Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2021 6:44:05 PM EDT
So I guess starting tomorrow cappuccino forest (yes I know that’s not how it’s spelled LOL) is closed.

I’m not looking to talk about whether it’s ridiculous or prudent, I’m looking for options.

We were going to go camping at our usual spot on Heart Prarie road but that’s out now. So is there any other spots up north that has dispersed camping?

We are looking and it looks like our options are big bear  in California...... which, I definitely don’t want to do. No guns plus you have to pay for a spot even though it’s dispersed camping.

Edit, in the twenty minutes since I decided to type this spots around big bear are filled up. So it seems people in AZ are scrambling just like me.

Are there any other options?  It has to be up in elevation. My wife can’t tolerate the heat. And it has to be dispersed. I don’t want to be around other people.

I really don’t want to go to CA. I won’t even be able to bring a gun. Wtf.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Kaibab, Coconino, and Apache-Sitgreaves are all closed or closing tomorrow. Might try SE AZ like Chiricahuas or Mt. Graham. They are in the Coronado National Forest. No Campfires are allowed there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What about Colorado or New Mexico?
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about Colorado or New Mexico?
View Quote

Still super hot. I’m sure there are camping sites that are high up on mountains that will be comfortable but they are kinda hard to find.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I second Mt Graham.

Love it up there, and you will be at 9000'+

Lots of spots for dispersed imho.

Just be aware the road up, while paved, is very windy.

ETA: its showing 62°F at the observatory up there right now.

ETA2: We usually camp at Riggs Flat Campground.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kaibab, Coconino, and Apache-Sitgreaves are all closed or closing tomorrow. Might try SE AZ like Chiricahuas or Mt. Graham. They are in the Coronado National Forest. No Campfires are allowed there.
View Quote

That might be an option. Hopefully mt graham is high enough to get relief from the heat and had dispersed camping.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I second Mt Graham.

Love it up there, and you will be at 9000'+

Lots of spots for dispersed imho.

Just be aware the road up, while paved, is very windy.
View Quote

Ok. Awesome.  I’ll Google it now
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are they closing the forests?  Preventative step to avoid fires or because of active fires already burning?
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why are they closing the forests?  Preventative step to avoid fires or because of active fires already burning?
View Quote

Yeah, they usually do a complete shutdown of Tonto and other forests up north until the first big monsoon storm or two dumps some decent rain in July.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Just stay home. Free up the highways for people that need to evac and first responders.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok. Awesome.  I’ll Google it now
View Quote

Someone already mentioned no fires, the Stage II restrictions also includes no shooting and no smoking.  Check for conditions of I10 at Texas Canyon.  It is currently closed due to the Walnut fire.  I think they are doing back burns so it may open back up soon.

The top of Mt Graham is very nice and much cooler.  There are some good hiking trails and views are amazing.  It also gets very busy on the weekends.  There is good dispersed camping.  IM me if you want specifics.  Good sites usually get taken early on Saturdays.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
3 days before the annual Ham Radio club camp out (called "ARRL Field Day" search for it on youtube) when every radio club in North America goes camping and spends 24 hours contacting each other.... Arizona clubs all go to the high country national forests.... right now they're all trading emails lamenting that they have to cancel!

Poole
.- .- ....- --.-
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruidoso, NM

Today, 85F is the high, 67F is the low

511 miles from Phoenix

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. So we just ended up going to Big Bear lake in CA. I never did the research myself and thought I couldn’t bring any gun to CA. Turns out you can, and I did.

I really really wish libs didn’t own CA. I’d move to northern CA in a second.

I’ll definitely check out MT Graham though. It looks awesome.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Navajo lake in NW NM.

Nice and cool the other day.  caught a boatload of trout, Kokanee Salmon, large mouth bass and more perch than you could shake a stick at.

Not sure of the elevation, but it is nice in the Summer and colder than hell during the Salmon snagging season.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top