.  Apparently the system is flawed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
How do they tag the bag? I thought the tag goes in the bag and not on it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Tacer

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@Tacer

Just came here to post the same link.

Sounds exactly like what happened to OP’s bag with switched tags and everything.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/29/airport-baggage-handler-accused-stealing-firearms-from-travelers-luggage.html

Quoted:
They got him!  Scary to think that he likely would've gotten away with it if he hadn't gotten greedy.  So relieved that my gun is off the streets...
You get your gun back or it is tied up in evidence forever?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top