Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2021 3:50:53 PM EDT
Going there for sons Hockey tourney...7 hour drive from El Paso .

The only thing I have heard from a few people is to hit Big Texas Steak House.

Anything historic to check out? Any good famous watering holes?

TIA.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Palo Duro canyon. Go see it. The Big Texan is a tourist trap with okay food.
View Quote

This, and Cadillac Ranch.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas Air & Space Museum. Seems like there is a small car collection museum in town, too.

If you're horsemen, the Quarter Horse HOF Museum.

If you're into trains, they have a train museum there.

There's even an RV museum, but I've never been there. Just not into it.

As mentioned, the Big Texan is not good food (IMO) and locals rate it below things like Hoffbrau and Salt Grass. Hopefully, someone local will come along and clue you in on good, local restaurants.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Palo Duro
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
For supper one night to to Grand st just south of the Walmart and eat at Coyote Bluff. Go early because it fills up fast and it’s small but they have the best burgers ever, oh and the chili cheese fries are great too.  If you like hibachi, Kabuki on I40 is really good, cool atmosphere too, also gets packed on weekend evenings.  BBQ is Tyler’s BBQ on Paramount, included in the top 50 Q joints in Texas if that means anything to you.  Lunch try Youngblood Stockyard cafe, I can’t remember if they are open on the weekend but they have the best chicken fried steak in Texas, plus being built onto the stockyards it’s got cool “authentic” atmosphere. As said, hit up PDC but make reservations now as it’s been filling up to capacity lately, if they are booked go down to Caprock Canyon SP, a lot like PDC but less crowded and when your done for the evening go to Hotel Turkey for supper, great food and on weekends has live music.  If I think of other places I’ll post them up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#6]
All I can add past what has been said above is 575 pizzeria. They are fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
if you do go to the Big Texan, do the 72oz challenge and let us know.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Big-Texan-72oz-Steak-Challenge-Live-Feed/5-2366691/
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Made it here, staying at Embassy Suites..seems like there is a bunch of eats around here. The signs I saw for the 72oz challenge along 54 and 40 made it seem cheesy.

Looking at the game schedule, not going to have too much time to explore.

Bunch of cops here at the hotel, some convention..bar gonna be packed later.

Going to look at that pizza place..Pizza in El Paso is "lacking".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top