Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2023 6:12:39 PM EDT
Moving out to Stevensville in a month and somehow talked my work into changing my job role and allowing me to stay on working remotely.

I will need a good internet connection and we're landing at my folks place until we can find a property of our own. They have wireless internet via radio and get about 10-13 Mbps download speeds which isn't terrible but I don't know how that will handle voip calls and video conferencing.

Looking into getting starlink as an alternative and wondering what kind of speeds folks are getting in the area? The starlink setup has a lead time and I'll need it ready to go when I get there if I go that route because I will only have a few days off before I'll need to be back at work.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Starlink and work remote. I actually have DSL too. I have both connections in a load balanced/failover configuration for extra redundancy but Starlink is solid enough these days that the DSL probably isn't necessary.

During working hours I can always get over 100mbps out of my starlink. With both connections together I can often pull more than 300mbps during the work day and my DSL is only getting about 60 of that.

Speeds seem to drop quite a bit in the evenings but still way better than the local WISP.

I wouldn't recommend the local WISP.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Live in Corvallis and have Starlink. Speed is legit. I’m not a computer guy but I did the test stuff when we originally got it. I think we were about average as compared to what other Starlink customers were saying. Seems way faster than our old comcast connection. Takes a little hit in stormy weather, but not bad at all. I think you just need to not have any trees near your dish deal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
This was a previous speed test in the morning on a work day

Did this one just now

Note that my network configuration means it's a coin flip which ISP speedtest.net shows.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input! It's overall quite a bit faster than I expected. Those speeds are on par with my spectrum cable internet where I'm at now and faster than the speeds I get through the company wifi network at the factory on my phone. Tested it on my desktop on the company network and I get 7483.59 Mbps download, 35 upload. Hard to compete with that download speed although it always seems slow.

Starlink it is!

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input! It's overall quite a bit faster than I expected. Those speeds are on par with my spectrum cable internet where I'm at now and faster than the speeds I get through the company wifi network at the factory on my phone. Tested it on my desktop on the company network and I get 7483.59 Mbps download, 35 upload. Hard to compete with that download speed although it always seems slow.

Starlink it is!

View Quote

If you need a mount, I designed and 3d printed an adapter for a standard J-pole type mount.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks I'll remember that. I'm not sure how I will end up mounting the antenna yet but that looks like a good option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top