Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/23/2021 7:22:45 AM EDT
I'll make the assumption that after last February a lot of people have made preparations to make it easier to endure a future situation.  Have you done anything like supplemental/alternate heat, generator or battery backup, food and water, or communications?  I know one TX HTF member reevaluated his propane requirements and I'm confident that he's already addressed this.  More than a couple have restocked (or supplemented) their supply of plumbing repair parts & materials.

I still need to get some FRS radios to communicate with my neighbors, most all are well past retirement age and a couple have medical or physical conditions and may need assistance...and at least we'd have someone to talk to.

So, are you all ready for this coming winter?  Even if this coming winter is mild with no events, you'll still have something to help you with other inconveniences that may occur.

mm

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I could probably insulate my house and fashion some parkas with the toilet paper I’ve put back over the last year.

Other than that, nothing really different.  I’m not a “prepper,” but I try to be prepared. Didn’t have any issues at home during the storm other than the inconvenience of the rolling blackouts and a dead ash tree that is scheduled to come down in a few weeks. Probably need to get some more propane for the Buddy heater.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I live out in the country have livestock, chickens and have always kept repair items around like pvc pipe and fittings. Also been at this place over 20 years and been dealing with power outages ever since have plenty of generators and fuel on hand always have. During the last bout only thing that happened was my bath/shower drain froze (beam & pier house) gonna box that part in with insulation here in the next few weeks. Also one of my stock tanks froze over but the Bull kept breaking the ice for water. What really got me was the number of people that I know local that had no clue about things and expected someone else to solve it! It’s the world we live in know blame the other guy I guess.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I was out of power for 6 days in the Big Freeze.  Luckily a friend had me stay at her house with a gas fireplace that did not need power.  I am in a rural area and have propane, not natural gas.  Tank was 60% full and useless.  Got a dual fuel generator and had my propane guys run an outside line.  All the propane furnace needs in 110, 220 for AC only.  So, all set and may have guaranteed no freeze and widespread outages just cause I did this thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup,

Yesterday completed my wiring for back up generator to the home.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a lot more hand warmer things awhile back.  Got plenty for winter trips to the mountains and pretty handy when its cold and no power
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have all the parts to hook up a generator to the house.  I have to install a trifuel kit for my generator.  I won’t be able to run my whole house, but the furnace should be able to run and my kitchen.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I was fine last year with nothing and I'll be fine this year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Our place didn't lose power but I have made some good changes over the summer.  Most of my worry is power outages in the summer.  I'm not really too worried about winter things, but it does have applications there too.   Winter things would just bundle up with basic outdoors stuff.

Set up a winter box with butane stove and cannisters for cooking.  I have about 40 gallons of water put aside for drinking, besides what is in the house for daily use.

Ditched the gas chainsaw I had from long ago but never used.  Got a Ryobi 40v that works with all my other lawn equipment.  Batteries won't work as well in the cold, not going to be bucking a load of logs, but it's enough to clear limbs off the roof or other emergency stuff.  And it always starts up without a fight.  Set up a chainsaw box with chains, sharpener, bar oil, and PPE in one place.

I need to get my chimney cleaned this fall.  We have not used the fireplace for many years.  It is gas but I wouldn't rely on that supply, sadly.  The freezing and electrical issues affect the gas supply too over time.  I don't really want to get a wood supply... but I could see my wife wanting a fire just for psychological comfort.

Need to get my trees trimmed this fall.

I have a 2000w generator and parts/oil put away.  I keep some gasoline, mostly for supply outages there rather than generator use.  I was happy to get this gas all set up right over the summer, ditched some old crappy cans and consolidated to 8 cans/40 gallons.  Rotate 2 cans every quarter going forward.  I get non-ethanol gas for this.

But primary alternate power would be a Bluetti AC200P solar generator, with 600w of portable solar panels.  I really like the plug and play simplicity, and the quiet.  Plus I've built two booster packs totaling about 6kwh extra storage (from jag35.com).  This will keep the fridge and freezer going and lots of other small electric.  But the main intention was to power a window A/C overnight for summer use, to get one room cool enough for better sleep.  Lots of interesting portable A/Cs out there now, I got this one (Midea U 8000btu, draws about 700w so the Bluetti alone will power it for 2.5 hours.  I would like to have a lot more solar and storage, but I'm pretty much near the limit of portability

Note that the solar generators are advancing quickly (capacity up, price down), today I would try for an EcoFlow, and even the Bluetti has come out with new models for essentially the same price.  But I took what I could get in May in roder to be ready for the summer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I live out in the country and got lucky that we didn't lose power during the big freeze.  I did have my refrigerator stop cooling at the time but easy just to put stuff out on the front porch in that cold.  I did have generator and house panel wired up with an interlock kit at the time but didn't have an alternate heat source if I had needed it.

I've since purchased a propane heater, hose/adapter kit for the bigger tanks, refill kit to fill the 1lb tanks, and a small single burner camp stove.  I try to keep 3 x 20lb tanks full.  Got food and drinking water plus we can run the well on a generator if needed. May pick up another USB battery pack for charging cell phone and some odds and ends.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing I'll recommend is know where your water shut-off is and know how to shut off your water.  It can save you big bucks should you have a pipe burst.

I moved to my current house in 2017 and just assumed all I had was out at the street, so I was planning on getting a water shutoff key for the city valve.  I was cleaning up around the front planter of the house one day back in the spring while doing lawn work and noticed a sprinkler valve box cover that appeared to be laying on top of the dirt.  Looked like it was just laying on top of the ground.  Out of curiosity, I started digging, and it turns out there's a water shut-off there that was completely buried over the years.  

I didn't need it during the storm, but it sure would've been nice to know about that shut-off had I needed it.  We DID need the water shut off at work when a 3/4" domestic line froze and burst and flooded most of the building, and I saw several other houses in the neighborhood getting visitors from plumbers and cleaners after the storm.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Another simple one - Think about how to keep your phones charged.  Neighborhood where my office was was without power for 2.5 days.  The building I was working in at the time was on generator the whole time, and people were coming from the neighborhood to charge their cellphones on our outside outlets.

Have a power bank, or even a few.  They're cheap insurance.  Get a booster pack for the car.  Many of them can also be used to charge your devices.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I did get a generator, dual fuel Champion.  Luckily I got it before the prices started going up...and i've been wanting to get a generator for quite a while.  I picked up a Bluetti EB55..it'll run the HTPC and TV for 8 hours, but if the power goes out internet goes out about 30 minutes later (apparently Frontier uses a pair of D-Cells as backup power)...the HTPC was 40% of the 80W draw.  The Bluetti powered the fridge for 6 hours before I got bored and hooked it up to something else.  The solar generators have changed enough in the last 3 years to move from "interesting but really expensive" to "still expensive but affordable and desirable"...the drop in charging times, increase in capacity & output has made them a practical option for me.  FYI, I got mine on sale...and Bluetti seems to put their stuff on sale every 2 weeks.

I took the 23K BTU kerosene heater (new in box) from the attic and put it in the garage, I plan to test run it for 4-5 hours when the temps cool off next Thursday.  Bought it from Lowe's in 2007 or 2008 for $85 or so.  I also had a Mr. Heater 18K BTU propane cabinet heater up there...it's in the garage too...I think my late wife saw it heavily discounted at Lowe's or HD and bought it.  I did get some wood...a couple of firewood places popped up in Garland in 2019 which made it convenient.

I have a water meter box key and a T-handle for the cutoff.  I was running up and down my street turning off the water about 3 hours after the power came back on.  I know a few of the neighbors haven't completed their repairs yet.

I've been thinking about getting a Toyo stove/heater as backup/supplemental.  I have experience with them from living/working in artic and sub-artic regions.  With ultra low sulphur diesel available and less than half the cost of kerosene the Toyo stove is pretty attractive...and with a 0.17 gallon/hr @ 22K BTU consumption.

I also have a butane hotplate for cooking.  I've had one for decades, first saw them in Korea in the 89/90 timeframe.  FYI - get your butane cans from the big Asian Supermarkets.  The cans are $4-$5 for 4 cans as opposed to $5 per can for Coleman branded stuff at Walmart.

BTW 2-packs of 1 lb propane cans are back down to $7.50 at Walmart.

mm
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 3:12:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There are better options.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#15]

I do have a smaller 5 lb propane tank.  But a lot of people don't have the larger tanks or the hoses/regulators.  

mm
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did get a generator, dual fuel Champion.  Luckily I got it before the prices started going up...and i've been wanting to get a generator for quite a while.  I picked up a Bluetti EB55..it'll run the HTPC and TV for 8 hours, but if the power goes out internet goes out about 30 minutes later (apparently Frontier uses a pair of D-Cells as backup power)...the HTPC was 40% of the 80W draw.  The Bluetti powered the fridge for 6 hours before I got bored and hooked it up to something else.  The solar generators have changed enough in the last 3 years to move from "interesting but really expensive" to "still expensive but affordable and desirable"...the drop in charging times, increase in capacity & output has made them a practical option for me.  FYI, I got mine on sale...and Bluetti seems to put their stuff on sale every 2 weeks.

I took the 23K BTU kerosene heater (new in box) from the attic and put it in the garage, I plan to test run it for 4-5 hours when the temps cool off next Thursday.  Bought it from Lowe's in 2007 or 2008 for $85 or so.  I also had a Mr. Heater 18K BTU propane cabinet heater up there...it's in the garage too...I think my late wife saw it heavily discounted at Lowe's or HD and bought it.  I did get some wood...a couple of firewood places popped up in Garland in 2019 which made it convenient.

I have a water meter box key and a T-handle for the cutoff.  I was running up and down my street turning off the water about 3 hours after the power came back on.  I know a few of the neighbors haven't completed their repairs yet.

I've been thinking about getting a Toyo stove/heater as backup/supplemental.  I have experience with them from living/working in artic and sub-artic regions.  With ultra low sulphur diesel available and less than half the cost of kerosene the Toyo stove is pretty attractive...and with a 0.17 gallon/hr @ 22K BTU consumption.

I also have a butane hotplate for cooking.  I've had one for decades, first saw them in Korea in the 89/90 timeframe.  FYI - get your butane cans from the big Asian Supermarkets.  The cans are $4-$5 for 4 cans as opposed to $5 per can for Coleman branded stuff at Walmart.

mm
View Quote

I sold my grill but kept my 3 propane tanks.  I do have a buddy heater and some small cannisters, and an adapter kit... somewhere.  Added to the list.

I also do have a kero heater up in the attic...  but no kero stored right now.  I used to have a 5-gallon can in the shed and it got rusty as hell and I was worried it was going to leak, and I haven't replaced it.  I guess I need to get another MFC or two, and dedicate it to kero.  Or a diesel heater as noted above.

I have a water valve t-handle and use it all the time, it is my SOP to turn off the house water anytime we are gone more than 1 night.  I got a note from the City saying they are replacing the water meters in our neighborhood, so hopefully the new one will be similarly accessible.  Theoretically you're not supposed to mess with the city valve, but it's too useful.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was fine last year with nothing and I'll be fine this year.
View Quote

All that hate keeps you warm huh?
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Grabbed a Mr. Heater propane heater that is safe to run in the house and I plan on getting a dual fuel generator come black Friday.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Got a 2000w dual fuel generator and currently breaking it in. Added an run hour meter and we need to run it for another half hour before the required oil change and putting it away.

Next step is to unbox the Heater Buddy and test it.

Added a pair of muck boots to keep my feet dry for running out into the ice and snow. Pipe insulation for blocking out window gaps if we have to crack one open for running extension cables.

Still need to add 2 more tanks of propane and restock plastic drop cloths/tarps and blue painter's tape.

We have tons of rechargeable battery banks for charging USB devices so we're holding off on getting the solar panels and a solar generator/power station. Prices and capabilities of them keep getting better every year so maybe next year we'll have that set up too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All that hate keeps you warm huh?
View Quote

That and a blanket.  We saw -2 here but even without power it never went below maybe 53 in the house.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#21]
My primary heat is an unvented natural gas log set in the fireplace.

It worked great during the February blackout - Kept the house nice and toasty.

We lost power for almost a week here, but the natural gas supply never even flinched. (Without power, there weren't a lot of folks using their gas furnaces).

However, the gas log set has a thermocouple for the pilot light, an oxygen depletion shut-off, and a mechanical thermostat. If any of those items failed, I'd have to rely on the Portable Buddy propane heaters (and a few 20 pound tanks of propane).

So, I ordered a 18KBTU dual-fuel wall-mounted gas heater, which will be used as a backup for the gas fireplace logs.

Attachment Attached File

It can be fitted with legs for free-standing use, and would be connected to the same gas fitting that currently supplies the gas logs. In a pinch, it could also be operated on propane.

Incidentally, the inventory of wall-mounted gas heaters has shrunk a lot over the past month, and prices have gone up - Lots of folks are buying them right now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
We faired pretty well in the house but I am doubling down on winter stuff for our show goats.   Last year a "bucket heater" really saved my ass when the water went out.  I was able to keep a water trough at 80 degrees using it which meant our show goats had a warm drink. When the trough was out/low on water I was able to melt ice/snow using it.    Heat lamps were also in very short supply and this year I have been buying a few nice ones here and there trying to make sure I have one for each pen.  I have also installed a new water line out at the pen with those freeze proof faucets.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I also do have a kero heater up in the attic...  but no kero stored right now.  I used to have a 5-gallon can in the shed and it got rusty as hell and I was worried it was going to leak, and I haven't replaced it.  I guess I need to get another MFC or two, and dedicate it to kero.  Or a diesel heater as noted above.

I got a note from the City saying they are replacing the water meters in our neighborhood, so hopefully the new one will be similarly accessible.  Theoretically you're not supposed to mess with the city valve, but it's too useful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got a note from the City saying they are replacing the water meters in our neighborhood, so hopefully the new one will be similarly accessible.  Theoretically you're not supposed to mess with the city valve, but it's too useful.

Sadly, CT's in Wylie closed about 2 months ago.  I don't know of any other place that sells kerosene from the pump.  I've heard of a place in Hutchins on 45...and that's it, I've only heard of them.  My doctor told me of a place In Greenville..or maybe Sulphur Springs, I haven't checked it out yet.

Meters....many Water Departments are moving to what we call "Direct to Billing".  The meter reader can just drive up and pick up the data without having to open the meter box.  The valving at/before the meter will not change.  

Quoted:

...Pipe insulation for blocking out window gaps if we have to crack one open for running extension cables.

I bought a pool noodle for the same purpose and for coax if I relocate the VHF/UHF radios into a different room.  Got them clearance from Wally World for 15¢.

Quoted:

However, the gas log set has a thermocouple for the pilot light, an oxygen depletion shut-off, and a mechanical thermostat.

I'd think it may be prudent just to order replacement parts and have them on hand....just in case.

Quoted:
...goats...

Pics of goats?

Thanks for all the responses!

mm
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Walmart has 2-packs of Coleman 16oz Propane for $7.97. Singles for $4.97.  Website says out of stock, but I just confirmed the Lewisville Walmart (Main St) had enough on the shelf that I didn’t feel like an asshole waking out with a dozen bottles. They are out of 2-packs, now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#25]
We made it through last years freeze pretty well. I had not prepared SPECIFICALLY for that event but we were in good enough shape that we simply watched it happen in relative comfort. My natty gas genny ran for 60 plus hours when the power went out. Our service company guys showed up UNANNOUNCED!! to service the generator on the day the power came back on. I made a great decision on who to buy from.

We had, what I thought, was a sufficient supply of bottled water. I was wrong. We didn't come close to running out BUT the consumption rate was much higher than I had imagined it would be as our water shut off as well when the small community well we're on ceased to work. I had three pallets of the large bottled water delivered and put them in my shop. Thank goodness for tractors.

Another thing that I need to improve on is having MANY more spare HF packing blankets and blue tarps. The were used to "tent" my pool equipment and some other things. I need several more small ceramic heaters to use in sensitive areas.

Firewood is already stacked two cords deep and well seasoned.

Being older we aren't likely to be "out and about" during an event like that so I don't worry about the vehicles TOO much. I had a ceramic heater under a tarp for my tractor which I moved down to the house so if the power went out at the shop ( no auto start generator) I KNEW the tractor would start. That issue has be partially solved by the recent acquisition of a Hobart engine driven welder for the shop. I can run it and back feed the panel if needed.

I've GREATLY increased the spare fuel for safety in storms like those.

Other than a few small issues we just had a good shake down cruise for bad times. I'm deep into a list of MUST HAVE items for the future and I'm getting stuff while I still can.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I was given this heater. It kicks butt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was given this heater. It kicks butt.
https://i.imgur.com/Y8cKXmy.jpg?1
View Quote

If you don't already have one, you need one of these.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Just recently put in a new co detector. The old one reached its life limit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I upgraded my generator to a 10,000 PTO generator with appropriate wiring for house connection and I bought a separate new 2,000 watt inverter generator for the smaller things like the television and charging cell phones.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Damn, you're taking the "go big or go home" mantra to a new level! Lol
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I was prepared for the last one and never lost power or had anything bad happen. I did put in this summer cut off faucets on the exterior. Frost free sillcocks are their official name. Pretty easy to do.

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#34]
We ordered a 24kw Generac generator 10/15/20.  It got installed 2 weeks before the big freeze.  Ran the whole house for the 9 hours we needed it.  Oven, heaters, and lights.  No problem.  Ran an extension cord over to my neighbors.  But after about 4-6 hours the cable and cell service died too.  Had to switch over to antenna.  Felt kind of bad as we drove through the neighborhood that night.  Only one other house had a whole house generator and a few had portables.  So, we turn off all our porch lights.  Since then I have seen three more house have whole house generator installed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I still need to wire my transfer switch into my power inlet box.  Just don't know enough or feel comfortable around electricity.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I still need to wire my transfer switch into my power inlet box.  Just don't know enough or feel comfortable around electricity.  
View Quote

Get that stuff done right... protect linemen out there is the shit trying to fix the problem.
Also, burning down your house in a snowstorm would be... inconvenient.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Get that stuff done right... protect linemen out there is the shit trying to fix the problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I totally agree. I know it can't be that hard.  The house is less than a year old and the electricians quote was over 600. The transfer switch is already mounted. Can't be but a 30 min tops job.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#38]
We were supposed to list our home for sale the day before the BIG FREEZE last year...a significant amount of my normal gear was in a storage locker, near the new home under construction.  Without a trip to storage, we were one of only two families in a 4 square block area that stayed in their homes and had no damage.  Inverter generator powered the central gas fired heat and we were both able to work from home, as normal, but with most of the extension cords in storage, we had a challenge powering  up everything we wanted at once.

A whole house generator was already planned for the new house, since it is all electric (not a choice, we bought mid-construction ) 500 propane tank feeding the Generac and the patio firepit.  Extra gas outlet plumbed to the living room and a 30,000 BTU blue-flame heater stored in the attic, in case the central unit craters.

Drinking/sanitary water storage has been moved into the house...that was a failure point last winter.  It got cold enough for the 55 gallon blue barrels in the storage shed to freeze.  We had enough water in the house for the 3 days the city water was out, but if we had gone two days longer, or had more people in the house, we would have had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I totally agree. I know it can't be that hard.  The house is less than a year old and the electricians quote was over 600. The transfer switch is already mounted. Can't be but a 30 min tops job.
View Quote

Electricians don't work cheap. We have a retired friend who is an electrician doing some work for us. He's an old guy, his wife has cancer, so I don't mind helping out. Some of the checks I've had to write, I'd gladly pay $600 to have a transfer wired in.

Hopefully next week he’ll start tying in my box.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Installing the generator and transfer switch was a DYI job for me.  I've done a few over the years.  The previous genset I installed took a 30 Ton crate to set the generator and 4 parallel sets of 750 mcm, so 16 KW felt like a toy.

I still have not wired the interlock to my heat pump aux heat.  Resistance heat is just stupid to power from a standby generator, so I need to climb into the attic and fuck with the air handler wire...with an industrial master's license, residential AC wiring still feels assbackwards to me.  If I was home all the time, i would not do it.  I'd just kill the breaker to the Aux heat if the power was out when it was really cold...but it needs to be wife proof, incase I'm off hunting or on work travel.

We'll use the fireplace if there is a power outage when temps are below 35.  If it gets really cold, a blue-flame freestanding propane heater temporarily set in the living room, with the air handle blower on should keep us toasty well into the single digits.  But locking out the second tier of resistance heat needs to be automatic, to prevent overloading the generator.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Looking at chainsaws and an 80k BTU indoor portable propane heater.

Got the outdoor/camping cooking covered.  Outdoor wood grill for larger things.  Several portable wood/stick stoves and a couple of alcohol stoves and a small propane stove with adapter for larger 20+ gallon tanks.

Got low power battery recharging covered.  A couple of 100Ah deep cell gel 800CCA batteries in parallel hooked to a 3K pure sine wave inverter.

Internet sucks if another snowpocalypse happens since central offices and/or mobile networks will need to be up and running too, that's out of my control.

Food staples got covered.  Plenty or rice, beans, canned meats.

Potable water got covered for a few days (weeks or longer as long as water utility stays on and no major breakages).  Longer than that is a problem since there are no potable surface water sources available except the lakes.  I'm leery of drinking out of those without chemical and other treatments, too damn many heavy metals and other garbage in the lakes in urban areas.

Wood got covered.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Potable water got covered for a few days (weeks or longer as long as water utility stays on and no major breakages).  Longer than that is a problem since there are no potable surface water sources available except the lakes.  I'm leery of drinking out of those without chemical and other treatments, too damn many heavy metals and other garbage in the lakes in urban areas.
View Quote

Get a water bob to flex/augment your water supply.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Got the outdoor/camping cooking covered.  Outdoor wood grill for larger things.  Several portable wood/stick stoves and a couple of alcohol stoves and a small propane stove with adapter for larger 20+ gallon tanks.

Got low power battery recharging covered.  A couple of 100Ah deep cell gel 800CCA batteries in parallel hooked to a 3K pure sine wave inverter.

Internet sucks if another snowpocalypse happens since central offices and/or mobile networks will need to be up and running too, that's out of my control.

Food staples got covered.  Plenty or rice, beans, canned meats.

Wood got covered.

View Quote

What kind of saw you looking for? Maybe I can make you a deal?
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What kind of saw you looking for? Maybe I can make you a deal?
View Quote

Looking for homeowner Stihl with at least 16" blade.  I don't need anything bigger, but slightly bigger wouldn't be bad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Get a water bob to flex/augment your water supply.
View Quote

That's not bad at all.  Are there any longer term treatment chemicals?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a lot of heat for an unvented indoor model.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's a lot of heat for an unvented indoor model.
View Quote

Yeah I thought so too. But I'd keep the fireplace going for a good draft and probably crack a few windows to be safe from a CO point of view.

This would only be for emergency heat.  The thought of a 20lb or 40lb propane tank in the house bothers me, so I'd not keep it running full time.

I'd really love a wood burning stove in the house, but it's not designed in any way for that since I have central air.  Plenty of wood around though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#48]
An 80K BTU propane heater will burn through a gallon (4.25 pounds) of propane every hour.

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...an 80k BTU indoor portable propane heater.

View Quote

I'm not sure there's a residential indoor rated propane heater that large.  It looks all of them are forced air garage/shop heaters.

mm
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's not bad at all.  Are there any longer term treatment chemicals?
View Quote

Pool shock. In granular form. Clacium hypochlorite. You can get it at Walmart.

It's really not neccessary for this scenario.

A Sawyer filter is a better thing to put back. Or a bucket berkey
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top