User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was a fun time, for sure.  Thanks again for organizing it!

Before this, I had been doing 4 mile rucks in my neighborhood at an 18 min/mile pace so I didn't look like a crazy dude speed-walking through suburbia.

It was refreshing to see all of the waves we got from the passing cars, too.

I wish Craig and I could have stuck around for lunch, but I've got family in town and some ribeyes to grill.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/IMG_4532_jpg-1259177.JPG

No blisters, but I definitely should have done some kind of post-ruck stretching.

Tomorrow, I'm rucking across the Big Four Bridge.  It ain't nearly as long of a trek, but should still be a good time.
View Quote
Thanks for coming out. I think my main problem was is I need to train properly for this. My body wasn’t ready. However you guys were amazing. I really enjoyed meeting all of you. I’m hoping next turn out is just as good.

Damon_23 will throw down the next dates on when we’re going to do this, but I was thinking either the 29th at the end of this month, or the 14th of March. I believe we need to do 3 hikes in 90 days.

I believe a few of us wanted to retry this coarse again and improve on it, and then change up the venue with possibly more incline. This is a good test coarse, imo.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them. Amazing day guys!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them. Amazing day guys!
View Quote
There’s a ruck near Lexington on 07MAR.  I’d love it if I could get the 2nd weighted / scored one at the end of this month and then knock out #3 one week later.

Get some 2 gallon Ziploc bags from Target or Walmart and fill them with patio paver sand from Home Depot or Lowe’s. Once the scale says 10 pounds, mash all the air out and zip it closed. Wrap the whole thing in copious amounts of duct tape and make it look like a kilo of cocaine. If you keep it flat enough to be under 4 inches thick, it’ll fit in most laptop sleeves inside backpacks. Make multiple 10 pound sand bags so you can scale up and down the weight of your ruck with ease.

Get a 6x9x4 inch yoga block from amazon. Maybe get two of them. Put those in the very bottom of your ruck so the weight is closer to the top.

Tighten down the cinch straps on the sides of your pack. Doing this will help keep the weight from shifting and end up sagging like a beer belly in your ruck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
@damon_23 I noticed the picture you took I was easily the smallest person in the group.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There’s a ruck near Lexington on 07MAR.  I’d love it if I could get the 2nd weighted / scored one at the end of this month and then knock out #3 one week later.

Get some 2 gallon Ziploc bags from Target or Walmart and fill them with patio paver sand from Home Depot or Lowe’s. Once the scale says 10 pounds, mash all the air out and zip it closed. Wrap the whole thing in copious amounts of duct tape and make it look like a kilo of cocaine. If you keep it flat enough to be under 4 inches thick, it’ll fit in most laptop sleeves inside backpacks. Make multiple 10 pound sand bags so you can scale up and down the weight of your ruck with ease.

Get a 6x9x4 inch yoga block from amazon. Maybe get two of them. Put those in the very bottom of your ruck so the weight is closer to the top.

Tighten down the cinch straps on the sides of your pack. Doing this will help keep the weight from shifting and end up sagging like a beer belly in your ruck.
View Quote
I think it was more due to my lack of cardio in recent years. I’ve done a lot of weight lifting but super little cardio and it showed. I tried doing something similar to what you advise at a 2% elevation rise but I didn’t think it would be wise to do so now. I’m disappointed I didn’t but with this big ass blister I have on my foot carrying just 38lbs I’m glad I didn’t. I’ll be ready next time. I just need a month.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think it was more due to my lack of cardio in recent years. I’ve done a lot of weight lifting but super little cardio and it showed. I tried doing something similar to what you advise at a 2% elevation rise but I didn’t think it would be wise to do so now. I’m disappointed I didn’t but with this big ass blister I have on my foot carrying just 38lbs I’m glad I didn’t. I’ll be ready next time. I just need a month.
View Quote
I think the formula is: for every 5 pounds of weight, your walk time should increase by about 30 seconds per mile. Use that as a guide.

So if you can walk a mile in 17 minutes with 35 pounds, then add 5 more and it’ll probably be 17:30. Keep that new weight until you can get your time down to 17 minutes again. Once there, add another 5 pounds and start the whole process over again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
@whiskersthecat : I’m one of the young, lesser on forums guys. Hope to get more active in the group chats. Stoked to have gotten to ruck with so many like minded this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@whiskersthecat : I’m one of the young, lesser on forums guys. Hope to get more active in the group chats. Stoked to have gotten to ruck with so many like minded this weekend.
View Quote
I'm glad you had a good time. I don't mean shit, connect with guys in Indiana, those are gonna be your ruck buddies unless you like airfare lol.

But yeah, it's really good fitness. So run, ruck, carry heavy things and do a service rifle match.

If you beat me I'll buy you a membership. I'm not God's gift to shooting either.

Do American things and you'll be a happy American
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm glad you had a good time. I don't mean shit, connect with guys in Indiana, those are gonna be your ruck buddies unless you like airfare lol.

But yeah, it's really good fitness. So run, ruck, carry heavy things and do a service rifle match.

If you beat me I'll buy you a membership. I'm not God's gift to shooting either.

Do American things and you'll be a happy American
View Quote
Murica
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Dang I just saw this! Love about a half hour East of Scottsburg!!!

@ban-hater
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dang I just saw this! Love about a half hour East of Scottsburg!!!

@ban-hater
View Quote
@fordtough25
@ban-hater

Sorry you missed our first hike. We have another already scheduled for 2/29.
Details here

Hope to see ya there
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is done.

I’m happy to report that we had 17 dedicated souls show up for our first event. 16 men and 1 lady.
16 finished the 6 miles in under 2 hours.
Looks like we had 11 make the 45lb weight standard, and 3 made the provisional standard of 25+lb (for all 6 miles, btw).

Well done by all participants.

More info and hopefully a few AARs to come.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113101/80E38F31-9B47-4418-9FD1-D1237FBFAED1_jpe-1258936.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113101/57DAC401-9046-48BA-9089-8D634B0140AC_jpe-1258937.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113101/4ADEC53D-066E-4E05-9FEA-78CBB2F6A7A9_png-1258938.JPG

Edited to correct numbers of hikers carrying 45#
View Quote
Are there any objections to my using the first picture in this post for the Battle Buddies website?

@Damon_23
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are there any objections to my using the first picture in this post for the Battle Buddies website?

@Damon_23
View Quote
@Ben

No objections at all. My photo, and it does not show faces.
Feel free to use for the BB website.

Thanks for checking
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys, Meier near me had some merino wool socks on clearance in the outdoors section 2 pair for 3.75. Don’t know what you’re paying where, but figured I’d let y’all know
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guys, Meier near me had some merino wool socks on clearance in the outdoors section 2 pair for 3.75. Don’t know what you’re paying where, but figured I’d let y’all know
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check our local Meier. Can’t have enough comfy socks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Need to check how much merino is in them. I think what I read says 80% is about what you want for hiking.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top