Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2020 6:30:48 PM EDT
Going to be clearing some land and I'm looking for a good shirt and pants that will not be to warm but will keep the mesquite thorns and cactus thorns from tearing me up!

I'm waiting until fall to start most of my clearing but I'm going to have to do some things outdoors like put a fence or barbwire up soon have the snake boots and have also been trying to find snake proof gloves but have had no luck with anyone on Amazon telling me that poisonous snakes can't bit through the gloves.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
When you find something, share it with the rest of us. Come summer, I am soaked. Dickies work shirts don't seem to dry on your body. Now I have had some luck wearing a UA t-shirt under my work shirt. I also just ordered a Dickies "cooling tee" but I haven't worn it yet. Hanes x-temp shirts are ok as an undershirt, but they look like shit after not much washing.

I also have a RedKap work shirt that is supposed to wick the sweat, not sure about that one yet.

I do love my Saxx underwear. Expensive, but my balls don't stick to my thighs. Cotton wrangler jeans stay soaked too. I tried some cotton poly dickies jeans, hated them, they didn't breath. I'm hunting around for an alternative.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Big lights and work at night
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Carrhart button up long sleeve work shirt.  Looks like a dress shirt.  Built from heavier material.

Pants, same thing.

Drink lots of water.  

Any loose fitting long sleeve shirt will do.  If you wear an undershirt, change it for a dry one at before each 'break' which should be every 1.5-2 hours or so.

I've never really heard of snake proof gloves - short of something like those gloves used by the line slicers at factory meat processing plants.  Just watch where you put your hands.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Wrangler Blue denim or Khaki  Western work shirts and blue jean

They soak up and hold your sweat and cool you off.  It is best not to wait till it 100 degrees to break the shirt in or yourself into wearing the shirt.

Start in the fall and wear them all winter and into the spring and you will be ready for summer.

Also wear a loose fitting hat that does not touch the top of your head.  I am used to wide brim hard hats and they allow the air to circulate around your head.  I cannot wear a t shirt or go without a hat in the sun.

When the men complain about the heat i tell them if you are going without a hat or long sleeve shirt do not complain to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snip

I've never really heard of snake proof gloves - short of something like those gloves used by the line slicers at factory meat processing plants.  Just watch where you put your hands.
View Quote

Maybe kevlar welding gloves? They can stop hot molten metal from piercing skin... rattle snake fangs may be a different story. Probably better than any of the alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe kevlar welding gloves? They can stop hot molten metal from piercing skin... rattle snake fangs may be a different story. Probably better than any of the alternatives.
View Quote

Maybe but.... i sure as heck wouldn't want to work in them all day.

Also, OP - if you're not able to identify poison oak and poison ivy do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself before clearing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Bulldozer with A/C is the only thing that will protect you from mesquite thorns and not be hot in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Maybe but.... i sure as heck wouldn't want to work in them all day.

Also, OP - if you're not able to identify poison oak and poison ivy do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself before clearing.
View Quote

I've never seen any this far out west, I assumed it was too dry.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking to clear in the fall! Yet I have to build a fence in July or June to keep my dogs in! Not that hard of labor.? Or it should not be!

I'm going to be doing maybe this is me overestimating 200 yards of a barb wire fence. We have a gate for the driveway in mind also. The rest of the land is thick brush I don't thing intelligent creatures will want to charge through it!

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Never seen a barbed wire fence that would keep a dog in.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
OP- have you ever dealt with clearing mesquite before? There's a good possibility you are biting off more than you realize, especially starting in the summer.

the path you need for the fence- can you walk it in a fairly straight line with some ducking and sidestepping or is it difficult to walk?

eta- Remedy and diesel will become your best friend for killing mesquite.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]
What kind of dirt do you have out there?

Good luck if you have rock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP- have you ever dealt with clearing mesquite before? There's a good possibility you are biting off more than you realize, especially starting in the summer.

the path you need for the fence- can you walk it in a fairly straight line with some ducking and sidestepping or is it difficult to walk?

eta- Remedy and diesel will become your best friend for killing mesquite.
View Quote

No I'm waiting to clear during the fall I just need to put the barb wire up now.

They will have to go through about 25 yards of the mesquite and cactus before they get to the wire sure that will deter them better then the barb wire.

In the area that is cleared where they can get a good run I'm building a wire fence.

The path is clear end of my property line is a famers field so it's easy to gain access to.

Also with the mesquite most of it I'm going to let dry and use it for the fire pit I plan to build big one maybe 6 feet across then have a adjustable griddle to I can use it to cook food over the fire. Then also use the wood for the large smoker I also want to build.

I'm sure I'm going to have more wood then I need and I'll keep the diesel in mind.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are only needing to fence in an area for dogs, I don't think barbed wire is the answer.  Easier and safer option is using something like rolls of  horse no climb fencing. That's what I did to create a yard area on my property for my 2 dogs.  Got 200 foot rolls of the 60inch fencing and secured it to T posts with t post clips. I set some scrap steel 4x4 posts in corners and for the gate posts.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Raised in the North like Illinois so know it all very well! I even know if you burn the stuff it can get in your lungs! Only time I really needed a gas mask during my time in the military.

In my area I have seen nothing that even looks like poison oak or ivy. But maybe in the desert it looks different? I mostly have mesquite and cactus in my land.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are only needing to fence in an area for dogs, I don't think barbed wire is the answer.  Easier and safer option is using something like rolls of  horse no climb fencing. That's what I did to create a yard area on my property for my 2 dogs.  Got 200 foot rolls of the 60inch fencing and secured it to T posts with t post clips. I set some scrap steel 4x4 posts in corners and for the gate posts.
View Quote

That's a good idea I'm going to look that one up. Only problem I have is clearing the area to put the fence up. Land is mostly thick brush. The original owners only cleared enough to make a drive way and put up a home then maybe an acre or two of land. Rest is probably how it looked when the home was built in 1940's
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Clothing...for the long sleeve shirt I've been using MX jerseys for decades.  Now, beware that not all of these are equal.  Find those that use breathable, hollow fiber technology like Cool-Max or similar generic term.  This material will breath while also wicking away moisture.  There are hiking/backpack versions using this material, but I've found I can find much less expensive choices in the MX jersey category.  But if you get any long sleeve upper with the wicking, hollow fiber material you will be way ahead.

The same goes for pants.  There are some really decent backpacking pants that are made with this type of material but have been strengthened for abrasion and such like sliding across rocks.  These would fit the bill for working in the heat, as they won't easily tear and fall apart like some lightweight backpacking pants can.

Working in Texas heat is brutal, and it's worth the money to get a fiber that won't drench or bake you like a tortilla.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably want to just clear said land from the comfort of your tractor / skid steer seat.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Nothing will keep the mesquite thorns out entirely. You don’t need snake boots just regular boot and don’t step over or pick up anything you can’t see over.  People don’t get bit I. The knee it’s the foot or hand.  How many acres of mesquite that will make a big difference in how you attempt to remove them and if you still want to drive over the area.  We had 400 acres of them and did it by hand my entire childhood, great times.   Unless you rip the land you can’t keep them out only thin them down.  Soft loose fabrics long sleeve shirt will do.  Needs a collar and I’m a fan of pearl snaps.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Alot cooler at night.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bulldozer with A/C is the only thing that will protect you from mesquite thorns and not be hot in the summer.
View Quote

The only right answer for clearing a fence row in Texas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top