Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2019 8:33:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what's in Socorro but if you have time I'd hop on I-25 at the south Socorro exit and go about 10 miles and get off at Hwy 380 East. Go about 2 or 3 miles to the small town of San Antonio. Look for the famous Owl Cafe on your left. Definitely good eats.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't stopped in Socorro in several years,  El Sombrero on the NE side of town used to have pretty dang good food.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey there. Welcome to Socorro.

If you’re looking to have some great lunch, El Sombrero is definitely a great place to stop. I know the new owners, they are on top of things. Place looks & feels better than it has in years. Their Carne Adovada is always on point.

For dinner, if you want to catch MNF & a few beers, Bodega lounge is where to go. They have a great bar, some pool tables, & great burgers.

If you’re looking for steak or prime rib. Jackson’s steakhouse is where to go. They have awesome food. The ribeyes are awesome, chicken fried steaks are amazing, the Asian zing tacos appetizer is the bomb, & the burgers are freakin’ great.

As for stuff to do after school. Well, it’s a pretty small town bro. We do have one movie theater, but it’s only open Thur-Sunday. & right now it’s showing Downtown Abby . We have a comic book shop if you’re into comics or graphic novels, & maybe want something new to read. It also host some Magic the Gatherings play if you’re into that stuff.

If you like the outdoors, you can drive South to the Bosque Del Apache. There are some birds there, but the snow geese haven’t shown up yet. The landscape is beautiful. I think it’s like $5-10 bucks to get in. It’s a long, curvy road that will take you around the river & marshes. You can get some pretty awesome pics if you’re into that kinda stuff. I’d suggesting going closer to dusk. Or if you can, right at Dawn, it’s majestic.

Hope that helped. Should need anything, questions, whatever, just tag me bro.

Edit: spelling.

Edit 2: theatre is now showing Adams Family. Just changed this morning.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Bosque Del Apache is worth the drive, seeing the cranes, turkeys, deer and other wildlife are possible.
Owl Bar and Cafe is a must do, green chile cheeseburger at the owl should be on everyone's bucket list.
VLA (Very Large Array) about 30 miles west of Socorro, they have a small visitors center that tells you what is going on.
Blakes Lotta Burger; Breakfast Burrito #1 with green chile.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bosque Del Apache is worth the drive, seeing the cranes, turkeys, deer and other wildlife are possible.
Owl Bar and Cafe is a must do, green chile cheeseburger at the owl should be on everyone's bucket list.
VLA (Very Large Array) about 30 miles west of Socorro, they have a small visitors center that tells you what is going on.
Blakes Lotta Burger; Breakfast Burrito #1 with green chile.
View Quote
Yes, if you go to BDA, definitely stop at Owl bar. Or Buckhorn Tavern.

For breakfast burritos, Sofia's burrito time is hands down the best in Socorro. Breakfast burrito with red chile & bacon & a side of red chile.

VLA is cool if you’re into space stuff. If not, meh. Seeing the dishes is cool, but it’s a long drive just to look at the dishes. But it’s cool to see them. It’s where they filmed Contact, so if you’ve seen that than it should look familiar.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, if you go to BDA, definitely stop at Owl bar. Or Buckhorn Tavern.

For breakfast burritos, Sofia's burrito time is hands down the best in Socorro. Breakfast burrito with red chile & bacon & a side of red chile.

VLA is cool if you’re into space stuff. If not, meh. Seeing the dishes is cool, but it’s a long drive just to look at the dishes. But it’s cool to see them. It’s where they filmed Contact, so if you’ve seen that than it should look familiar.
View Quote
Ben,

Where is Sofia's, I'm planning on passing thru Socorro Friday morning and need to check this out, but I will be having mine with green!
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ben,

Where is Sofia's, I'm planning on passing thru Socorro Friday morning and need to check this out, but I will be having mine with green!
View Quote
Get off on the first exit. Continue South to Bullock blvd. Hang a right & it'll be on the right little less than a block down. Right behind Little Caesar’s.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had the chili relleno burger at bodegas. Awesome.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#12]
my wife and I think the best diner style food is at the El Camino on the main drag.

we stop there every time we come through.

try the nacho grande, bet you can't finish it...

the soup of the day is always killer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I tried Sofia's breakfast burrito, bacon with green, they get your order to you very fast which makes me think that all the ingredients are pre made back in the kitchen awaiting assembly. My burrito could have been a little hotter (temperature hot), but the flavor was excellent and the green chile was on point. The Blakes burrito is made while you wait and the wait is upwards of 5 min when they are busy, but the finished product is worth waiting for. I have to give a slight nod to the Blakes burrito but to be honest both are the "real deal", I'm going to try Sofia's again maybe next time I will have enough time to do a sit down meal.

Thanks Ben for the tip on this restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tried Sofia's breakfast burrito, bacon with green, they get your order to you very fast which makes me think that all the ingredients are pre made back in the kitchen awaiting assembly. My burrito could have been a little hotter (temperature hot), but the flavor was excellent and the green chile was on point. The Blakes burrito is made while you wait and the wait is upwards of 5 min when they are busy, but the finished product is worth waiting for. I have to give a slight nod to the Blakes burrito but to be honest both are the "real deal", I'm going to try Sofia's again maybe next time I will have enough time to do a sit down meal.

Thanks Ben for the tip on this restaurant.
View Quote
Glad you liked it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We also ate at the El Sombrero and the JJ's? Steakhouse.

Both were pretty good as well.
View Quote
Jackson’s Ranch Steakhouse. Their burgers are awesome there as well. Can’t remember if I mentioned that.

Glad you liked them. Hope your stay was great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top