Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/30/2019 6:28:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope the picture in that article is from at least a few months ago!
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope the picture in that article is from at least a few months ago!
View Quote
I wish they would have included more pictures in the article. I drove past last weekend and they still hadn't started paving the new drive. I think I'll drive past there again today.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for updates ....any news guys?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Pics from Labor Day. Looks like the gravel has been compacted in preparation for paving. Not sure what the dirt berm on the other side of the dozer is all about.

Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pics from Labor Day. Looks like the gravel has been compacted in preparation for paving. Not sure what the dirt berm on the other side of the dozer is all about.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51409/20190902_102922_resized_-_Edited-1085273.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51409/20190902_102912_resized_-_Edited-1085274.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for pics hopefully we get a firm date soon
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I called Xenia office today, said October, no firm date yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I called Xenia office today, said October, no firm date yet.
View Quote
Judging by what I saw, I didn't think it was going to be this month like they have been saying.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding the rifle range any details coming out? How many 50 yard and 100 yard positions?
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like they put the drive in the one place at SV I've actually seen deer and haven't tripped over other hunters.

Really hope it opens soon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine called the Xenia office the other day and it sounds like there will be a delay in opening. Said they (ODNR) decided to make the backstops taller and are waiting to hear back from the contractor. It may be a couple of weeks or a couple of months.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I called Xenia Office today and was told November, the lady said "contractors you know"! I asked if it would be December next time I call and then January, she just said who knows!

EDIT: Thinking the bright side, maybe the contract will pay a big penalty and the range will be free for 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#13]
For what it's worth, here's some potato cam pics from yesterday.

Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for sharing the pics......wish they were ready to open
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I called Xenia Office today and was told November, the lady said "contractors you know"! I asked if it would be December next time I call and then January, she just said who knows!

EDIT: Thinking the bright side, maybe the contract will pay a big penalty and the range will be free for 10 years.
View Quote
Regardless it’s becoming suspicious almost as if there is no completion clause/date in the construction contract.....at this rate we will be having this same discussion in April.......”hard winter and all” you know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Regardless it's becoming suspicious almost as if there is no completion clause/date in the construction contract.....at this rate we will be having this same discussion in April......."hard winter and all" you know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless it's becoming suspicious almost as if there is no completion clause/date in the construction contract.....at this rate we will be having this same discussion in April......."hard winter and all" you know.
I'm going to drive past today sometime to get more pics... If there's been any noticeable progress made.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I went and took a couple of pics today but they're not worth posting since there was not much of any progress to be seen from the road.

However, I did get a chance to look at some up close photos taken 2 weeks ago of the ranges and buildings themselves and observations made from inside the range today. Lets just say that they have gotten a lot of work done but still have quite a bit to do. I wouldn't expect it to open anytime soon.

If you have any questions I can try to answer them going by the few pics I saw and what I was told.

I think 5 vehicles pulled up while I was there asking about the range.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I went and took a couple of pics today but they're not worth posting since there was not much of any progress to be seen from the road.

However, I did get a chance to look at some up close photos taken 2 weeks ago of the ranges and buildings themselves and observations made from inside the range today. Lets just say that they have gotten a lot of work done but still have quite a bit to do. I wouldn't expect it to open anytime soon.

If you have any questions I can try to answer them going by the few pics I saw and what I was told.

I think 5 vehicles pulled up while I was there asking about the range.
View Quote
Thanks for the update .....I'm sure it’s going to be very nice when completed but it sounds like they are probably further behind than anyone is willing to admit at this point
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Regardless it’s becoming suspicious almost as if there is no completion clause/date in the construction contract.....at this rate we will be having this same discussion in April.......”hard winter and all” you know.
View Quote
In the Dayton Daily News article back in July says "Xenia-based R Sutherland Construction is the contractor on the project, which is being paid for through federal Pittman-Robertson wildlife conservation funds." I looked up the company, says established in 2007, 2 employees! Not really unusual in construction business but sure gives a lot of confidence!
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/rain-delays-opening-popular-shooting-range/hAbRNHtfpTlILkdvV0JymL/
https://www.manta.com/c/mmyrfyt/r-sutherland-construction
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully by Spring.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#21]
A flyover at YouTube from a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93cLaCNgFG8

Another one from 3 weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLhQo6paFqM

Another one in April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYuYxdC039M

Compare to 3 yrs ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nN6GFe5u_U

Thank you John Belluardo! Happy flying!
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the videos Hank. I wish he would have loitered a little longer though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#23]
A new one from Sunday. Looks like parking lots and entrance road are paved, that likely means November opening is real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Iq0SPHop4
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Does it look to anyone that the amount of pistol spots has been increased to any extent?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does it look to anyone that the amount of pistol spots has been increased to any extent?
View Quote
Definitely looks like more pistol lanes, the 50 yrs looks like the same or even less. Will see soon!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I sure hope so! Only having five 10yd pistol slots resulted in me doing U-turn in the lot and heading back out numerous times.

It will be nice to get rifles out for the first time since the closure!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I sure hope so! Only having five 10yd pistol slots resulted in me doing U-turn in the lot and heading back out numerous times.

View Quote
Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ain't that the truth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.
Tell me about it. I've 2 M-1 Carbines and 2 AR builds that need a decent 50/100 yard zero, plus 2 M-1 Carbines at Fulton Armory getting tuned up that will need testing and zeroing soon
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m looking forward to the opening!
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Called the range today, someone picked up the phone, I thought it has to be good, asked when the range would be open, he said no date yet but likely a month or 2! I said the parking lots and entrance road are paved, he said just for the construction vehicles coming in easier, still work to be done. Be patient!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Called the range today, someone picked up the phone, I thought it has to be good, asked when the range would be open, he said no date yet but likely a month or 2! I said the parking lots and entrance road are paved, he said just for the construction vehicles coming in easier, still work to be done. Be patient!
View Quote
Trying not to be negative but it feels like this might continue for some time......I’m surprised as I would have thought there would be a completion clause in the agreement with Contractor. Then again if the client makes changes those dates go out the window. Who knows.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
So next Spring.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm curious as to whether Ohio DNR or whoever is heading this up had bunch of changes or if they just hired the lowest bidder who can't hit the dates.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm curious as to whether Ohio DNR or whoever is heading this up had bunch of changes or if they just hired the lowest bidder who can't hit the dates.
View Quote
It’s been closed for over a year........I have seen some pretty complex construction projects completed in less time but they were incentivized ....it would be interesting to know the back story for sure
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I thought someone here posted that ODNR asked the contractor to make the backstops taller after they had completed the initial work on them. Maybe that's part of the holdup.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#36]
All that work and they couldent take the rifle range out
Another 100 yards maybe 200?  SV was the first place i ever went shooting with my grandfather.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All that work and they couldent take the rifle range out
Another 100 yards maybe 200?  SV was the first place i ever went shooting with my grandfather.
View Quote
I'd heard that they were going extend part of the rifle range to 300yds, but that obviously wasn't true.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Dang.  Id like to think it maybe still in the works
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#39]
200 yards would be nice but not the 30 minutes it would take for people to walk out and back during cease fires.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
200 yards would be nice but not the 30 minutes it would take for people to walk out and back during cease fires.
View Quote
There is that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
not to mention sometimes there are dudes that call ceasefires literally every 10 minutes
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#42]
View from the new drive as of Friday 11/29.

Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Spring Valley State shooting range 102719
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Anything longer distances yha use steel
Targets of different sizes and shapes. No running out to check paper targets..
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#45]
just checked their website, still says "closed for construction until fall 2019". Fall will be over in 2 weeks, they will either need to change that or open within 2 weeks! When they closed at the end of September last year, they said 8 to 10 months, now it has been 14 months.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
just checked their website, still says "closed for construction until fall 2019". Fall will be over in 2 weeks, they will either need to change that or open within 2 weeks! When they closed at the end of September last year, they said 8 to 10 months, now it has been 14 months.
View Quote
Well they certainly don’t appear to be in any hurry to open that’s for sure.......
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I drove past it yesterday,  knew it was still closed.  I wonder if the GC is having financial issues.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I just got off the phone with the Xenia ODNR office.

They're waiting on the contractor to get back with them about improvements so bullets won't go over the backstop. In other words, make them taller.
Planning on opening sometime this spring.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with the Xenia ODNR office.

They're waiting on the contractor to get back with them about improvements so bullets won't go over the backstop. In other words, make them taller.
Planning on opening sometime this spring.
View Quote
Thanks slade.....it’s almost comical at this point
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top