Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 3:06:16 PM EDT
I’m not sure how to articulate this so bear with my ramblings

Husband buys gun and does 4473 and wife takes it to training class or even open carries it or shoots a car jacker etc

Are they considered one unit so it’s not a legal transfer of the firearm from one to another?

What’s the statute or applicable legalese I can reference?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be a gift. You can legally gift a firearm to immediate family without a BG check.

If you are selling to a non-immediate family member, a background check must be done by an FFL (Federal Firearm Licensee).  However, immediate family members do not need background checks done to transfer firearms between one another.  The firearm should not be transferred to any family member who is prohibited from purchasing and/or possessing firearm.  Immediate family is defined as spouses, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles (in-laws do not apply).  (CRS 18-12-112)
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would be a gift. You can legally gift a firearm to immediate family without a BG check.

View Quote

I thought they closed that loophole in 2013.

No gifts or loans

I hope I am wrong
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

So even if it’s temporary (for the day) they’d consider a transfer but legal among immediate family?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So even if it's temporary (for the day) they'd consider a transfer but legal among immediate family?
View Quote

As explained to me by a friend who is a FFL, as long as they are immediate family (inlaws don't count) and there is no cash payment involved, you're gtg. No paperwork necessary.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As explained to me by a friend who is a FFL, as long as they are immediate family (inlaws don't count) and there is no cash payment involved, you're gtg. No paperwork necessary.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#8]

I hope I am wrong
View Quote

you are
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Totally legal.
View Quote

Good to see you last night
My parents were having a hard time comprehending
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top