Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2022 7:26:33 PM EDT
Im getting ready to make a test run with my Taco ,roof top tent ,solar generator solar panels and fridge to South Myrtle Beach. Im looking to camp out somewhere around the area in South Myrtle Beach. This is a new way of camping for me roof top tent etc I have never camped this way in my life. Although I did lots of camping in my younger days with army surplus stuff I feel totally outdated and almost overwhelmed  by the camping technology today.  At 68 I feel a need to give this a try. Please commence with the comedy and yeah I know  "we are already full "

Im actually looking at real-estate in the Market Common
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you want to be somewhere between Springmaid and Huntington Beach state park.

I remember when Market Common was just a creepy abandoned AFB.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like you want to be somewhere between Springmaid and Huntington Beach state park.

View Quote

Thats a 10-4 look at Market Common now beautiful homes and a nice town to walk to.   I just hope it didn't go woke thats where i'm planing on buying a home.  You know happy wife and all the shit that goes with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Market Common kind of reminds me of The Truman Show, the way it’s all self contained.

Just be prepared, it’s nonstop people. But, the happy wife part is important.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Market commons is also by the airport. You will hear even more flights in the future. Two nights ago I watched a C-17 doing touch and go's at the airport at 1 am.

Myrtle Beach State Park is an option. The KOA off of 5 Ave. South is another option if you don't mind gunfire.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The flight line from MB airport is right over M B state park, Try a little further south at Lakewood or Ocean Lakes campgrounds. Or, go just south of Murrells Inlet and there is camping at Huntington Beach state park. If you are not looking to be right on the beach, there is Cypress Campground nearby in Socastee, SC. There's a KOA in Myrtle Beach at 5th Ave south. Apache campground may be further north than you wanted.

Of course, get reservations first.

HTH
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Forget about Huntington. It's unobtanium. But awesome.

The State Parks are nice, camping ain't cheap no more. Unless you go rustic, you have water, power, wifi to some degree. And cell service. Most campers are very well behaved. And you're close to civilization. At least the State Parks are nice and quiet from 10PM.

Bring bug spray. SC park sites now include a handy checklist for first time campers. Preparation is the difference between a great. experience, and a sucky experience. 2/3 of the 'campers' these days are cruising around in quarter million dollar RVs. Sorry, that's not camping.

At your age, air mattresses are your friend. Depending on when you come, you can't have too much ice.

Plan your meals. Are you going out, or are you camp cooking?

Oh, MB State Park, most sites are smallish. Get something close to the bathhouse, without being next to the bathhouse. (The airport shouldn't keep you up at night).

Having said that, it's a blast. We used to camp at Ponderosa, Pirateland.

And if you vote Democrat, don't move here.

Edit: Real MB South is diverse and vibrant on the weekends, after dark. Anything around the Family Magic Kingdom (Big Roller Coaster) or whatever it's name is now, is subject to drama. There are no camping areas around there, but during the weekend, that is not where you want to visit. Shootings are not uncommon during the summer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember when the creepy abandoned AFB was an active AFB with A-10s
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Huntington Beach State Park > Myrtle Beach State Park and Brookgreen Gardens is right on the other side of Hwy 17. Definitely worth a visit and they are embarking on a big expansion and overhaul.

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Well there is no turning back now we bought a new home under construction in Market Common on Thursday. Should be ready to move in August 1st . All I can say is FUCK YOU NEW YORK !!

Thanks for all the input looking forward to making some new friends.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on the escape from NY.  Now come back late August and report back on humidity kicking your ass.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, and be sure to come early for bike week.

….trust me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Congrats on the escape from NY.  Now come back late August and report back on humidity kicking your ass.
View Quote

Thanks we can't wait to get out of New York . I guess I will report back as soon as we move into our new home in the Market Common.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh, and be sure to come early for bike week.

….trust me.
View Quote

Oh hell no !
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Met a couple last night from Buffalo area that just relocated to my area on the lake.  Gave them a big southern welcome, but I hope like hell you left your NY ways up there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Met a couple last night from Buffalo area that just relocated to my area on the lake.  Gave them a big southern welcome, but I hope like hell you left your NY ways up there.
View Quote

Never had New York ways just held down by the job. Finally freedom awaits me and my family. Fuck NY
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought in Belle Harbor at the Market Common the wife likes it so there is where we landed .  Any suggestion or recommendations ?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought in Belle Harbor at the Market Common the wife likes it so there is where we landed .  Any suggestion or recommendations ?
View Quote

Yes.

Avoid going anywhere during any of the bike weeks due to traffic.  Stock up on groceries and supplies.

Avoid going anywhere on weekends during the summer due to traffic.  Weekends are really bad due to vacationers (Like me ) leaving on Saturday morning and the new flock coming in late morning.  There are some Sunday rentals, but not nearly as bad.

During Christmas, go see the lights at Brookgreen Gardens, The Calvin Gilmore Christmas Show at The Carolina Opry.  Also a good show at the Alabama Theatre.  

This summer is the final Mustang Week ever at MB.  If you’re feeling froggy, walk the sidewalks and take your chances!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, when you get settled, go at at the Conch Cafe on the beach in Garden City, then next night eat at the Gulf Stream Cafe on the south peninsula of Garden City Beach. Then later start trying places in Murrell's Inlet. Also a nice side trip is to make a day trip up to Southport, NC and to the Battleship NC at Wilmington, NC.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember when the creepy abandoned AFB was an active AFB with A-10s
View Quote

We were playing par 3 golf when an A-10 screamed over the golf course at tree top level.  I thought he was going to strafe us.  I almost hugged the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top