Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2023 1:42:31 PM EDT
Wife is pregnant, and for some reason chose to get her prenatal care done at St Alphonsus despite us living less than 5 minutes from St Lukes Meridian. Is there any reason not to switch to the hospitol next to us over Alphonsus which is 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic? Does one have a better reputation for prenatal, birth, and post-birth care?

This is our first kid so it's all new to me. I suspect she picked the hospital with the first available appointment and didn't think about the distance or research their reputation.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Bruh,  don't try arguing with a pregnant woman.  Just don't.

My last one was at Caldwell West Valley.  No complaints.

How long do you have?

Most places offer a class that is the introduction of what to expect.  Look to see if they both have it and see if one place clicks.

Having done this a few times, a couple of tips.  Pack your go bag and make sure you have the stuff you think you will need.  Even things like phone chargers and snacks.  Most of the time they keep you overnight and send you on your way.  Do your best to be prepared, your wife is likely to be pretty out of it.  Both times I spent the whole night walking up and down the hall because it was the only way my kids would sleep.

Prepare now to forgive her for anything they might say.  

I have done it at a couple of hospitals.  Both times I brought a gift basket for the nurses.  Snacks, ramen, stuff like that.  Seemed to help.  On the second kid we had to go back for something a month or so later.  We were immediately identified as "those nice people that brought the basket".  Not saying we got special treatment, but they sure were nice, lol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Due date in late October, so we have a while

Good advice all around, thanks

I don't think my wife will mind changing things, she didn't realize the distance or that she should be getting her OB-GYN stuff done with the hospital she's likely to actually go to for the birth. Only the first ultrasound has happened so far so it shouldn't be an issue switching at this point. I just want to do it before she meets with a prenatal care doctor, so that doctor is associated with the same hospital she'll be going to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You got a long time, yet it will feel like it happens tomorrow.

One of mine was about 40 min from hospital and the other one was 20.  It was manageable, but I had everything prepped and ready to go and knew the route well.

Having said that, my wife argued with me both times about it not being time.  The first one was a 40 min ride and when we arrived she was pretty close.  If I would have waited much longer it would have been a mess in the car.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wife is pregnant, and for some reason chose to get her prenatal care done at St Alphonsus despite us living less than 5 minutes from St Lukes Meridian. Is there any reason not to switch to the hospitol next to us over Alphonsus which is 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic? Does one have a better reputation for prenatal, birth, and post-birth care?

This is our first kid so it's all new to me. I suspect she picked the hospital with the first available appointment and didn't think about the distance or research their reputation.
View Quote

Did the same thing with our first. Even though St Luke’s was 5 minutes away, chose St Als. They have a separate building for birthing services. So you don’t get thrown in the same waiting area as everyone else.

Tbh though, if we had to do it all over again, we would have gone with a birthing center with our first. We did this with our last two and it was an incredible experience.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did the same thing with our first. Even though St Luke’s was 5 minutes away, chose St Als. They have a separate building for birthing services. So you don’t get thrown in the same waiting area as everyone else.

Tbh though, if we had to do it all over again, we would have gone with a birthing center with our first. We did this with our last two and it was an incredible experience.
View Quote

Many of these are less like hospitals and more like a hotel, which is a nice change.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Many of these are less like hospitals and more like a hotel, which is a nice change.
View Quote

Yup. King size bed, soaker tub, private bathroom. Low stress, very hands off unless needed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
We had our 1st @ Luke's Meridian and 2nd @ Luke's Downtown. (I was born at St. Luke's Downtown, but back then it was the only game in town!).  Room and hospital much bigger, newer and nicer at Meridian, closer to home.  Downtown small, cramped, parking is terrible.  We live closer to the Meridian.  Both kids were supposed to be scheduled c-section, #1 came early, #2 was right on time.  I know the OB-GYN my wife went to for #1 had us seeing our primary OB, and at least one visit with everyone in their staff, in the event your OB was not delivering the day you were supposed to go in.  I don't recall if it had to do with where the OB's were contracted or which hospitals they deliver at.  Our 2nd child we went with a very well known OB who only delivers downtown.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have nothing but good things to say about St. Luke’s downtown. Wife is a nurse and had an excellent experience there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top