Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2020 9:35:51 PM EDT
This is just the beginning of the death of the 'buffet' as we know it.

When I was stationed in San Diego in the early 80's I used to eat there and enjoyed it immensely. As I recall it was the official training table for a number of US Olympic teams prior to the 1984 games in L.A.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Buffets have been in big trouble around here ever since I went on my diet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buffets have been in big trouble around here ever since I went on my diet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
So many people are absolute slobs, disgustingly so, it is a wonder anyone actually eats at buffets and salad bars.

That characterization applies to the patrons and the workers.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife and I went to a Sweet Tomatoes in Dallas(closed about 5 years ago), then Souplantation in San Diego last year. Didnt know they were related, other than both suck. Souplantation's deal of standing in line at the salad bar until a table is ready is beyond stupid.

Shitty business model.
Sucks that so many are out of jobs, but good riddance to the company
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wife and I went to a Sweet Tomatoes in Dallas(closed about 5 years ago), then Souplantation in San Diego last year. Didnt know they were related, other than both suck. Souplantation's deal of standing in line at the salad bar until a table is ready is beyond stupid.

Shitty business model.
Sucks that so many are out of jobs, but good riddance to the company
View Quote

Unfortunately (or fortunately) chain restaurants have their life cycles and from your description it would appear that death was imminent. My experiences are obviously different than yours but I'm talking 1982-83. That's a lot of water under the bridge. Had I been made to wait for seating I wouldn't have gone back.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) chain restaurants have their life cycles and from your description it would appear that death was imminent. My experiences are obviously different than yours but I'm talking 1982-83. That's a lot of water under the bridge. Had I been made to wait for seating I wouldn't have gone back.
View Quote

yeah, I'm sure things change in 35 years.  We live about 2 miles from the one we went to, at 805 and Palm.  We were hoping it'd be similar to Jason's deli.  The salad bar was well stocked and varied, but hard to get past the standing there with a tray with plate of salad on it, cafeteria style, for 10-15 minutes waiting for a table.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't done a lot of buffets recently. Sizzler some.  It's not real good for me, I tend to make less than good choices. Several around here used to hold lines at the entrance until there were seats available.  I enjoyed Souplantation now and then and especially the hot items, soups, pastas, etc.  I think the cafeteria style where one is served may allow for the buffets sort of to continue but self serve may be out of the question for a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top