Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Regarding the hike on the 7th, there's a chance of rain throughout the day, so prepare accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It tickles my soul that you all continue to push this in Cali. Right on brother's.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Tomorrow morning's the next hike.

ETA:  I'll be hanging out by the tables in the parking lot.  Meeting time is still at 1030.  I'll wait until about 1100 or so just to be sure.  I'm the one with the beard in the photos above.  Hopefully someone from here is able to come.  I do have a couple of folks from Calguns that haven't backed out, yet.

I'll also start thinking about a hike or two for April.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
All went well and the weather today was great for a hike.  We averaged a 2 mph pace.

It was nice to meet those who made it and I hope to see y'all again in future activities.

Now I gotta plan for April (and I'm open to suggestions).  If we do April up in this part of SoCal, May will need to be down south within more convenient reach of the San Diego folks.  Right now I'm thinking about the Bridge to Nowhere trail for up here and a return to the trails by Dulzura for down there.

I also want to incorporate marksmanship more into the activities, including possibly participating together for CMP or NRA High Power or Service Rifle matches, or an Appleseed.  Hikes where discharge is legal could perhaps include some target shooting afterwards.

Took a couple of group photos.  I didn't realize on the first one that there was a branch in the way of the lens.

Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The South Bay Rod and Gun Club has matches, I used to shoot in their Palma match (reduced 300 yard match) all the time, and they also have CMP and HighPower type events. They used to have a surplus rifle event, but I'm not sure that's still a thing.

When it gets dry they will close down shooting on the BLM land, but the SBR&G range is open year round.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
subscribed
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
did we ever setup a San Diego hike? getting kinda hot now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
did we ever setup a San Diego hike? getting kinda hot now.
View Quote

Not a second one.

I've been pondering whether or not to do a hike in May, regardless of the lockdown nonsense.  Seems like the surest bet would be to utilize BLM land for the hike.  The Dulzura location might be a good one, still.  Somewhere in the desert might also be good.  Both options would allow hiking under arms.  If I can find good trails off of BLM land not closed or where the closure's not really enforced, that might also be considered, albeit most likely without arms.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems as if the enemy has been organizing in the shadows.  They appear to be well funded, too.

ANTIFA - a criminal enterprise
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not a second one.

I've been pondering whether or not to do a hike in May, regardless of the lockdown nonsense.  Seems like the surest bet would be to utilize BLM land for the hike.  The Dulzura location might be a good one, still.  Somewhere in the desert might also be good.  Both options would allow hiking under arms.  If I can find good trails off of BLM land not closed or where the closure's not really enforced, that might also be considered, albeit most likely without arms.
View Quote

Be advised there is a fire closure to shooting in the Dulzura area (that is on the BLM land). That won't change until we get sufficient rain. Shooting at the Gun Club is possible; it was closed due to covid but should open soon. I think I heard shooting from there, so it might already be open.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Be advised there is a fire closure to shooting in the Dulzura area (that is on the BLM land). That won't change until we get sufficient rain. Shooting at the Gun Club is possible; it was closed due to covid but should open soon. I think I heard shooting from there, so it might already be open.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a second one.

I'm not sure what the legality would be of bearing arms on the BLM land under those restrictions, then, since I would presume that discharge would generally be prohibited, and the legality of open carry is tied to the legality of discharge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump for new planned hike.  See OP.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
We used to do Southern California HTF Shoots at Burro Canyon.  I might be able to swing this new date.  Not sure about the hiking as I have some surgery coming up, but 35 pounds is a lot less than I used to sometimes when I was young and a little more skinny.  Not working weekends right now.  Well just for the wife.

It's been a while since I've been shooting in the desert.  I may have some target frames and a few hanging targets.  I might still have the HTF Fire Extinguisher.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two PVC target stands, a steel IPSC with hostage taker (but no mount), a steel coronavirus-shaped target, and one more steel hanger (very small, maybe a couple of inches in diameter) and a means to hang the latter two up. I also have an orange-painted movie standee with a black IPSC painted on it (it's kinda warped from the rain, though), plus two more than have already been shot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Two weeks.  Anyone else interested?  So far we have one maybe besides myself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Looked at the standards.  Just a comment. I stopped having to do the PFT in January 1995.  I sure as hell am not even going to think about doing one again, especially in 3 digit temperature.

I might be able to get another shooter, but realistically, the push back from the womenfolk that have a say, or two, or too many, about these things.  Going out there in these prospective temps is liable to get a flat "NO".    So we'll watch that
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I am interested.  I have a couple of steel plates I can bring.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looked at the standards.  Just a comment. I stopped having to do the PFT in January 1995.  I sure as hell am not even going to think about doing one again, especially in 3 digit temperature.

I might be able to get another shooter, but realistically, the push back from the womenfolk that have a say, or two, or too many, about these things.  Going out there in these prospective temps is liable to get a flat "NO".    So we'll watch that
View Quote

While the area would be a good one to do the run portion of the PFT due to the terrain (not too much incline or decline for a distance that permits running halfway and then running back), I don't plan on having us do PFTs there at this time.  Focus will be the hike and any shooting we might do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I do a lot of walking so the run would probably not be an issue.  Especially if we use the standards for my age group.  If they even go that high.  At least for the time being, sit-ups are off the menu.  Old man issues to be corrected.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I'm out for this weekend.  AT&T is coming at 0830.  "Line Problems"  Their line.  2-4 hours usually to fix.  

Drop me a PM on location I might try to head out if it doesn't get too late..
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well I'm out for this weekend.  AT&T is coming at 0830.  "Line Problems"  Their line.  2-4 hours usually to fix.  

Drop me a PM on location I might try to head out if it doesn't get too late..
View Quote

It's next weekend.  I'm not even going to be in CA this weekend.  @PaDanby

Speaking of this hike, I'm glad I didn't try to stick with the Bridge to Nowhere.  That clearly wouldn't be happening any time soon.  Fire in August, and now a fire over the last few days, and likely continuing for a while.  I'm wondering what the trail area will look like after these fires.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I noticed your post about Tucson and it started to click.  Then the other possible shooter reminded me  we were looking at weekend after this one.  So it's still possible.

Have you heard about whether Burro Canyon is affected?  I heard it jumped 39 last night so it really moved.  I'm running out of places I used to go in the San Gabriels for Scouts and family that haven't burned at least once in the last few years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I noticed your post about Tucson and it started to click.  Then the other possible shooter reminded me  we were looking at weekend after this one.  So it's still possible.

Have you heard about whether Burro Canyon is affected?  I heard it jumped 39 last night so it really moved.  I'm running out of places I used to go in the San Gabriels for Scouts and family that haven't burned at least once in the last few years.
View Quote

My understanding is that access to the roads you'd need to take to get to Burro is closed to anyone who does not reside or own property there.  It got closed during the last one, according to the Forest Service guy I ran into in Glendora while working.  GMR and East Fork both got closed, so no way to access Burro.

When I looked at where the smoke was coming from yesterday, it kinda looked like it was starting to hit the San Dimas Experimental Forest.  I could see smoke rising from the hills behind Duarte to those behind San Dimas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:50:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Figured it was closed.  But heard 39 had been jumped figured it might have neen near thereCould see the towers on Mt.  Wilson from Rosemead and the 60 today, some smoke coming from the front side looked to be over toward Monrovia or Duarte. Couldn't see the second ridge, Baden-Powell or anything out that way.

Hiked in to Bear Creek for camping a few times back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm thinking 0800 meeting time for the hike, to try to avoid the heat as much as possible and also to permit more time for shooting.  I'll likely head out there Friday afternoon to scout everything out, measure out the distance for the hike, and see if conditions require changing the route.  I'll probably just camp out on-site that evening.  I'll send out location info and the like tomorrow afternoon or evening for those who are in for the hike, as well as contact info, although once I'm on-site, comms will be spotty at best, as I'm not likely to have phone reception for more than the occasional minute.  Pretty much no provider has decent coverage in the valley.

I'm looking to set up a 6+ mile course, but at the very least it will be 3 miles, so that we can at least qualify for Provisional status if there are at least three of us there.  For Provisional status, the hike requires a 25+ lb. pack (dry weight; not including water) and a long gun, or a 35+ lb. pack weight without a long gun.  For 3rd class, if the hike is at least 6 miles, the weights for the pack go up 10 lbs. for each category and a 3mph average pace is required, although I believe there is a provision for elevation changes (probably won't be a factor at this location, though).  LBE and plate carriers do not count towards pack weight.  That is extra.

If you don't feel up to carrying a pack or weapon for whatever reason, no worries, but I'd encourage it.

If those going feel a later time is needed, let me know.

I'd like to try and get a head count of those confirming that they can go, or who are at least highly likely to go.  If we have at least three before I'd be set to leave on Friday, then it's on.  If it looks like we won't get any turnout, it'll have to get rescheduled, obviously.  Hikes in forest and wilderness areas seem to be a no-go right now, and could be for some time, so we'll probably have to stick to the desert for the time being (unless someone has suitable private property for this and is willing to permit its use for the same).

ETA: While I had no plans on running the PFT, if folks are interested in it and we have the time to spare, that's always a possibility as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#27]
A shout out to the folks here who have expressed an interest or might have one in APC/BB.

@mleeper99
@PaDanby
@HDLS
@Sixtigers
@Paul
@leungken
@maggiethecat
@andersw
@bajagringo
@codzilla
@Saber7
@slappomatt
@Avila33
@Polerouter
@DonS
@BusaBoy2009
@spearogun
@Chukar
@50_Shooter
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd also appreciate input on good training activities for the shooting portion.  The terrain offers us a lot of options, especially if we end up having the whole place to ourselves (there is a decent chance for that).

@Ben Have you come up with standards or anything like this we can use for a basis for firearms training this weekend?  Have any standards changed for the hikes compared to what's on the APC website?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
My youngest turns 25 Saturday and we are BBQing here at the house, so I'm not going to make this one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I am in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Hot day.  Cool night.

Fire map shows nothing as of 16SEP2020.

No shooting at night in the Calico area (San Bernadino County)

If staying overnight, no open flames.  No campfires or stoves.

Seems to be ok to shoot during daylight hours.  There is a restriction on Central California for target shooting right now, but I think Calico/San Bernadino County isn't included in that area.

ETA: (...and most of the Los Angeles area)
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#32]
If we can keep up a good pace and start reasonably close to the meeting time, we should be done with the hike before it hits 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Send me the info.  I'm really out of shape, though.  Might slow you all down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Send me the info.  I'm really out of shape, though.  Might slow you all down.
View Quote

PM sent.  No worries, I'm not in the best shape myself.  Working on it, though.  If someone is falling behind, we won't leave someone behind.  We'll adjust the pace or, if we have a large enough group, someone can (and it'll be myself if no one volunteers) stay with you while the faster members move on, or go with you to head back if you (or anyone else) feels the need.  I'll be promoting the practice of the buddy system I learned in the Boy Scouts for activities like this.

Depending on how things look when I head out there, I may keep the hike shorter, but still enough to qualify for Provisional status for those who complete the hike with pack as specified.

Also, seeing the APC marksmanship standards, if anyone has any B-27 targets they can donate or would be willing to bring and sell, that'd be awesome.  We could then try our hand at the qualifications.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Some stuff came up that just needed to get done today, so I'll just be heading out there very early in the morning instead of this afternoon and camping out there.  I'm looking to get there personally by 0630.  Should be plenty of time to check things out and measure out the distance before the 0800 meet time.  So anyone who hasn't said they're in, yet, who wants to come out can still post this evening and I can send the location info.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not going to make it.  Family command performance has arisen, and I would have to leave too early to get home and then cleaned up.  My post-surgery recovery is coming along, but between that and the heat.  Well not an argument I can win with the wife right now. Besides with my luck lately, Cajon Pass would catch fire and I'd get stuck out there.  Looks like they are sweating that from Bobcat Fire anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry, cannot make it either, family commitments.
Please do keep me on the list, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#39]
The hike went pretty well.  Still need to work on picking up the pace a bit.  Weather was great, and air quality wasn't bad.  We did some shooting afterwards from ~30 to 200 yards.  I think I finally have my pack adjusted correctly, as I did not experience the weight shifting to my upper body like I did on previous hikes.  Especially given the present conditions, we may end up using this location again for the next hike.  I'm going to try and go out and explore a bit more and try to create a longer course, or get some targets so we can work on the rifle and pistol standards.  No pictures this time.  I'm hoping we can get more signed up for the next one.

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#40]
What was your pack setup, if you don’t mind me asking?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What was your pack setup, if you don’t mind me asking?
View Quote

See below.  BTW, were you trying to find us at all, or just didn't make it?  I was gonna try and touch base that morning, but neither of us had reception.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I just didn’t make it. I’m a night shift worker, and try as I might I couldn’t make myself sleep as soon as I got off shift.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I often work nights, and have for a long time, so I know how that is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I’d like to know about the next one please.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Looking forward to make it to the next one.

Desert riding season is upon us though, so we will see.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Any more hikes planned? Would like to get out again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Any more hikes planned? Would like to get out again.
View Quote

I'm trying to come up with something for February or March.  Almost every weekend for the next few weeks has something going on for me (work, Cola Warrior, other stuff).  I had meant to announce a hike for this month (for last weekend), but I got COVID and ended up not doing it.  

Possible weekends that could work would be the 30th of this month, the 6th of February, and the 6th of March.

@DonS Do you know if the area we hiked in Dulzura is open to shooting again (so we can legally bear arms on our hike)?  I wouldn't mind doing that area again.  Another option would be trying to get more folks for the desert location we used last time (Calico Meadows), which could also incorporate shooting into the event.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#48]
@bigstick61

It is still under fire closure. I was out there last weekend.

They won't open it to shooting until there is more rain.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Set up an e-mail for the SoCal Chapter (AFAIK nothing yet in Central or Northern CA).  apc.socal at protonmail.com

If you can't reach me through here for APC stuff, I can be reached through there.  If you have someone not interested in ARFCOM but interested in APC, that's where they should send their inquiries.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Snip (AFAIK nothing yet in Central or Northern CA).  
View Quote

@bigstick61

If there are any folks in the Tahoe/Susanville/Sacramento/Roseville/Auburn area (or further out even) that may want to join APC events with the Sierra Nevada Battle Buddies forming up out of Reno, you can contact apc.sierranevada at protonmail.com.  Also, look for posts in the NV HTF or the APC Hometown forum page.

Bigstick, I sent you a message to your apc email as well.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top