Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2021 5:02:09 PM EDT
Hey guys, once again wife and I are re-locating, after looking around a fair bit we might try Tennessee, I have kinfolk in VA and wife has kin in Kentucky so it would be a lot closer to them. As a true old school Texan, I have never forgotten that without Tennesseeans there would be no Texas, and literally every person i've ever met from TN was kind and laid back, so i'm kinda excited about finally getting out that way as I have never even been able to visit.

Any advice on good areas? I work online so employment is not an issue for me, wife is a 30 year surgical technician and basically with that level of experience and shortages in medical personnel just about everywhere, the minute she gets done applying for a job online she gets a phone call from an excited recruiter or HR person wanting to know when she can get there, lol.  She'd like to be in a somewhat larger hospital as she prefers places with a night shift which she likes working better than days.

We want to buy a small basically unimproved plot and build ourselves, probably start with a shome, but not knowing the area will probably look to rent short term first to get the lay of the land before buying.

Just hoping to get up to speed here about things, we'll be moving probably around late July, any advice VERY appreciated (and will be rewarded with beer if we make it there and see you!)

Thanks,

~Jack
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure there’s good areas, but you really need to narrow it down a bit. East, middle or west TN?

Be aware, as is the rest of the country, home/land prices are crazy. As is building costs.

Budget?

School age kids?

Medical care close needed?

High speed internet needed?

Etc, etc.

Probably the best I can offer is to come here and have boots on the ground.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
To add to Rebel's post, do you outdoor: shoot matches, shoot long range, camp, mtn bike, kayak, hike, off road, hunt, fish, ATV, etc?

Lots of shooting sports all over TN, but being in west TN, many of those hobbies are tough to participate. Hunting can be good, but big lake fishing can be tough. TN river, Reelfoot and LBL are great, but outdoors hobbies in west TN can be frustrating.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Any advice on good areas?
View Quote

Memphis would be my first spot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore anything this guy says, because it’s either a poor attempt at humor  or outdated info.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ignore anything this guy says, because it’s either a poor attempt at humor  or outdated info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously humor. Memphis hasn’t been a good area during the life of the grandparents of anyone here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Is spouse a certified surgical technologist?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
texans are welecome!

my advice is to look at the tier 2 cities.   i.e. NOT nashville, chattanooga or knoxville, but rather cookeville, crossville, cleveland, johnson city, maryville, oak ridge, etc.   don't buy in the city, but be commuting distance for your wife from a hospital in those cities.

if you draw a triangle between nashville knoville and chattanooga, i like the areas inside there, and i like the areas along the NC border adjacent to cherokee national forest and great smokey mountain national park.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
texans are welecome!

my advice is to look at the tier 2 cities.   i.e. NOT nashville, chattanooga or knoxville, but rather cookeville, crossville, cleveland, johnson city, maryville, oak ridge, etc.   don't buy in the city, but be commuting distance for your wife from a hospital in those cities.

if you draw a triangle between nashville knoville and chattanooga, i like the areas inside there, and i like the areas along the NC border adjacent to cherokee national forest and great smokey mountain national park.

View Quote

Be aware that land adjacent to the Great Smoky Mountains NP has gotten crazy stupid expensive especially in Sevier and Blount counties. And in Sevier county the traffic is absolutely insane more or less year round now. Look down closer to the South Cherokee NF for less expensive land but also more remote.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The Clarksville area is nice.

We’re close to Ft Campbell Kentucky. (Most of Ft Campbell is in Tennessee. The post office is in Kentucky)

Ft Campbell has a large hospital.

Clarksville has a large hospital. Driving to Nashville to Vanderbilt isn’t out of the question. There is relatively cheap land in the surrounding counties. But it’s a growing area.

Dickson is also a good area. Smaller hospital though. But again driving to Nashville is doable.

Good luck finding something you both like.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, started right out of college little over 30 years ago, has done every kind of surgery imaginable including crazy things I didn't even know were possible, even done robotic surgery. Metric s**t-ton of ortho in recent years, total joint replacements for older folks and such, currently chilling in the OB though, doing C-sections and small repair surgery and birthin' babies.

Thanks to all for the replies, we really appreciate it guys!

And yes to the fellow that asked if we do outdoor, most  definitely we do, wife was talking to a good friend in SC last night and her friend got all excited that she would see her again and immediately asked if we wanted to do a rafting trip with them later in the summer, lol, that's a good friend there, already planning our itinerary when we arrive. We want to hunt some, fish, shoot, raise a few critters and have a giant garden.

We definitely want to be inna woods, the more rural we can be the better, just need to be within 20 minutes of wherever she winds up working, we are in our early 50's and old farm folk, and that's the life we want to get back to, a place where the only political discussion takes place at the Dairy Queen between a table full of old farmers like my Grandaddy used to do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, started right out of college little over 30 years ago, has done every kind of surgery imaginable including crazy things I didn't even know were possible, even done robotic surgery. Metric s**t-ton of ortho in recent years, total joint replacements for older folks and such, currently chilling in the OB though, doing C-sections and small repair surgery and birthin' babies.

And yes to the fellow that asked if we do outdoor, most  definitely we do, wife was talking to a good friend in SC last night and her friend got all excited that she would see her again and immediately asked if we wanted to do a rafting trip with them later in the summer, lol, that's a good friend there, already planning our itinerary when we arrive. We want to hunt some, fish, shoot, raise a few critters and have a giant garden.

We definitely want to be inna woods, the more rural we can be the better, just need to be within 20 minutes of wherever she winds up working, we are in our early 50's and old farm folk, and that's the life we want to get back to, a place where the only political discussion takes place at the Dairy Queen between a table full of old farmers like my Grandaddy used to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say you need to be within 20 minutes of where your wife would likely be working. I’m assuming that would be a hospital or surgical facility, probably in a decent size city? *If* that’s the case, good luck finding what you’re describing within 20 minutes of that. Plus factor in the traffic in and around most decent size cities, does the 20 minutes include or exclude that? Something like what you're describing won't be any less than a small fortune, IMHO. The real estate market is at a boiling point here in east TN and I would guess just about everywhere else right now. You’ve got your work cut out for you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't overlook the burbs outside the Memphis area(Collierville, Piperton, Eads).  Very chill, people are nice, areas are very clean and well patrolled by police.

Reason I say is you can get a lot more bang for your buck when it comes to land/building compared to Nashville or the other major TN cities.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in TN and am also looking.

Grew up in Chattanooga, as I understand it they have the fastest internet in the country.  
Chatt was selected as some kind of Google Fiber city, whatever that means.

Getting from one side of Chattanooga to the other is 30 min.
Look at surrounding 'burbs, like Signal Mountain.
They have their own little community, but are generally welcoming.

Also, check out south of Nashville, Spring Hill, Chapel Hill, College Grove, you'll see the 'burbs on the map.

They're far enough away from the 'big city', but can get there in <25 min

To overgeneralize, West TN is flat and shitty (Memphis) to hilly to mountainous (East) and gorgeous as you travel east toward and past the Smokies.

But there are excellent pockets of awesome little towns that look straight out of the 50's

Really depends on budget and how interactive you to be with a larger city.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Lots of opportunities and nice land in East TN. Any of the counties surrounding Knox County would be a good choice. Property prices  fluctuate greatly from area to area. Avoid city of Oak Ridge, lots of libs and rich and vibrant.

Small towns surrounding are gtg, Kingston, Norris, Andersonville are all laid back with short commutes to Knoxville for shopping and eating out. Lots of parks and WMAs within driving distance. I work in Oak RIdge at the plants and commute about 35min each way. I grew up (my 1st 18 years) with what is now Windrock ATV park as my backyard. Tons of out of state Yankees come down 75 each weekend to Norris lake and to ride the trails.

Make sure you check about high speed internet service due to your job, lots of areas still don’t have cable due to the terrain. A half mile down the road from me and your only option for tv and internet is satelite, some people visiting their lake houses on Norris lake have to drive into my subdivision to get a cell signal to make calls.

We are getting an influx of commie state refugees but not at a level like TX so we are not at risk of turning purple or blue anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You say you need to be within 20 minutes of where your wife would likely be working. I’m assuming that would be a hospital or surgical facility, probably in a decent size city? *If* that’s the case, good luck finding what you’re describing within 20 minutes of that. Plus factor in the traffic in and around most decent size cities, does the 20 minutes include or exclude that? Something like what you're describing won't be any less than a small fortune, IMHO. The real estate market is at a boiling point here in east TN and I would guess just about everywhere else right now. You’ve got your work cut out for you.
View Quote

May require looking at smaller cities, where they have one hospital large enough for a surgical facility, then look in the direction that is the quickest path out of town.

And as others have pointed out, high speed internet can be it's own challenge, in some areas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like southern middle TN.

It's growing like crazy, though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Update: Wife had her first interview over the phone today, and they offered her the job right then and there, looks like we may be moving to the Gallatin area!

Looking for rental property now. Looks like there's some pretty nice places we can afford.

Thanks so much for all the advice guys, and Mrs. Dragynn thanks you as well, she says to tell ya that once we are settled any and all of y'all are invited over for beer and bar-bee-cue (which is the currency of friendship in the farm town I was raised in) anytime!

Man, gonna be so nice to live some place again where the people don't talk funny.

Thanks again and see ya in a couple months,

~Jack & Shana
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Gallatin is a great area as long as you’re not trying to get into downtown Nashville in the mornings.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Update: Wife had her first interview over the phone today, and they offered her the job right then and there, looks like we may be moving to the Gallatin area!
View Quote

Sumner Co is a good area for it to be around Nashville. I would look in White House for property were it me.

Good luck to your family!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Where in Kentucky do you have kin? If they are in East KY, and her kin is in Virginia,  maybe look somewhere around Tri Cities. Quite a bit of unimproved lots there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Having a hard time finding rental property around Gallatin that isn't an apartment or duplex and isn't ungodly expensive. May have to buy an RV, any good places out there to boondock an RV?

On the bright side, CEO of hospital signed off on a $5K recruitment bonus, that'll way more than cover our moving expenses.

@50cal: Wife's kin live in Elizabethtown, so I think she said they're only about 80 miles or so from the Gallatin area, they're excited we're coming, good folks, be great to see them again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
May have to buy an RV, any good places out there to boondock an RV?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Good luck on that one too. RV’s, campers, etc. are also in very short supply and prices are high as well. Increased demand and short supply.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Went thru Chattanooga this afternoon. Some camper place in Georgia right before the state line had a huge lot full of campers. Told the wife I heard campers were hard to find. That place had plenty.  No clue on the prices.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Still having a hard time finding a decent rental, may seriously have to do an RV for a while...been wanting one anyway though.

If anybody knows somebody and helps us find a place, i'll happily pay a bounty, maybe even some tasty AR or AK parts.

We can do a grand a month easily if we need to, but would sure like to get in a little cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We can do a grand a month easily if we need to, but would sure like to get in a little cheaper than that.
View Quote

Good luck with that

You’re either going to be in a dump or the hood, or both. Maybe way out in the country a grand will get you something, but you are seriously going to have to bump your budget to get anything decent and in a good area.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good luck with that

You’re either going to be in a dump or the hood, or both. Maybe way out in the country a grand will get you something, but you are seriously going to have to bump your budget to get anything decent and in a good area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that

No shit, this isn't Mayberry. A thousand a month will be an hour away from Nashville at the very least.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No shit, this isn't Mayberry. A thousand a month will be an hour away from Nashville at the very least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that

A guy at work lives about halfway between Lebanon and Mt Juliet, and pays a thousand a month. ...for a second floor apartment.  I think it's a one bedroom, since he lives alone, but I'm not certain about that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#28]
North West TN here. I like it, born here. You can check out West TN Healthcare at with.org.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good luck with that

View Quote

Just found a 3 bedroom place in the country, 13 minutes away from the hospital she'll be working at in Gallatin for a grand a month, talking to them now but it's got a huge lawn to mow and I despise lawns, if it were mine i'd rip it all up and make it a garden.

You'd be surprised at how many people are excited and willing to come down on price when they find out we're not one of the poors begging for section8, when they hear i'm willing to pay for 6 months up front they get real happy at the thought of 6 grand in hand as opposed to praying we'll actually pay...this may not be as hard as I thought, put an ad out there explaining these things and today my inbox is full of replies from landlords who've been fucked bad by the covid eviction moratorium.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

We never had any intention of living or working in Nashville, you guys warned us about that!

She'll be working in Gallatin, I think it's called Sumner regional hospital or some such, they were very happy to get her, they've been having to use nothing but travelers and that gets expensive.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We never had any intention of living or working in Nashville, you guys warned us about that!

She'll be working in Gallatin, I think it's called Sumner regional hospital or some such, they were very happy to get her, they've been having to use nothing but travelers and that gets expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, Gallatin is a nice, weird town. Beretta USA’s factory is there, I have a few friends who live in the area, and you can get out in the country from there easily.

Good choice and a lucky break on finding a house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top