Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2022 9:11:59 AM EDT
Short story; Descano and his chief got into an argument with two courthouse officers (Allied Security not sheriffs) over bypassing the metal detector.  

Descano filed a complaint, put them on the Brady list, refused to cooperate with the investigation, and when they were cleared, kept the officers on the Brady list.  

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fairfax-virginia-descano-confrontation-cleared-investigation-brady-list
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Since this is now in the public forum and only a simple google search away, They should sue Descano/Manikas for Libel, this impugns their good name and interferes with their livelihood. I would be filing a BAR compliant too

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Descano also pursued CRIMINAL charges of libel against someone over political views.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Descano also pursued CRIMINAL charges of libel against someone over political views.
View Quote

The magistrate brought those charges, but yes, Descano should have dropped them like a hot potato the moment they reached his office.  

Outside of his political activism leanings, his office is in complete disarray.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The magistrate brought those charges, but yes, Descano should have dropped them like a hot potato the moment they reached his office.  

View Quote

He pursued them.

I know a guy from school who just left that office in... dramatic fashion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Was told they are having to hire local private defense attorneys as part time prosecutors because nobody on staff as experience prosecuting complex cases like homicides. Not sure how this is not some kind of conflict of interest.

Hire defense attorney that represents accused killer A one week to then prosecute a different accused killer B next week.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait can some explain this story. I had not heard of this before. Wondering how a magistrate just issues a warrant on their own?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wait can some explain this story. I had not heard of this before. Wondering how a magistrate just issues a warrant on their own?
View Quote

Most of the details are in this link.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I should have been clear in my question. I meant the story about the magistrate issuing warrants on their own. Or was this all part of the same story?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was the story I was referencing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry, I should have been clear in my question. I meant the story about the magistrate issuing warrants on their own. Or was this all part of the same story?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I pasted the wrong link earlier.

Here's the story.  
On September 23, 2021, Torrico went before a Fairfax County magistrate and filed two criminal complaints against Jackson. He called attention to Jackson’s role in suing the school district, writing, “Harry R. Jackson is a plaintiff on two lawsuits against FCPS.”

Magistrate Richard M. Miller issued two misdemeanor summons against Jackson citing Section 18.2-417, an obscure law enacted in 1950 making it illegal to “slander and libel” the chastity of a woman. In the 1970s, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against the criminalization of speech protected by the First Amendment, but the Virginia statute has remained in code. In 2020, the Democrat-controlled Virginia legislature changed the language to make it illegal to express “words derogatory” about a “person’s character for virtue and chastity,” instead of a “female’s character.”

Basically, the creepy guy went to the magistrate, swore out a complaint and Descano's office ran with it.   That's an artifact of Virginia law where magistrates can bring charges for most misdemeanors.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was told they are having to hire local private defense attorneys as part time prosecutors because nobody on staff as experience prosecuting complex cases like homicides. Not sure how this is not some kind of conflict of interest.

Hire defense attorney that represents accused killer A one week to then prosecute a different accused killer B next week.
View Quote

That used to be fairly common, as was a jurisdiction only having a part time CA who also practiced in other jurisdictions.  Of course, typically you’d bring on a special who did not do much in your locality, to try to avoid potential conflicts.  I get the feeling that ethics aren’t the driving force behind this guy’s decisions.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That used to be fairly common, as was a jurisdiction only having a part time CA who also practiced in other jurisdictions.  Of course, typically you’d bring on a special who did not do much in your locality, to try to avoid potential conflicts.  I get the feeling that ethics aren’t the driving force behind this guy’s decisions.  
View Quote

I have heard of it and maybe have even seen it done but it’s usually from neighboring jurisdictions like you said. Like a defense attorney in Hampton might also be a prosecutor in York county. Not a defense attorney in Hampton also being a prosecutor in Hampton. I used the places to illustrate only, not that they do this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before I got a fulltime ACA slot, I was a part-time ACA in one county, and had a small defense practice in the surrounding counties (10/11th circuits). Also, there are a lot of specialized JDR prosecutor slots that are grant-funded and so are part-time.

I believe there are still a handful of truly part-time elected CA positions... Craig County I BELIEVE is still one; I imagine certain places like Highland County might as well. These are counties with total populations under about 5,000. There aren't many. My old boss, when he was first elected in 1980 (he retired last year at seniority #4) prosecuted and had a bustling civil practice simultaneously. I believe most of the big changes in this realm occurred in the mid 90's?

As to how the magistrate issued the charges on his/her own, that's their job. Citizens and police go to the magistrate, fill out a criminal complaint (or give sworn oral testimony in the case of police), and the magistrate issues the warrant upon finding of probable cause. A citizen used to be able to swear out a felony warrant without any LE involvement; this only changed within the last 10 years or so. Even so, there have been quite a few rubber stamped LE "investigations" on a citizen felony warrant request. I've had to defend as well as prosecute them. They usually fail at the earliest preliminary levels, if the CA even pursues them.

Only a handful of charges require prior approval by the CA's office, these are laid out in statute. Capital Murder (or whatever its new title is) is the only one that comes to mind; although out of habit most magistrates in my experience would not issue warrants against elected or appointed officials without the CA being involved.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top