Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2021 9:32:13 AM EDT
...with drivers here in AZ?  It can't all be the California virus.  Third day in a row where there has been a head-on crash on one of the freeways.  Latest was I-17 & Greenway.  Is it a gang-related game or something or are these drivers just stupid and can't read the signs for the on/exit ramps?  Being a crazy ex-Michigan/ex-Florida driver, I sure as hell would prefer drivers from those states over people here.  Sheesh.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess is they are just wasted.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Drunk people can't drive as well as they think they can??

It is odd that all of a sudden, they're reporting all the head on crashes. I'm pretty sure we've had drunk drivers in this state for a long time!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think there is a day goes by when I am driving that I don't see a near accident, especially in the roundabouts here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Creeping out into the intersection to make a left hand turn, see these almost every week.      Saw the aftermath of that 17/Greenway last night on my why home from work. Flares and caution tape everywhere.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing new.. It's been like this since I moved here in 2005.  The first week I lived here I saw an accident a day.

1. Arizona is a melting pot of driving styles from all over the country.
2. Snowbirds
3. Drunk driving
4. Cell phones

I was almost in a head on on 87 near sycamore creek years ago.. guy did not realize the freeway was split where we were and did not see he'd had to keep going through the median to get to his direction.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
if you live here plan on getting rear ended by an uninsured unapologetic driver

make sure your insurance covers the loss of your vehicle and protects you in case you are unable to work and makes you financially whole again

don't fall in love with your vehicle as someone soon will be along to hit it

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Freeways are still new to us.

I have noticed a lot of Texas and Nevada plates here lately. Driving like morons.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Freeways are still new to us.

I have noticed a lot of Texas and Nevada plates here lately. Driving like morons.

View Quote

Usually when crossing borders into Nevada, the moronic driving stops, and the Texans I see here are just cautious

Is that the problem, not moving fast enough for ya at twice the speed limit
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
People in the Phoenix valley just drive like idiots.  

It's not as bad down here in Tucson because our shitty roads slow down the maniacs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Chirak has shootings, San Fran has homeless, we have wrong way drivers. If you can't speak and read the language, signs have no meaning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have noticed a lot of Texas plates here lately. Driving like morons.

View Quote

Texicans think they own the mf'n road and everything else.  Bunch of ex-slave owning, rich assed dickheads.  New Messicans have hated them arseholes since the mid 1800s.

Fuck Tejas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People in the Phoenix valley just drive like idiots.  

It's not as bad down here in Tucson because our shitty roads slow down the maniacs.
View Quote

My son, who lives in Tucson, says the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My son, who lives in Tucson, says the same thing.
View Quote

Yep, the speed limit is so slow in some places, you have to ride the brake so as not to speed.  Still doesn't stop the crazies from J walking and getting hit.

I talked to an insurance guy last month.  He told me 4 out of 10 don't have insurance in this State.  Tucson seems to be the Hit & Run capital of the world.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing new.. It's been like this since I moved here in 2005.  The first week I lived here I saw an accident a day.

1. Arizona is a melting pot of driving styles from all over the country.
2. Snowbirds
3. Drunk driving
4. Cell phones

I was almost in a head on on 87 near sycamore creek years ago.. guy did not realize the freeway was split where we were and did not see he'd had to keep going through the median to get to his direction.
View Quote

Add to all of this how the slightest bit of water lifts oil on the road surface and it's surprising we don't have more accidents.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Its the fucking Snowturds. Blue hairs and grandpa kettle forget what way the flow of traffic is.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Strange how this doesn't happen on the East Coast where the highways are older and there is less room - but they have their own unique problems.

This problem is a combinations of various factors, some already mentioned above.

First is drunkeness / intoxication, combine that with being a snowbird - elderly and unfamiliarity with the roads - and now my damning indictment.
ADOT sux. Their engineering of the highway system is shit - this is just my opinion of course.
Look at the sweeping ramps for the transition from freeway to feeder roads - just one example: in Surprise, Bell Rd at Loop 303. if you miss your ramp on 303 and overshoot it, there is another ramp pointed in the right direction to get you there, only it is not. IT places you on the wrong side of the highway. This is a real problem and I see it on interchanges all over the Valley. No bueno - and I blame the ADOT engineers.
I also by and large do not see these kind of ramps on the east coast, and I also did not see a huge problem with wrong way drivers either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:36:39 AM EDT
[#17]
The way the freeway intersections are setup here with main roads, it's actually pretty easy to turn left and drive right up the off ramp the wrong way.  Other cities I've lived in, when you get on or off the freeway, there's always a giant loop 1/4 mile  before or after the freeway to enter or exit.  Even if you want to go left to get on the freeway, you still have to turn right and follow the loop all the way around before it dumps you on the freeway.  Same thing off.  It's literally impossible to accidently turn left onto the off-ramp in that configuration.  I didn't realize why they did that until I moved back to phoenix and almost turned left onto the off-ramp.  Add some out-of-towners and some booze and dope, and it's easy to see why it happens.  

If you see the photo below, to turn left onto the freeway from either direction you have to cross all the way over the freeway and loop around the direction you want to go.  Pretty clever.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Is there even any drivers ed required in AZ? People up here do not know what a turn signal is for or they turn them on while they are turning.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
One person who'd done a ride-along with Phx PD related that we have 1 wrong-way driver per day, in the Valley. Apparently it's common enough that the media has quit reporting it. Not enough Man_bites_Dog, anymore.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]
They need to put one way tire spikes on the ramps, stupidity should cost money!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I was born and raised here and after serving in Cali with the military - our drivers are quite sane compared to Cali. As for Tucson roads, my sainted mother always said Tucson was the only city she knew of who could take a pothole and turn it over into a bump. Driving down Stone downtown was a fast was to check how tough you suspension was. Hell, it took MANY accidents on Hacienda del Sol for them to finally split it and close it off to morons, like yours truly. River Road infamous Dead Mans Curve lasted for decades before being renovated into something approaching sanity.
Phoenix...I drive up there usually once a week and I don't see many complete idiots, but the ones I do see tend to have out of state plates and be, (relatively), old. The locals who are bad are the kids with ht roads and blasting stereos and of course the newly legalized recreational dope won't help much.
Oil on the road? Hell yes, if thee isn't enough, let somebody drive by in a rust bucket and add some more...we have to have the slippery oily roads, especially for the fast drivers. Oddly enough, rusted cars come from places where they salt the roads for snow...we don't ever salt the roads. We DO "chip seal", which lays out enough sticky gravel to ruin your lower paint job and put nice nicks in your windshield. Yes, AZ roads are NOT well laid out for drainage - drive down Alvernon in Tucson and see how it was designed as an open air sewer. We get so little rain that we forget about it until it hits and everybody goes nuts.
The wrong way drivers have always been here, but in 40 years of driving in this state and others, I do not recall ever seeing one.
Perhaps I will find an old cash transport armored truck as a daily driver instead. I was in one that was hit by a mobile home on a transporter. House was trashed, truck was fine...only time I was in a stationary vehicle hit by a moving house.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Reminds me of a Rasta Record, 'Drive Like a Phoenician'.  "make a left turn from the right lane.................way slow, way slow, waaaaaay sloooooow, drive like a Phoenician".

Too many people on the road who think they own the madafaka.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, marijuana has been legal for a few weeks now...just sayin'...
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Reminds me of a Rasta Record, 'Drive Like a Phoenician'.  "make a left turn from the right lane.................way slow, way slow, waaaaaay sloooooow, drive like a Phoenician".

Too many people on the road who think they own the madafaka.
View Quote

Arizona is God's country. Texas is made of what was left over. New Methico is where he piled up all the stuff He didn't want to put in New Jersey!

(We all have our prejudices.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Too many FIPs* adding to the mix.

*Fucking Illinois People(s)
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They need to put one way tire spikes on the ramps, stupidity should cost money!
View Quote

Those things have cost the state money before.  They have them at the front gate at Papago National Guard Armory.  A few years ago they broke and damaged the tires if anyone driving over them even in the right direction.  They ended up buying new tires for anyone who had driven over them, which was dozens of sets of tires.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Impatience.

Drugs/alcohol/stupidity adds to it but people here are so mfing impatient... Not just driving but for anything and everything.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm an aggressive driver.

Spent five days' vacation in the LA area a few years ago. One polite thing I can say is the majority of them is they can drive. You have to be a bit touched to drive over there. 22 miles took 2.25 hours in rush hour with google maps showing the "quickest" route.

No comment on the rest of the state, except the sunset on the beach.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Here is another one.

Looks like an impaired driver was the reason.

Yes, everyone here seems impatient as well.  I see a lot of idiots weaving in and out of traffic on I-17 daily doing 20+ over the speed limit.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I just don't get the blowing of stop signs just to cut off oncoming cars that have the obvious right of way per traffic laws, just to drive twenty feet to a red light already there. Seriously, what are you supposed to win? Is this a display of dominance thing? Whom are you trying to dominate with that little dick of yours? And how on earth are you trying to be an alpha when the car you cut off pulls up next to you and you do almost anything to avoid eye contact?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
The on ramp lights to get onto I-17 are working again from within the city, but looks like the majority of people are ignoring them more now that they were working before they turned them off.

I know I didn't need to take a test when I received my AZ license.  Of course, I had a valid license already from another state at the time, so is it only for new drivers?  Does AZ residents need to take a test to renew theirs?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
...with drivers here in AZ?  It can't all be the California virus.  Third day in a row where there has been a head-on crash on one of the freeways.  Latest was I-17 & Greenway.  Is it a gang-related game or something or are these drivers just stupid and can't read the signs for the on/exit ramps?  Being a crazy ex-Michigan/ex-Florida driver, I sure as hell would prefer drivers from those states over people here.  Sheesh.

View Quote

All traffic laws are considered optional in Mexico.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is there even any drivers ed required in AZ? People up here do not know what a turn signal is for or they turn them on while they are turning.
View Quote

I worked someone who said she refused used turn signals. When I asked why, she replied, "Then people will know what I am going to do and then try to cut me off."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top