Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2022 10:59:41 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I had a handgun stolen.

I was wondering other than reporting to CMPD, what's my other best options to hopefully get it back? (not getting my hopes up).
Post on boards, call pawn shops?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you report it stolen it'll get listed in the NCIC database, and any FFL that it passes through it'll get flagged as stolen. So I wouldn't waste my time with pawnshops honestly. I had one stolen in 2018, i think, it may have been 2017. HK P30L, in Lewisville. I got a call in September 2020 it had been recovered from a MVA in Kannapolis from a known gang member. He was supposed to go to trial last month, and I'm supposed to get it back after sentencing, but I haven't heard anything and I haven't called the DA's office yet, either.

Short version - All you really can do is wait and hope the cops get lucky.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once you report it stolen it'll get listed in the NCIC database, and any FFL that it passes through it'll get flagged as stolen. So I wouldn't waste my time with pawnshops honestly. I had one stolen in 2018, i think, it may have been 2017. HK P30L, in Lewisville. I got a call in September 2020 it had been recovered from a MVA in Kannapolis from a known gang member. He was supposed to go to trial last month, and I'm supposed to get it back after sentencing, but I haven't heard anything and I haven't called the DA's office yet, either.

View Quote

Ok, sounds good.  I'm glad you'll probably get it back.

Thanks so much for the info!
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s not always true. That’s what should happen. Two years ago a co worker if mine purchased a P229 on gunbroker. He planned to carry it for LE duty. He ran the gun through NCIC as required by policy. It was stolen. He purchased if from a pawn shop in Alabama and had it transferred here to Asheville area. Neither FFL caught it. That made me realize it’s  probably semi common. FFLs don’t have access to NCIC, how would they know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top