Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 10:14:20 AM EDT
For those of you casting your own bullets, are you buying lead from a supplier such as rotometals, or collecting it from sources (range lead, tire weights, etc) that are basically free, but doing your own cleanup?

If I want to start casting and can't find a source of "free" lead, what is a good price (per pound) for lead, and in what form would it arrive?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I hit up several old school independent tire  shops for old lead wheel weights, old school family owned plumbing stores for lead (used to be used to seal cast iron pipes) and lead pipe.  Both shoved in the corner of a dusty building where it had not been touched for decades.  Look for places that Fred Sanford would be a home in. I have added to that with duck decoy weights, lead sinkers, etc. from yard sales.  I could not give you a price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the new wheel weights are made from zinc or steel so careful with those.
If you are near a boat yard hit them up also they keels are cast lead usually, old pipes and roof flashing is another source of lead.
Dont use batteries for your lead source but you can use battery terminals or the lugs on top of batteries, the plates if melted will give off all kinds of nasty fumes.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're a member of a club, go ask the president if they don't mind you doing some berm cleanup.

I built a sifting setup and use it to dig the berms of range lead. I can easily get 4-5 5 gallon buckets worth of range scrap per trip.

Also fulfills part of me who wants to help the club out, but can't ever make their "range cleanup" days.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No shortage of lead in Fl.
Cheap lead, now thats another thing.
You can get lead by the ton by looking on facebook marketplace (yeah I know) and look for boat keels.
Price is usuly around $1 a pound and is usuly over 500 lb blocks There is a 7000 lb block near me, but I cant justify all that.

NOI
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Check on castboolits.com.
lead
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#6]
just ask a local gun club for the spent lead.  somebody will let you get some, whats your location?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top