Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2019 2:00:43 PM EDT
$1606 won't be enough to get him reelected....
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe there’s enough people who vote and also have an income and don’t want to see an income tax?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe there’s enough people who vote and also have an income and don’t want to see an income tax?
View Quote
Doubtful. Even before this people tried to get him recalled. They placing the blame for everything at his desk instead of the scumbags that caused the mess.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It's astounding how entitled a good chunk of the population of this state is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's astounding how entitled a good chunk of the population of this state is.
View Quote
Yeah.  That is one thing that makes me think different about folks I am/was on friendly terms with.  I just can't think of them as "one of us" after they go on a rant about the PFD/abortion/gun control, etc.

That mindset, and how prevalent it is, makes me less regretful about moving south to the stinking desert.  The Alaska I grew up in is gone.

I finally took my Alaska plates off my truck after dark, Sept. 30.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Dunleavy will not be re-elected.  His entire campaign was based off of a $3k PFD, come hell or high water, and he didn't deliver.   It doesn't matter why., the average voter just wants their free money.

No worries though, before long the state will absorb the PFD, pass income tax, statewide sales tax, and fund every liberal program known to man.  I give it 5 yrs max with the amount of liberals in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:35:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dunleavy will not be re-elected.  His entire campaign was based off of a $3k PFD, come hell or high water, and he didn't deliver.   It doesn't matter why., the average voter just wants their free money.

No worries though, before long the state will absorb the PFD, pass income tax, statewide sales tax, and fund every liberal program known to man.  I give it 5 yrs max with the amount of liberals in Anchorage.
View Quote
Hate to say it, but you're probably right.  Locally I've seen about 10-15 people talking about how they just moved up here from Portland, Seattle, Spokane, etc, and can't wait to sign up for stuff.  Not hunting and fishing with those icky guns, but medicaid, PFD, etc.

I grew up here and this crap just kills me.  Probably having to move south in the next few years due to my health, but it still won't be easy.  Maybe the state turning into a dumpster fire will give incentive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hate to say it, but you're probably right.  Locally I've seen about 10-15 people talking about how they just moved up here from Portland, Seattle, Spokane, etc, and can't wait to sign up for stuff.  Not hunting and fishing with those icky guns, but medicaid, PFD, etc.

I grew up here and this crap just kills me.  Probably having to move south in the next few years due to my health, but it still won't be easy.  Maybe the state turning into a dumpster fire will give incentive.
View Quote
This state after moving here and assessing current politics is 10-15 years away from a California style state.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This state country after moving here and assessing current politics is 10-15 years away from a California style state.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if the valley will allow that. I have a friend who is supposedly conservative but once the PFD was not 3k he bowed out of his support. He's more of a well fare child anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Kevin Meyer...
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#11]
At this point, I think it's still up in the air as to if Dunleavy will get another term.  Recent history as far as gubernatorial elections go would suggest Dunleavy will get one term.  I'm not convinced yet, and I think he still has a shot at another term.

The biggest mistake Dunleavy made was putting Tuckerman Babcock in as Chief of Staff from the start.  Significant mistakes were made such as having Exempt and Partially Exempt State employees sign a pledge to this administration if they wanted to keep their "at will" jobs.  That resulted in unnecessary lawsuits being filed by vile creatures such as Libby Bakalar from the Department of Law and others.  Dunleavy should have done what every other administration does and have all the "at will" employees submit their resignation letters, then let go the employees they didn't want.  Babcock and Dunleavy made it "appear" political.  Now it will take time to dig out from that mistake, and they may even lose in court if it can be sold as politically motivated by the ACLU.  Then we are ALL stuck with horrific people such as Libby for how ever long she wants a job with the State.

The same point can be made about Dunleavy vetoing $334,700 in funds to the Alaska Appellate Court System over the Medicaid funding for abortions.  He made an "announcement" of why he was vetoing that specific amount, which was due to the Executive and Legislative Branch's of government objection to this use of those funds for abortions.  The courts said you have to do it.  You can debate the merits and politics of the courts opinion all day.  The bottom line is that Dunleavy would have been smart to veto an unspecific amount, say $400,000, and not give a reason other than he is cutting every where.  He could legally argue that point, because he is trying to cut in other places.  Again, this lawsuit could have potentially been avoided or thrown out.  Now Dunleavy is having to waste valuable time and resources over a stupid mistake.

As far as the PFD goes, he did what he had to do to win by promising a full PFD again.  Where he made his mistake is not selling his plan to the people.  He should have been making a tremendous amount of noise in any way possible about his plan.  Maybe take a page from Trump's playbook and go all in on social media about it.  It's the Legislature that holds the keys to the PFD, and Dunleavy missed the opportunity to get Alaskans "ON THE SAME PAGE" as him, and hold the Legislative Branch accountable for their actions.  Alaskans needed leadership and a point man showing where and when to attack, and Dunleavy has yet to provide that.

Much of this boils down to a failure in his communication team.

More failures lay at Dunleavy's feet, along with his trusted insider Brett Huber who is his Senior Policy Advisor.  They have put some terrible picks in senior leadership positions such as former Deputy Chief of Staff Jeremy Price, former Department of Administration Commissioner Jonathan Quick who had to resign because he severely embellished his qualifications to become DOA Commissioner, and Department of Transportation Commissioner John MacKinnon.  MacKinnon kept pretty much all of the previous administrations leadership in place, and has allowed internal corruption and severe mismanagement to go unchecked.  MacKinnon has made some absolutely idiotic decisions such as closing the Sivertip Highway Maintenance camp at the Hope Junction who were responsible for plowing Turnangain Pass, and trying to shut off the lights on the Glenn Highway at night from Anchorage to the valley.  There is PLENTY of room for cuts in DOT before you get to these types of public safety cuts.

Dunleavy still has a chance, but he is out of time to get his act together.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At this point, I think it's still up in the air as to if Dunleavy will get another term.  Recent history as far as gubernatorial elections go would suggest Dunleavy will get one term.  I'm not convinced yet, and I think he still has a shot at another term.

The biggest mistake Dunleavy made was putting Tuckerman Babcock in as Chief of Staff from the start.  Significant mistakes were made such as having Exempt and Partially Exempt State employees sign a pledge to this administration if they wanted to keep their "at will" jobs.  That resulted in unnecessary lawsuits being filed by vile creatures such as Libby Bakalar from the Department of Law and others.  Dunleavy should have done what every other administration does and have all the "at will" employees submit their resignation letters, then let go the employees they didn't want.  Babcock and Dunleavy made it "appear" political.  Now it will take time to dig out from that mistake, and they may even lose in court if it can be sold as politically motivated by the ACLU.  Then we are ALL stuck with horrific people such as Libby for how ever long she wants a job with the State.

The same point can be made about Dunleavy vetoing $334,700 in funds to the Alaska Appellate Court System over the Medicaid funding for abortions.  He made an "announcement" of why he was vetoing that specific amount, which was due to the Executive and Legislative Branch's of government objection to this use of those funds for abortions.  The courts said you have to do it.  You can debate the merits and politics of the courts opinion all day.  The bottom line is that Dunleavy would have been smart to veto an unspecific amount, say $400,000, and not give a reason other than he is cutting every where.  He could legally argue that point, because he is trying to cut in other places.  Again, this lawsuit could have potentially been avoided or thrown out.  Now Dunleavy is having to waste valuable time and resources over a stupid mistake.

As far as the PFD goes, he did what he had to do to win by promising a full PFD again.  Where he made his mistake is not selling his plan to the people.  He should have been making a tremendous amount of noise in any way possible about his plan.  Maybe take a page from Trump's playbook and go all in on social media about it.  It's the Legislature that holds the keys to the PFD, and Dunleavy missed the opportunity to get Alaskans "ON THE SAME PAGE" as him, and hold the Legislative Branch accountable for their actions.  Alaskans needed leadership and a point man showing where and when to attack, and Dunleavy has yet to provide that.

Much of this boils down to a failure in his communication team.

More failures lay at Dunleavy's feet, along with his trusted insider Brett Huber who is his Senior Policy Advisor.  They have put some terrible picks in senior leadership positions such as former Deputy Chief of Staff Jeremy Price, former Department of Administration Commissioner Jonathan Quick who had to resign because he severely embellished his qualifications to become DOA Commissioner, and Department of Transportation Commissioner John MacKinnon.  MacKinnon kept pretty much all of the previous administrations leadership in place, and has allowed internal corruption and severe mismanagement to go unchecked.  MacKinnon has made some absolutely idiotic decisions such as closing the Sivertip Highway Maintenance camp at the Hope Junction who were responsible for plowing Turnangain Pass, and trying to shut off the lights on the Glenn Highway at night from Anchorage to the valley.  There is PLENTY of room for cuts in DOT before you get to these types of public safety cuts.

Dunleavy still has a chance, but he is out of time to get his act together.
View Quote
I’ll speak to the issues on the transportation side. It seems as if Alaska DOT&PF is years behind issues that face other State DOTs in the country. The agency shouldn’t be responsible for two missions. Public facilities and the transportation system. Although, one could argue the transportation system is a public facility. My point is the two missions appear to be at odds with each other such as competing for the same little resources available.

Another issue I have is highway design pertaining to Alaska 1. Planners in the past knew of the growth in Anchorage Borough and Mat-Su Borough. Why have a completely at grade highway that runs through the middle of town? Even a limited access highway portion running on the outskirts of east Anchorage would of been better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, shutting off the lights on the Glenn Highway will increase the chance of traffic accidents according to research. There is a huge internal fight inside WSDOT about turning off lights on highway systems. Guess what? It’s being ordered down from Governor Jay Inslee.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't care about the $3k dividend, I wanted him to slash the budget, and he did it. Or made a serious attempt.

If Alaska wants to become a blue state they are welcome.  But I'll leave, probably to Idaho, if they do.  Good luck funding their precious unionized state employee pensions without oil revenues or productive citizens.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I didn't care about the $3k dividend, I wanted him to slash the budget, and he did it. Or made a serious attempt.

If Alaska wants to become a blue state they are welcome.  But I'll leave, probably to Idaho, if they do.  Good luck funding their precious unionized state employee pensions without oil revenues or productive citizens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those precious pensions are the same for union, nonunion, appointed and elected positions... Newbies have been getting 401k for a while now..

Hate to say, but Idaho is getting inundated with Californians. I am spending a lot of time in southern Utah. Same is happening here.  Except very few zombies and much less crime..
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Since 2007 the PERS changed to a 401 K style, good bad or indifferent that is part of the equation why people are not staying in public employment. AST hardly keeps any of their classes past the 5 year point, and many states like washington and oregon gladly accept Alaska LEO's with minimal questions. Can't keep lawyers, clerks, or many skilled labor either. If you look at it the states responsibility for pensions is gradually decreasing as people die off. It's like transferable machine guns, there are only so many out there and since no new employees can go into the PERS old style tiers. Hope that makes sense.

I have bigger questions like the head of DOT being married to someone who was on budget committees and the whole McKenna Brothers thing. Totally unqualified people being in charge of DOC and other agencies (Nancy Dhalstrom as an example)  I get their is always a good ole boy system but you can't tell me there isn't someone who actually has a prison background or something . DPS at the Dept comm feel at least has a guy who was a cop, the figure head is a woman who looks good in a photo but never rode a patrol car, her family did but she lacks any real world experience not the surface.

I know governments screw things up alot but the shocker is the brazen in your face appointments that make zero sense, like the DHSS appointment. Anyway I think Dunleavy is a 1 term guy because he promised too much delivered nothing and got the native population against him. I know being governor sucks and you can't please everyone. A little honesty transparency go along ways though
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the whole McKenna Brothers thing.
View Quote
???  Can you expand on that?  I don't know what you're talking about. I went to high school with them, but not friends or anything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]
PolishX: please note Oregon redid it's PERS system several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I heard they also did a roll back on the traditional retirees that were already gone. But what I am talking about is Alaska certified LEO's walking into jobs down there. Their retirement here is a 401K here, the same as they get there
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 2:00:04 AM EDT
[#20]
McKenna Brothers, newest cleanest shiney trucks plowing early river streets and spreading gravel into every car parked on the street. Lots of driving around with snow on the ground and little down pressure on the blades from what I saw over the years. Not much of an issue this year but most people in the ER/Chugiak area where they are the prime contractor are not happy in the least.

It's not a "eagle river are being snobs" thing. When you drive down a street close to cars with your gravel thrower spun up coating cars thats a problem (Farm Loop in eagle river as an example). Combine that with them being Palin / Dunleavy buddies and close friends with former AGC and now DOT head John McKinnon whose wife is a senator well, call me skeptical of fair deals being given on our dime as state residents

Also the comments of the previous poster about other McKinnon ideas. They ferry system fiasco is getting ugly (Not debating the right or wrong of living in island / ferry communities). Multiple reports being paid to say the same thing. The state ferry service can't be done cheaper by privatizing AMHS. The lights issue, lots of deferred maintenance etc.

Either way I broke my own rule and got sucked into a non gun conversation on a gun forum. Thats real stupid of me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top