Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2020 11:46:35 AM EDT
Took a drive down to Elephant Rocks yesterday and they've put up new concrete barriers and gates to keep people out, 15 miles up the road Johnson's Shut Inns is wide open. Is there supposed to be some sort of logic to this or did they just throw darts at a map?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think any of the state parks were closed. I've been to Mark Twain's State Park, and four different conservation areas more than once since the Chinese flu and none of them have been closed. So.......?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
No they closed quite a few of them......claimed they didn't have staff to empty trash, safety, etc.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The last I knew they were only closing common areas. Picnic areas, boat ramps, bathrooms etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#5]
They completely closed the ones that were being heavily used. Only a handful.

But they closed the facilities on all of them I think. I was down at Bennett last week & while you could fish, everything else was closed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
They closed the off road vehicle areas at St Joe but everything else is open. Says it will reopen the 18th but you have to call ahead and get your permit
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
They closed elephant rocks after the first weekend of lockdown when the parking lot was 125% full.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dab2:
I didn't think any of the state parks were closed. I've been to Mark Twain's State Park, and four different conservation areas more than once since the Chinese flu and none of them have been closed. So.......?
View Quote

The only MDC things that are closed are nature centers, manned shooting ranges and offices.  All other areas are open unless they are closed for construction or maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By thorshammerblow:

The only MDC things that are closed are nature centers, manned shooting ranges and offices.  All other areas are open unless they are closed for construction or maintenance.
View Quote

Gotcha...thank you!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:
They closed elephant rocks after the first weekend of lockdown when the parking lot was 125% full.
View Quote

Yup, to set an example.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Pumpkinheaver:

Yup, to set an example.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
They closed elephant rocks after the first weekend of lockdown when the parking lot was 125% full.

Yup, to set an example.

An example of how overbearing our state government can be
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By woodxdm:

An example of how overbearing our state government can be
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yup, to set an example.

Nailed it.

Although we are much more fortunate than many other states.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I know roaring river will open their campground tomorrow (5/18).  We will be going down this Friday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top