Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2018 1:02:19 AM EDT
I read the laws by via gun nut but noticed they were a few years old.

I was asking in WV about vacation properties and get their feedback.

Now, my kids are homeschooled and they are learning about NH and what I am seeing, even today, NH is a no nonsense about important matters type state and people. I like that.

So, question about living there. Are the gun laws moving more free or more over bearing?
What is not allowed?
Is it expensive to own land and be able to have a vacation property totally off grid?

Just curious because I have not heard much about the state. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
constitutional carry has passed
switchblades and out the front knives are ok
you can still ask and get a CCL here for 10$ once a resident  Best thing since reciprocity

places that are no go  courts and Post offices  this includes their parking lots

School zones of course but if you live in one and or are driving thru one, Absolutely No fuks are given.

thats all I recall at the moment
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
As for getting free or tighter I would say we need more conservatives here as its gonna be a bumpy ride the next 2 to 4 years.

Fucking Dems won near everything Ok it feels like they did..

As for land it is what it is,, Sellers market if you ask me

Property taxes here blow as that's what we use to find schooling.

However we have no sales tax and no income tax

so .. it sorta evens out

except for me whom had property had no kids so I was paying for other kids to go to school made me feel raped hard.  Sold that now I feel better though LOL
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
@Jarem08

NH is about as laxed as you can get as far as firearms go. Constitutional carry, NFA items are good to go (ful auto, SBR, supressors with Fed paperwork), no magazine limitations.
The only place you cannot carry is in a courthouse. All other areas are good to go for NH law, Schools and post offices/federal buildings fall under federal laws, not NH laws so local and state LE cannot enforce them that I'm aware of.

One of the only big restrictions is no loaded long guns inside a vehicle, which is a Fun & Games law.

NH laws(RSA's) are linked at the top of this section if you want to look through them.

Southern and seacoast NH are more expensive communities to live in typically and tend to lean more liberal/democrat.

Property taxes in NH are steep but they're tied into the community/area you live in. Cities/towns with more services and "better" school districts are more expensive than rural areas. No income tax or sales tax (except for room and board and meals).

No seat belt or helmet laws (over 18)

NH is great because if you want to go to Boston (or even NYC) or Portland they're not far away and there's rail service along the seacoast. Mountains aren't far if you're into hiking and outdoor type activities.

Any more questions just ask.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the info.

So, is the state ran solidly blue or is it red with blue leadership?

As far as taxes go, I would have to find out about how much bit what I am looking for is a place to really get away and unhook.

I am on call 24/7/365. I love what I do but when it is time for vacation, I want to just disappear.

I did find This but I am not sure if that is right outside of town or if I will have people on top of me.

I am not ready to buy. I also don't know if the land has wells or spring on it as I would need fresh water (totally off grid).
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Jarem08

NH is about as laxed as you can get as far as firearms go. Constitutional carry, NFA items are good to go (ful auto, SBR, supressors with Fed paperwork), no magazine limitations.
The only place you cannot carry is in a courthouse. All other areas are good to go for NH law, Schools and post offices/federal buildings fall under federal laws, not NH laws so local and state LE cannot enforce them that I'm aware of.

One of the only big restrictions is no loaded long guns inside a vehicle, which is a Fun & Games law.

NH laws(RSA's) are linked at the top of this section if you want to look through them.

Southern and seacoast NH are more expensive communities to live in typically and tend to lean more liberal/democrat.

Property taxes in NH are steep but they're tied into the community/area you live in. Cities/towns with more services and "better" school districts are more expensive than rural areas. No income tax or sales tax (except for room and board and meals).

No seat belt or helmet laws (over 18)

NH is great because if you want to go to Boston (or even NYC) or Portland they're not far away and there's rail service along the seacoast. Mountains aren't far if you're into hiking and outdoor type activities.

Any more questions just ask.
View Quote
This is good to know thanks!

I am not needing or wanting a lot of services. Just a small town grocer to get what I can't hunt. It would be strictly a vacation place right now. We homeschool so my kids are free in that regard.

I don't need public utilities. A generator to power a couple of things, a spring for fresh water would be optimal.

Right now I don't have internet except our phones. And we don't have TV.

A little property would be nice. Bit as much as I would love to help by voting, I don't think two week stints give me voting rights . Or does it?

I would like to be an hour from the nearest town but how realistic that is, I don't know.

I am sorry if these questions are ignorant. I just honestly never heard much or know much about NH.

I do like the laid back but straight forward type culture.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you for the info.

I did find This but I am not sure if that is right outside of town or if I will have people on top of me.

I am not ready to buy. I also don't know if the land has wells or spring on it as I would need fresh water (totally off grid).
View Quote
In my opinion you are looking in the right area for off grid, and away from it all. Columbia and further north is good. I am not familiar with that area of Columbia, so I don't know whether or not you are very close to neighbors or not. A good real estate guy to work with is Ray Davis Real Estate, he was the agent that had the property we bought 3 years ago in Clarksville. We are working on our own off grid get away. Taxes aren't too bad up that way especially if you have enough property to take advantage of the current use exemption. We started with an old camper, and built a small 12x16 bunkhouse with a loft, we added a 4' wall to the loft to make more useable space. We put a 50 watt solar panel and an old boat battery together to run 12V led RV lights, it works good for just lights. This year we had a friend who is a log cabin guy build our 18x24 log cabin, he dried it in and we are doing the finish work. We went with the same extra 4' of wall for the loft as we did on the bunkhouse. It will have 12V led lights a 12V solar Unique fridge, and a 12V marine water pump pumping from a holding tank that will be gravity fed from a spring, running off a 600 watt solar system.
The  folks in the neighborhood that don't have either a well or a spring use a water catchment system.
We have met most of the neighbors, and they all have a similar attitude of live n let live, and all have said if we ever need anything just ask.

The bunkhouse

And our cabin

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
that's like 30-45 minutes from me.

So something to keep in mind in Coos county.  We have a population of 30k people for the entire county and have tens of thousands of acres of do whatever you want land that have logging roads all through them.  That you can use for hunting, fishing, target shooting...whatever  Up here a lot of the land may be owned but it is by logging companies and they literally post signs saying something to the effect of logging trucks have right of way, pick up your trash, public always welcome.

Also you may want to look around the Dummer/Milan/Errol area

Coos county NH is pretty fucking sweet, thousands of miles of ATV trails, even more snowmobile trails, amazing hiking fishing, hunting.  It is an outdoorsmen's paradise.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the pictures and advice! This is great.

I know I am not ready to jump for property right now. I am needing to make sure I can actually afford it but the advice given here is phenomenal.

From what I have been reading the state is pretty awesome. Maybe one day I will have a place that is a little vacation hideaway!

Thanks again all for the help!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you for the pictures and advice! This is great.

I know I am not ready to jump for property right now. I am needing to make sure I can actually afford it but the advice given here is phenomenal.

From what I have been reading the state is pretty awesome. Maybe one day I will have a place that is a little vacation hideaway!

Thanks again all for the help!
View Quote
Oh and we have a 1000 yard range with steel plates under construction up here too if you don't want to just go to the woods
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh and we have a 1000 yard range with steel plates under construction up here too if you don't want to just go to the woods
View Quote
I wish I could see it!

The longest in my area is a little over 100.

I can travel to one but its out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top