Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2018 4:33:42 PM EDT
The law is BULLSHIT.

Out in the garage sits a coffee can into which I dump spent primers. If I want to take them to a recycling center I must first go to the sheriff's office and get a transport permit (background check). IOW I have to ask the government for permission to transport that which is already mine.

The average wait at the commercial recycling center which will accept them is around an hour and a half. They no longer pay cash they cut a check. . I don't need the money I just don't think brass should be tossed in the trash and end up in the landfill.

Last week I went to the recycling center, cut past everyone in line, took the can inside and told them just to take them I don't want any money for them and they refused...because I didn't have a transport permit.

So the can sits in garage and gets more and more full.

Yeah, I know: csb
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Place loose brass on bumper of car. Drive to Walmart.

Problem solved.

Problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, in Lexington County, our various dumpster /recycling centers scattered around the county have a dedicated metals recycling center, and personal whose only concern is the right waste goes in the right can or bin. Sumter County doesn't have the same situation. Where does rural Sumter county legally dump there trash? Yea, illegally the dump it by the side of the road or on someone's lot or property.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
How much is it for the transport permit?

I have a lot of brass, including primer that I intended to take to Sumter.

If it isn't worth it, I will just toss them.

I am assuming it is for the primers only and not the actual brass cases. I have about 2.5 gallons of old damaged brass to recycle.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I need to point out my point above was a joke. I now live in an area where people dump stuff they can’t throw away at the proper dump, like old television sets, and it pisses me off. Great job with that rule about old TVs.

I only say the thing about the brass cause it’s actually what happened to me one time. I was shooting and picked up my spent 9mm brass. I set it on the back bumper to do something else and forgot about it (45-50 pieces) then drove off about an hour later. Coming home i spotted pieces in an intersection where I had turned and remembered what I had done. Looked like a good sized gun fight had taken place out in Chapin.

It did make me feel a bit better because I heard noises and couldn’t figure out where they were coming from. I thought something was wrong with my old suburban. No. Just spent pistol brass falling off the bumper. I got a lot of them back, though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much is it for the transport permit?

I have a lot of brass, including primer that I intended to take to Sumter.

If it isn't worth it, I will just toss them.

I am assuming it is for the primers only and not the actual brass cases. I have about 2.5 gallons of old damaged brass to recycle.
View Quote
I am not aware of any cost re: transport permit. I just think it's bullshit.

The next time I take stuff to the county recycling center I'm just going to put them in a container marked "SCRAP Brass", toss them in the metals bin and the hell with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, if you could just shoot scrap metal thieves, this would have never been an issue.

It took me about 5 minutes to get a 2 year permit in Berkeley Co. Yeah, it's a little bit of a PITA, but until they start selling tags for shitheads, I'll deal with it.

FWIW, I probably have at least a 55 gal drum full of brass, but I'm holding out for the next "panic."
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup took a 5 gallon bucket to b&d. Had to go get the free permit, no background check. Got a check for 75$ from the scrap yard.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Stupid law gets expected response - I throw mine in the garbage. (I ate a salad yesterday)
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait, you aren't supposed to just throw them in the trash?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If any of you guys are in Horry County, I'll help you get rid of some brass this weekend.  

I'm actually building up a decent amount of scrap to take but I'm in NC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top