Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2021 4:18:06 PM EDT
By here I mean the Atlanta area in general.  

Back in OK we would already be getting bit by this time.  Here at our house I've not even seen a skeeter yet.  What time of year do they tend to emerge here?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Soon...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Ur in ATL? Ha u want ever know the meaning of skeeters n nats! Mush less horse flies! When u get swallow a pound of nats. N loose pint of blood to skeeters. N have four or five welp from horse flies. Then u can say ur from jawja!

??
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh n let's not forget about the sweat bees. Little bastards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#4]
So far it's been nice.  In Ok you get swarmed by mosquitoes, sweat bees, biting flies, horse flies, bumble bees and of course the wasps and yellow jackets.  Not much issue with gnats there.

I angered a swarm of yellow jackets once as a kid when I let the barn door slam.  I knew there were yellow jackets in the walls but I had no idea there were that many.  They swarmed and covered me as I was running to the house.  I can still remember seeing my entire shoulders and back covered in them as they stung me over and over.  All over my neck, arms, shoulders, back and head.  My mom quit trying to count the stings after thirty something.  Made me soooooo sick.  To this day I freak out when I see them.  You think a horsefly or bumblebee hurts? They have nothing on a swarm of very angry yellow jackets.  They don't stop after a sting, they just keep attacking over and over.  

I'm not scared of the skeeters and gnats here lol.  Yellow jackets? That's a whole different story.  It doesn't matter what state you're in, those things are just evil.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never considered mosquitoes a problem here, don't notice them much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Been out here at the farm in Paulding for about 3-4 weeks now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You cannot reason with wasps or yellow jackets.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Already seeing them in the NE.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Those flying biting gnat/fly things came out a week ago. Still got the bite marks from three of them I killed when mowing the grass. Baby skeeters been around already too and show up every time it warms up a little.
I see the extension website called them midges.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
So pretty much any day now.  Is there anything you guys recommend to keep them at bay other than slathering yourself in stinky spray?  Mostly I mean around your deck or patio?  I'd like to be able to enjoy sitting outside in the evenings or having cookouts and such without everyone fighting bugs.  Do citronella tiki torches actually work? We do have some of those we've never tried.  

In Ok we pretty much had to just give up the land and let the skeeters control the back deck in the evenings just because it was unbearable.  That and it doesn't cool off in the evenings there.  If was 100 degrees that day it was going to be 95 all night so there was no reprieve.  At least here it cools off more each evening.  Or at least that's what I remember from living here when I was younger.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think they ever really go away,
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been seeing them for about 3 weeks, but they show up any time there’s a few days of warm weather even in the winter. There have been a bunch of years where I was swatting mosquitoes in a deer stand in December.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So pretty much any day now.  Is there anything you guys recommend to keep them at bay other than slathering yourself in stinky spray?  Mostly I mean around your deck or patio?  I'd like to be able to enjoy sitting outside in the evenings or having cookouts and such without everyone fighting bugs.  Do citronella tiki torches actually work? We do have some of those we've never tried.  

In Ok we pretty much had to just give up the land and let the skeeters control the back deck in the evenings just because it was unbearable.  That and it doesn't cool off in the evenings there.  If was 100 degrees that day it was going to be 95 all night so there was no reprieve.  At least here it cools off more each evening.  Or at least that's what I remember from living here when I was younger.
View Quote
Avon's skin so soft. Used it in boot camp. Called it see skeeters scat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm highly allergic to Deet so I use any of the natural citrus/lemon/eucalyptus/peppermint sprays or citronella candles. They work better than Deet most of the time anyway.
View Quote

That's good to know.  We'll try some this summer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried that stuff once on a fishing trip in central Florida.  One the side of a river in the middle of the night I got the worst skeeter beating I've ever taken in my life, as did the people I was fishing with who were also using it.  I know everyone said it works but in my only experience with it, it acted more like an attractant than repellent.  It was ketchup for mosquitoes, they are it up.  I threw the bottle away as soon as I got home.  

I'll give it one more try, maybe I got a bad bottle but I'm not impressed with it so far.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Dyna Trap.  Lures them to the light and scent, sucks them in with the fan, and they die a slow, painful death by dehydration.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Thermacell lantern works pretty well on a porch, ga mosquitos usually leave me alone missouri mosquitos did not. It's worth trying multiple types of bug spray, deet is my go to, the natural citrus products don't work for me and cause my skin to burn. Main thing is make sure there's no standing water around for them to reproduce in unless you put bt in it. Or do like my neighbors and pay to have your property sprayed for them with a crop duster.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dyna Trap.  Lures them to the light and scent, sucks them in with the fan, and they die a slow, painful death by dehydration.

www.amazon.com/dp/B008JGMOGK
View Quote

Have you used this and gotten good results?  I like that it's a passive system that can run constantly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thermacell lantern works pretty well on a porch, ga mosquitos usually leave me alone missouri mosquitos did not. It's worth trying multiple types of bug spray, deet is my go to, the natural citrus products don't work for me and cause my skin to burn. Main thing is make sure there's no standing water around for them to reproduce in unless you put bt in it. Or do like my neighbors and pay to have your property sprayed for them with a crop duster.
View Quote

One of the first things we did after moving in was get rid of all the standing water.  The previous owner had a lot of junk around the property with water sitting in it.  As far as I can tell, everyone around us is pretty good about no standing water.  That may be the only reason the skeeters haven't hit us en masse yet.  I know it's coming so I'm just trying to plan ahead.  I don't want to surrender our deck to the bloodsuckers here each night like we used to have to do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have you used this and gotten good results?  I like that it's a passive system that can run constantly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B008JGMOGK

I have one on my back porch even now.  I bought the house last June, and the skeeters already had free run of the place.  It took a few weeks before I could even notice that their numbers had dropped off, but the reduction was noticeable.  They sell little scent packets to go with it, but I wasn't using any.  This year I plan to.  I put it away for winter, and I've already got it out for this year.  We'll see.  I haven't noticed any mosquitos buzzing me, but it could be that they just hate the smell of my cigars...

One thing to note, though, is that it doesn't catch only mosquitos.  It'll also catch moths, and basically any kind of flying critter that's attracted to the UV light.  I'm not sure how that will affect things like songbirds that eat those kinds of bugs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One of the first things we did after moving in was get rid of all the standing water.  The previous owner had a lot of junk around the property with water sitting in it.  As far as I can tell, everyone around us is pretty good about no standing water.  That may be the only reason the skeeters haven't hit us en masse yet.  I know it's coming so I'm just trying to plan ahead.  I don't want to surrender our deck to the bloodsuckers here each night like we used to have to do.
View Quote

You did good.

If you have any standing water, get rid of it ASAP.

Also how I was going to reply to your original post: check for any standing water and see if there's mosquito larve swimming around. They look like worms that "hinge" on their center point to move around in the water.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Good info.  Going to incorporate as much of the advice as possible.  I absolutely hate mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Got chewed up tonight. Usually they like other people better than me, but not tonight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup, I've heard of the vinegar thing and taking garlic pills.  Several years ago I tried vinegar, garlic pills and using dryer sheets.  I also tried a few other things I had read about but I can't remember what those were anymore.  None of it seemed to work for me.  I just went back to stinky OFF! spray.  It works but comes with it's own issues when your going in and out of the house.

I'm a skeeter magnet.  If I were sitting in a group of people they'd get away with a couple bites and I'd get covered with them.  Fortunately we don't have vampire bats or even vampires around here or I'd never be able to leave the house after sundown lol.

A few years ago I bought these mesh pants things you put on over your shorts and it works great.  They make one you put over your top too but I've not tried it.  You look kind of silly but it keeps the skeeters from biting anywhere it covers.  

Mostly I'm looking for ideas to protect anyone sitting out on the deck so we, and company, can enjoy the evenings during cookouts and such.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a Thermacell or citronella candles. Nothing is going to get rid of all of them but these seem to keep most of them at bay.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#30]
May end up going with a combination of those.  A thermacell plus citronella tiki torches and maybe one of those electronic bug suckers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#31]
We plant citronella all around where we sit. Usually don't have a problem.  We lord have a fan running when we're on the porch.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
May end up going with a combination of those.  A thermacell plus citronella tiki torches and maybe one of those electronic bug suckers.
View Quote

If you get a Dyna Trap, place it away from your sitting/dining area.  Its purpose is to draw flying critters TO it, and it'll lure them away from you.  I've never had good results from the citronella torches, but they are cool to look at.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#33]
(the MRS. posting here) I would suggest putting out Seven Dust/spray and put it around the areas you will be at.

I have found that if I put Seven dust out in the spring and then a few more times throughout the summer into fall, it helps to keep all the bugs away.
Also keeps the fleas and ticks of the dog all summer.

If there is any English Ivy around get rid of it, i have found they seem to love being in it. Good luck, and don't forget there is a reason that bug zappers are called Redneck entertainment, especially when having a drink or 3 at night.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
(the MRS. posting here) I would suggest putting out Seven Dust/spray and put it around the areas you will be at.

I have found that if I put Seven dust out in the spring and then a few more times throughout the summer into fall, it helps to keep all the bugs away.
Also keeps the fleas and ticks of the dog all summer.

If there is any English Ivy around get rid of it, i have found they seem to love being in it. Good luck, and don't forget there is a reason that bug zappers are called Redneck entertainment, especially when having a drink or 3 at night.
View Quote

We've not put any bug stuff around the outside of the house.  We always did it around our old house, we need to do it here too so thanks for reminding me.

Thanks for the heads up on the English ivy.  We have that stuff EVERYWHERE around our house.  It's a new plant to me and I didn't know that mosquitoes like it.  Any advice on how to get rid of it?  

We definitely need a good old fashioned blue light bug zapper.  They are definitely entertaining lol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Sevin dust won't do much if anything for mosquitoes, crawling stuff sure, the english ivy will need to be killed with a brush killer with triclopyr plus glyphosate with a crop oil or NIS, if there's anything that the ivy is growing on that you want to live it's best to paint it directly on the leaves instead of spraying it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Bayer has a liquid brush killer concentrate in a blue bottle that I have had great luck with in the past. I mix it a little strong (it calls for 4oz to a gallon, I go 6oz), and here is the secret, add some liquid dish soap into the mix, I give it a good squirt or two. Dosn't matter what kind of liquid dish soap. The soap helps the chemical (a defoliant) adhere to the leaves which have, as my dad calls it, a slick side, and I have the best luck when the temps are going to be warm/hot and no rain for a few days.

Get up early and spray the crap out of it, it just shrivels up.

You do have to retreat every few months, but after 2 years it should be mostly if not all dead. Mine is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#37]
We use the cans of fogger when they get bad down here near Savannah.  A can of fogger will usually keep an area free of mosquitos for up to a week if it doesn't rain.  A thermacell on the picnic table a 1/2 hour before we eat works as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top