Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2022 4:28:23 PM EDT
Duane posted Here that he is hosting a one day Appleseed shoot in Newberry.  

To be clear, there will be no instruction at this event and it is only open to people who have taken the Appleseed course before.  

If you are interested and are not a member of the Project Appleseed forum, send me a message here and I will relay it to Duane to contact you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks 57plymouth!

I just sent Duane an IM--I'll see you there!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Reminder that this shoot is this weekend.

There are still slots available on the line if you want to join in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
@57plymouth

Have you ever shot at this range?  

Just curious about with all the rain, how bad will the mud be?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
@ FighterFixer1 It's all grass.  

The July shoot was there and the only bare dirt is on the berm itself.  The entire area between the berm and the shooting shelter is grass.  

On Sunday of the last Appleseed it rained nearly all day.  We were all very wet, but there was no mud.

Additionally, I will be bringing a tarp to lay down under the shooting mats, and Steve always has a large tarp to set out.  

You will probably get wet if it's raining, but you won't get muddy.

The driveway in is very long and all gravel.  The last 100 ft is a very steep drop.  My Buick sedan made it just fine up and down the steep part, but another shooter left his Civic at the top and walked in.  We were the only two that were not in trucks or SUV's of some sort.  Be prepared to either stop at the clearing at the top, or be ready to make your traction control lose it's mind if you are in a sedan like I will be.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info......guess I'll be driving the old Dodge 4x4 with it's whopping 15 MPG.

My little commuter car sits too low for anything worse than a county maintained dirt road.....got it stuck at Clinton House's 1000 yard range awhile ago and I'm not taking it offroad again.

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you coming from?  Are you in the Columbia area?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm way out past Pelion.  I'm a little over an hour to the range via back roads.  

*If you were (very generously) offering to carpool, I was just making a joke about the truck.....it actually get closer to 16 MPG

But seriously, the truck is my fun/chore vehicle.  It's old,rusty, dented, and smells kinda funky--but it's reliable and it goes places I won't take my nice vehicles.

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I was offering, but I'm in Blythewood.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#9]
This is why I'm still here after almost 20 years.  Good people--Thank you

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you taking rimfire or centerfire tomorrow?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My shoulder is still pretty jacked up, so I'm going to stick with rimfire.

(I'll bring an AR to shoot at least one AQT if I can, but it's gonna depend on how bad it hurts to sling up)
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
@57plymouth

Hey 57P--thanks for posting the invitation!  I had a great time.  It was awesome to meet you and see the AS instructors again.

Whenever you're out in my neck of the woods, give me a holler.....and I'll see you in Oct :-)
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#13]
It was fun.  Glad we got to go shoot.  That 10/22 of yours is a BAAAD gun!!  I've never shot as good as I did with that rifle.

Time to spend some money on some glass, and possibly a trigger.  Definitely a scope though.  Like I posted on the AS forum, I've never been able to see the 3rd and 4th rows clearly on the AQT.  Having used your rifle I'm actually surprised that I've managed to score as high as I have with that scope.  I have always sort of "pointed" in the general area of the 4th row and have never been able to see the target clearly.  Right off I got the max score on that row with your rifle.

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Let me know if you want to sell that scope.  I'm looking at this Vortex but I'm not married to anything. That's the Vortex that AS has on their website for a decent price, but I already have rings and a cantilever rail.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I went digging through the Closet of Lost and Unloved Parts.  

I've got the box to that scope, but the optic itself hasn't turned up.  I'm starting to wonder if I gave it to my nephew over last Thanksgiving.  (we went out to Pantaeo and I had him ringing steel at 600 with the centerfires and he was making hits at 400 with the 10/22s)

That little Crossfire is a decent piece of glass for the money. The glass is a lot clearer than the typical Chinese stuff, and it's plenty of scope for Appleseed.

For my uses, 12x or 16x works best for me.  They're twice the $$$ of the Crossfire, but either a Strike Eagle 3-18 second focal plane with EBR4 reticle or a Diamondback Tactical 4-14 first focal plane with the EBR-2C (both run $350) is a nice optic.....not too big, not too small, has the lifetime stupid proof warranty, and parallax focuses down to 10 yards.

I'm using a Diamondback Tactical 4-14 on my B14R.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm... $350 optic on a $350 rifle?  

I see your point completely though.

I did, however, find this closeout Vortex Diamondback that does not have as much magnification.  But for a budget optic on a budget gun?  I think either of these would be fine for Appleseed.  I'm not prepared to build a rifle as serious as yours.  If I get there, I'll probably either build a new rifle from scratch or buy a pre-made precision .22 instead of modifying this basic rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't use that particular Diamondback on an Appleseed rifle.  Fixed parallax at 100 yards makes it pretty hard to focus at 25.

You should look specifically for rimfire scopes, or scopes with adjustable parallax--the closer, the better.  For instance, my 4.5-27x56 Razor is unbelievable--I've made hits at 1 mile with that rig, but it's practically useless on a rimfire.....at full magnification, I need to be 75-100 yards from the target in order to focus.  

I would suggest reading up on parallax and how it can affect POA vs POI.  You're new to scopes, and it's pretty important--if your parallax isn't adjusted properly, or you have your head out of position to the eyebox outside the parallax setting, it can make the difference between a solid hit or a clean miss....especially on small targets.

Read the specs on a scope before you buy one--make sure it either has adjustable p (down to 10-20 yards) or if it's fixed, its no further than 50.

ETA:  I am a bit of an optics snob, and while I know for a fact that there are plenty of good, inexpensive options that work well in Appleseeds, I tend to gravitate towards the higher end stuff.  Mostly because the majority of my shooting is bench or prone precision and I need more clarity and finer aiming points. I'm also twiddling my turrets as I move from short to long range and back so repeatable tracking is a must.  If your goal is to zero at 25 and leave it there, you won't need the exposed turrets with zero stops, and repeatable tracking isn't nearly as important.

You should head over to PSA, Academy, or Sportsman's and take a look through a few different rimfire or adjustable p scopes to see which ones you like.  Pretty much all the major manufacturers make something suitable.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top